UKC

Flickr has had a facelift

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davegs 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Had an email this morning saying I now get 1 terabyte of storage free.
 steve taylor 21 May 2013
In reply to davegs:

It seems to be suffering from excessive demand this morning - I can't login.
 Fredt 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

As it happens, I am looking round for a photo storage facility, because I no longer trust Google,and have never trusted Microsoft. This seems to tick all the boxes.

I have no experience of Flickr/Yahoo, - can anyone recommend them, and what is the copyright policy, can they steal my photos?
 deacondeacon 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Can't wait to get my free Terrapin

I actually like the new collage style display and have been a fan of the ios app for a while so it's good to see that it can be used on Android now.
I know people are never happy when the presentation is changed on these sites and in social networking so why can't it be given as an option to stick with an older version.
I think a much better way would be a 'would you like to try a new, updated flickr' option rather than forcing everyone to change straight away.
 radson 21 May 2013
Yeah, I like the look of it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radson/
Douglas Griffin 21 May 2013
In reply to radson:

I think the new design is terrible.
 Hannes 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Looks like the designers went and had a look at what their competition (500px) are doing

The site looks a bit more modern but I'm not a fan of the front page, it is really messy. The photostream however is a massive improvement

Flickr has one of the best sets of terms out there for storing photos and they can't steal your photos. Just make sure you use the right licence though, there is an explanation on their site what the different licences mean for you and what pictures can be used for under those licences.
 Toby S 21 May 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Whats the deal with the Pro account? The impression I'm getting is that you have to cancel the subscription before they'll move you across to the new settings?
In reply to Toby S:

I believe it continues as before.

BT Yahoo is my internet service provider so I get a free Pro account as part of that deal anyway.
KevinD 21 May 2013

> I believe it continues as before.

yup seems to be the case although its really badly documented.

Cant say I am much of a fan of the new layout. Hides lots of useful information and is slow as hell with picture overload.
Whitespace can be useful.
 Philip 21 May 2013
> (In reply to Toby S)
>
> I believe it continues as before.
>
> BT Yahoo is my internet service provider so I get a free Pro account as part of that deal anyway.

I've been with BT for years and didn't know that. Can you upgrade easily - do you have to muse the btinternet e-mail address to sign up?
 Toby S 21 May 2013

Aye thats the same for me. Not sure whether to bung it back to be associated with my Gmail account as that should remove the 'pro' status from the account. Or do I leave it.... I wonder whether they considered all the BT customers that have a pro account as part of the service?
 Toby S 21 May 2013
In reply to Philip:
> (In reply to Douglas Griffin)
> [...]
>
> I've been with BT for years and didn't know that. Can you upgrade easily - do you have to muse the btinternet e-mail address to sign up?

You add your btinternet account to it, it's simple enough to do. Although probably pointless now as everyone gets the same amount of storage regardless.

In reply to Philip:

It's been a while since I upgraded but if your login address was a BT Internet one I think you automatically received a Pro Account.

All academic now however!
 Philip 21 May 2013
Forget that. I've just signed up via my btinternet login and got the pro account. I only started playing with flickr at Christmas when they offered trial pro membership. I could switch account easily, but it doesn't seem possible to merge the details of my free account into the pro account.

One thing to note, BT have changed the email rules - if you don't login for 150 days it gets cancelled. Whether this will stop the yahoo login too I don't know.
In reply to dissonance:

> Cant say I am much of a fan of the new layout. Hides lots of useful information and is slow as hell with picture overload.
> Whitespace can be useful.

Yep, my feelings exactly.

If you go to 'Edit' on your page you can retrieve something of the appearance of the old style Flickr, but with your Cover Photo across the top. If there was some way to set that to default it wouldn't be quite as bad.
 Philip 21 May 2013
> (In reply to Philip)
>
> It's been a while since I upgraded but if your login address was a BT Internet one I think you automatically received a Pro Account.
>
> All academic now however!

isn't it just the space that's increased - the free account still has adverts and limits?
In reply to Philip:

Sorry, don't know - I have a Pro Account. :-P
KevinD 21 May 2013

> If there was some way to set that to default it wouldn't be quite as bad.

can be used on others photostreams as well by adding ?Details=1 to the end of the url.
Clunky though.
KevinD 21 May 2013
In reply to Philip:

> isn't it just the space that's increased - the free account still has adverts and limits?

From what i can tell there are no real limits now. No restrictions down to 200 pictures or any difference in picture or video upload. May still be a monthly restriction on the uploads though.

Adverts will appear.
OP The Lemming 21 May 2013
In reply to Philip:
> (In reply to Douglas Griffin)
> [...]
>
> isn't it just the space that's increased - the free account still has adverts and limits?

I've been a free account member since 2007 and I don't recall any adverts. But a storage size of 1 Tb is almost astronomical. How are flickr going to finance the site, especially as I don't have to pay an annual subscription and can put practically every photo that I own onto the site?

There must be a catch somewhere?
 Jon Read 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Advertising. It was blissfully free before.

Hate the new layout, yuk. Unnecessary mucking about for changes sake?
 TobyA 21 May 2013

> I think the new design is terrible.

Oddly though I was looking at and greatly enjoying you beautiful pics last night Douglas! I haven't really looked at Flickr for a couple of years since I filled up my free allowance, but this has brought me back and as a result I also enjoyed seeing your work. So even if the design is horrible (I think it looked ok myself), that's something!
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks, Toby!
 pebbles 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming: hasnt been very well cross browser checked, the new look doesnt display at all well on Iron. and TBH I think the actual design is messy - far too busy, not enough white space - looks a bit like an amateur website
 due 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't like it. There were some very simple improvements that would have made the old design a lot better. Now it's just slow and the cover photos take up way too much space.

Also what does a pro account get you now? Is anyone really going to pay $50 a year to remove ads, or $500 a year for 2TB of storage? ( http://www.flickr.com/account/upgrade )
 steveriley 21 May 2013
Oh, was today a bad day to try and upload a few hundred pics?
/drums fingers
 Jon Read 21 May 2013
In reply to SteveRi:
Yesterday was bad day to sign up for two years of pro!
(I know, I can revert to free)
 IM 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming: yip - I think it looks great - a massive, and long overdue, improvement.
 JDal 21 May 2013
In reply to mac fae stirling:

It might be ok if I could change the settings so that I don't see people comments on my contacts photos. Where's the setting to select only activity on my photos on the front page?

What is not ok is a massive waste of real estate on the 'You' page, with that monster green banner at the top. Jesus, what are they thinking?
 Tall Clare 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't like it. Not enough white space.
 JDal 21 May 2013
>
> BT Yahoo is my internet service provider so I get a free Pro account as part of that deal anyway.

Cheers for that Douglas, I now don't need to renew my pro account.

JDal 21 May 2013
In reply to JDal:

> What is not ok is a massive waste of real estate on the 'You' page, with that monster green banner at the top. Jesus, what are they thinking?
It appears to be the "Cover Photo". It's a waste of space, anyone know how to get rid of it?
In reply to JDal:

Click on the right-hand-side of the banner; you'll be given the option to use one of your already-uploaded photos or to upload something new. (Obviously you only get a small slice of the pic. - you can slide it up or down to select the bit you want.) I've gone for something as neutral as possible - the waters of the Sound of Taransay.
 JDal 21 May 2013
> (In reply to JDal)
>
> Click on the right-hand-side of the banner;...

Cheers, but I got that far. I want rid of the whole banner, I think that it's a waste of real estate. I suppose I'll just have to live with it. My biggest gripe is actually not that, it's the fact that when I go onto the home page I am confronted by zillions of comments on my contacts photos and I don't seem to be able to hide them. Grrrr. I'm amazed that they've reduced the configurability of the site.

The whole thing seems to be a bit of a rush job to me, a part of some grand scheme. Anquet did the same thing with their desktop app and got roundly abused for it.
In reply to JDal:

Yep, it looks very much like a rush-job.

For example, when you go to 'Edit' to get back to the old-style page, and then click on the familiar links at the bottom to change the way in which your photos are presented, the old links no longer work.

And yes, the design of the 'Home' page is just awful.
 Yanis Nayu 21 May 2013
In reply to JDal:
> (In reply to mac fae stirling)

> What is not ok is a massive waste of real estate

Space?
 Blue Straggler 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

At first glance (literally just now for 30 seconds) and without clicking anything or trying to do anything, I like the front end. I agree some more white space would be better, perhaps if pics were relatively smaller by about 15% allowing themselves to "breathe". I will have a tinker with it and see if I can become annoyed enough to join the "in-crowd"
 JDal 21 May 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to JDal)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> Space?
Yep.
 waterbaby 21 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm sad today. I liked it how it was, change is always hard. I can't use it on my phone it too difficult now. Having now viewed it on the computer I'm not as sad and I just hope I get used to it.
I'd just renewed my pro account. From what some are saying, it seems if you renew automatically then you stay on your current terms ie you get ad free account for £25 but if you sign up now it'll cost you much more. Not sure how true this is.

I'm with bt yahoo but didn't know it was free!
 HarmM 22 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming: looks like 500px combined with facebook when i had a look,only 500px does it better as you get more instant feedback from others and they have more features. however that 1Tb may come in handy
 AdrianC 23 May 2013
In reply to HarmM: Can anyone else not find themselves on Flickr now? When I log out then search for my user name nothing comes up. It used to work fine.
 Toby S 26 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Anyone else trying it on a tablet? I'm trying to access it on an iPad and it looks bloody awful. Takes ages to render too. A decent app seems to be nonexistent although there is one for the iPhone.
OP The Lemming 26 May 2013
In reply to Toby S:

Should have bought an Android. Works fine on mine

Toby S 26 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Shurrup

Might try it on a browser other than chrome.
 Only a hill 26 May 2013
In reply to Toby S:
Works like a dream on my Android tablet.
 adam 31 May 2013
In reply to Toby S:

FlickStackr seems to do a pretty good job on the iPad:

http://ipont.jubilo.ca/ip/flickstackr/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...