UKC

BioLite stove, now a pro has one so its ok to buy them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 itsThere 18 May 2013
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248336_1015150376761...

Is it ok to buy one now. Wonder if he had a cold dinner. Did he bring fuel with him. Did it charge his ipod. (its alex honnold)
 Dr.S at work 18 May 2013
In reply to itsThere:
I am tempted, its a nice idea but heavy.
 ezzpbee 18 May 2013
In reply to itsThere: has anybody used one of these stoves yet ?
 JJL 18 May 2013
In reply to itsThere:

This link
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/BioLite_Wood_Burning_CampStove/?gclid=COTjwarCoL...

suggests that it take sonly 46g of wood fuel to boil 1l water?

I'm not sure I believe that.

4 J/g/oC
Say 15 degrees to start
= 4 x 1000 x 85 = 340kJ

Air dried hardwood = 10~13,000 J/g

=> 56%~74% efficient?!

Weight 935g is a bit of a downer too.

OP itsThere 18 May 2013
In reply to Dr.S at work: I like the though of it, but i dont think its a great idea. Burning wood isnt ideal when its cold/wet and you want a fast cuppa. I did find this which looks alot more interesting.

http://www.thepowerpot.com/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1203647021/the-powerpot
Removed User 18 May 2013
In reply to itsThere:
Does it run on peat?
 ben b 18 May 2013
In reply to itsThere: At the risk of sounding like this is an AA meeting, my name is Ben and I have a BioLite stove. In my defence, I had a rebate from REI that covered the cost so effectively paid nowt for it.

There were a couple of reasons I went for it in the end: firstly as a company the idea of making a smokeless cooking stove for developing countries is (mostly) a good one - obviously deforestation risk doesn't go away but on global scale the leading risk for chronic lung disease is biomass cooking rather than cigarettes (although the cigarette companies are trying hard to catch up by injecting much more resource into causing more misery and addiction in developing countries).

Buying a BioLite supports the efforts of the manufacturer to produce a viable 'family' model. This also helps tick another obvious Guardianista pinko liberal special: since in most societies it is usually 'er indoors who does the cooking and looks after the kids, there's a potential reduction in health inequality and childhood lung disease to be had.

Secondly, I have a 7 and a 4 year old boy so it is good fun: collecting little twigs, getting a fire going, keeping it roaring away with the novelty factor of charging electrical stuff too.

Thirdly, there's something nice about cooking on a 'fire' over and above cooking on a gas stove. A portable camp fire - what's not to like?

It smokes to begin with - definitely not one for in the tent or hut - but once the fan is on it does get very hot very quickly and is almost smoke free. When adding damper substrate it will briefly smoke again, although with the fan on full it is brief. The pan holder needs to go on before the stove is lit (and lighting a fire at the bottom of the chamber can be a bit tricky) unless you have asbestos fingers. Depending on how well it is going it has two heat settings - hot and really hot - not much cordon bleu cooking here, it's a bit like an old XGK-II. It boils things. Should you happen to need to melt snow somewhere with a plentiful supply of dry firewood it would be excellent

Is it a gimmick? Well yes, of course it is - there are many easier stoves to cook on that are lighter, cleaner, easy to regulate, stow and fuel. Is it fun? Hell yes

b

Dr.S at work 19 May 2013
In reply to itsThere:
that does look pretty cool - good to be able to use all of your fuel sources/stoves.....hmm any on sale in the UK?
 ezzpbee 19 May 2013
In reply to Dr.S at work: seen the Biolite at Cotswolds, heavy but at £150 be good to try one first to see how well it works.
 JJL 19 May 2013
In reply to ben b: does it make your pan sooty?
 ben b 19 May 2013
In reply to JJL: Not really if up and running but I wouldn't start the stove up with a pan on top...

Cost wise, REI in the US about $130 which in to NZD (and back to GBP) is about 85 quid so much less apinful (if you happen to be in the US anyway)

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...