UKC

Peaks family campsite?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alanlgm 22 May 2013
I am looking for a decent campsite in the peaks to take my young family in our campervan next week.

looking for somewhere where we can go on nice walks with the dogs and have a few adventures.

possibley somwhere close to set up a top rope for a 5 year old to have a climb.

any suggestions greatly received.

thanks

Al
 Al Evans 22 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm: You might have more success if you look in The Peak rather than in the peaks
 GrahamD 22 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm:

I like either of the two sites at Fenny Bentley for families.
 xplorer 22 May 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Your obsessed with this peaks thing. Does it really matter?
 Dan_S 22 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Your obsessed with this peaks thing. Does it really matter?

Yes.

Peaks is wrong.

Peak is right.
 deepsoup 22 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:
You mean "You're obsessed with this Peak thing."
:oP
 Al Evans 22 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Your obsessed with this peaks thing. Does it really matter?

It does matter, but at least I put a smiley after the post
 althesin 22 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm: This place

http://www.newhousefarm.co.uk/Welcome.html

real fires, but no showers, and a little crag.
 Owen W-G 22 May 2013
In reply to althesin:

The one in Birchover is good for kids. Decent kid-friendly pub too in village

Not too far from Birchen which is your best top roping venue for kids in the area.
 Richard Baynes 22 May 2013
I quite often use the campsite at Alstonefield, next to the youth hostel. It's easy striking distance for crags, Harborough Rocks springs to mind as a great place for a 5-year-old, and the big field gives kids plemnty of space to run around; it doesn;t get too mobbed either. No showers, and watch out for the George: what was once a great beery locki-in boozer is now a gastro-pub with sky-high prices, butI gather the food is excellent.
 John_Hat 22 May 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to alanlgm) You might have more success if you look in The Peak rather than in the peaks

9 minutes, you're slipping...
alanlgm 22 May 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Pedant
alanlgm 22 May 2013
Thanks for the info guys i will have a look at them all.

keep em coming

al
 Offwidth 22 May 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:

Birchen isn't so great for top-roping kids, its hard enough to get started on many routes for adults.
 xplorer 22 May 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

I hate these daft emoticons, and I'm surprised at you using them. Aren't you supposed to be old school

:-/ (
 xplorer 22 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm:

In reply to Al Evans: Pedant

Yes it is very annoying. I'd love to see if big al Evans would interrupt me in person and correct me. But this would never happen, only on UKC.
 chris fox 22 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm:

I stayed here a few weeks ago, very clean campsite and well run. very close to Hope village for pub meals and a convenience store

http://www.lanesidecaravanpark.co.uk/
alanlgm 23 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm:

some of them look good the only trouble is the better ones are on working farms and with 2 nutty springer spaniels i am not sure they are appropriate.

i will keep looking

cheers

al
 CarolineMc 23 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm: have you looked a crowden? off the usual beaten track, loads of walks, crags and quarries nearby. Not many 'local ' facilities but Royston vasey and Glossop are down the road for urban catch up, decent coffee etc. Co:
 robert-hutton 23 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm:
Nice family campsite at knotlow some limestone crags nearby, nice pub in flag etc
And in the Peak just
Rob
 paul wood 31 May 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
A little off topic. Where would you recommend on grit for kids to climb? Mine are 9 and 11.
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to alanlgm)
>
>
> In reply to Al Evans: Pedant
>
> Yes it is very annoying.

It isn't though, really, is it..? It is trivially irritating at worst, surely...?

Oh, and 'al' should have had a capital A,

Cheers

Ann Other-Pedant
 xplorer 31 May 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

And here you are...... Bang on schedule
In reply to xplorer:

Well, I do think keeping to the schedule is very important. As you'd expect, really...

Ann

Ps it would probably have been more correct to have put "big" in inverted commas when describing Al, as we have no reason to think he is of notably excessive size.....

;-P
 sam@work 31 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm: I stayed here over the bank holiday http://www.packhorsefarm.co.uk/ nr Matlock

close to the monsal cycle trail - long tunnels to cycle thro' and chatsworth farm and play area was ace. I took my 6 and 8 year old climbing at burbage north - descent paths and the odd slab etc - about 30 mins away

the site was great for kids and had plenty of families and toilets were nice and clean
 GridNorth 31 May 2013
In reply to xplorer: Of course getting facts right is important. How can anyone possibly argue otherwise. Personally though I would have gone on to say that the Peak is named after a tribe of ancient people and not the fact that there are several summits. Picking up on a minor spelling mistake could however be considered unreasonably pedantic in a web based forum.
 xplorer 31 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

Oh rite, thanks for that, I guess.....
 GridNorth 31 May 2013
In reply to xplorer: See, I let that go
 Yanis Nayu 31 May 2013
In reply to alanlgm: There's a lovely site in Bradwell, close to Bamford. Bradwell has a cracking chippie.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...