Destinations forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Bouldering around Sheffield, n00b wants advice!

cb_6 - on 22 May 2013
I'm going to Sheffield this weekend and we'll be staying with my girlfriend's mum. I hadn't planned on climbing since my girlfriend isn't a climber (never climbed outdoors, climbed indoors with me a handful of times). She knows how much I enjoy my climbing though so she's suggested we climb, either at The Foundry or outdoors. It seems a crime to drive up to Sheffield from London just to climb at yet another indoor wall, I pull enough plastic as it is!

Thing is, I have no trad gear (or experience) so trad isn't an option, plus my girlfriend only knows how to belay a top rope climber. So that leaves bouldering. I've never really bouldered outdoors aside from a couple of problems on Sandstone, but my best sport grade outdoors was a F6b while my strongest indoor problem was V3 while I expect to onsight V1, maybe V2 on a good day. I'm looking for some easy bouldering for the two of us to check out, nothing highball or bold. I might be able to borrow a bouldering mat from a friend but there's a good chance I won't even have that. If it's a generally nice area for walking around that would be a bonus, so we could boulder for a bit and then walk for a few hours after. Forgive my ignorance, I'm totally inexperience to climbing in the Peaks, I'd just much rather get into the real outdoors and mess around on some grit rather than go to another indoor wall. What areas would suit me, and where could I find topographies for them?

Cheers!
... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums