UKC

beginners routes near glenbrittle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 karinh 23 May 2013
I'm taking my 9 year old to Glenbrittle this weekend. He's climbed indoors before but it will be his first time on rock. Can anyone recommend anywhere nearish (we do have a car) a. for top roping or b. for diffs and vdiffs he could second without too much help?
Thanks
 Michael Gordon 23 May 2013
In reply to karinh:

What about easier sections/peaks of the ridge? Might be more memorable/satisfying? Weather's looking good!
 IanMcC 23 May 2013
In reply to karinh:
window buttress.
OP karinh 23 May 2013
In reply to IanMcC:
Window Buttress looks ideal, many thanks. Keep'm coming, we've got 4 days
Karin
 Milesy 23 May 2013
Karin, from Glen Brittle youth hostel it is nice to head up to Sgurr a Mhadaidh & Sgurr a Ghreadaidh. If you go up the corrie into the An Dorus gap there is some nice scrambling firstly out of the gap to get to each of the munros on either side, and a nice airy ridge on one that you can put a rope on him for.
 BigHairyIan 23 May 2013
In reply to karinh: The previous suggestion is very good. Do you have the stamina for going up the Inn Pin? That would be a memorable day out.
OP karinh 23 May 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan:
@BigHairyIanThanks, I wondered about the InPin but he's much more into climbing than into hillwalking, so I thought he might get tired out before the fun bit would start and not enjoy it as much.
@Milesy: Thanks Chris,that sounds good. I'll have a good look at the map and see what the walking/scrambling/climbing ratios are for all suggestions.
 Mark Bull 23 May 2013
In reply to karinh:

This recent thread might be some use: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=540748
 Joe G 23 May 2013
In reply to karinh:

How about the Cioch by Norman Collie's original route? It's quite a long and convoluted route on a big and imposing face but it's such an incredible place, very inspiring and techinically easy. Not exactly a wee top-rope crag but a great introduction to mountain routes!
 BnB 23 May 2013
In reply to Joe G: Great suggestion re Cioch though still a fair hike in. How about the sea cliffs at Rubha Hunish. 2 miles walk down a good track from the campsite and a charming place with lots to explore especially in the late afternoon when, most typically, that corner of Skye turns sunny. Great opportunities for top roping over the water with the sunlit Cuillin rearing up behind the belay. Plus some archeological remains to bore the kids with!!
OP karinh 23 May 2013
In reply to Joe G:
@Mark Bull: thanks, that's super useful. Would be great if we can do a day on a proper mountain and a day climbing sea cliffs and playing on the beach.
@Joe G: That looks awesome! Will see how he goes fitness wise, but if it seems too much this time then I'll definitely keep it in mind for next time.
 Tom Last 23 May 2013
In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to Joe G) Great suggestion re Cioch though still a fair hike in. How about the sea cliffs at Rubha Hunish.

Rubha-somewhere-else maybe, or are there two Rubha Hunish's?

For the OP, don't go to the the huge 70m, loose Rubha Hunish brimming with wild-looking E2sthat's in the guidebook.

Not being facetious by the way BnB, just trying to save the OP a drive up that way as I think the their 9 year old may not like it much!
 JimSh 23 May 2013
In reply to BnB:
How about the sea cliffs at Rubha Hunish.
That's some hike

Take it you mean Rubh' an Dunain
Jim
 JimSh 23 May 2013
In reply to karinh: If the weather is bad and you're driven away from the Cuillin, Conductor Cove at Neist would be good or Schoolhouse Buttress at Elgol combined with a visit to the Spar Cave.
Jim
 BnB 23 May 2013
In reply to JimSh:
> (In reply to BnB)
> How about the sea cliffs at Rubha Hunish.
> That's some hike
>
> Take it you mean Rubh' an Dunain
> Jim

Yes. That'll teach me to rely on my memory for Gaelic names. I do indeed mean Rubh' an Dunain. As in 2 miles from the campsite.
 Offwidth 23 May 2013
In reply to karinh:

Beware on Window Buttress climbing the window direct (as the original climb did) is really brutal.. top end S and 4b at least. I didnt check if Mike put this in in for the new Skye guide
OP karinh 28 May 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
Thanks all. We went for a walk to Rubh an Dunain on day 1, looked perfect really but I hadnt seen the post before we left so didnt bring ropes and spent the day rockpooling. Fairy pools on day 2 and some easy climbing at the lower crags by Neist, next to the steps, on day 3. Stamina was more of a problem than I expected, even a few miles on the flat seemed a struggle so we need to work on that and then we'll be back and try some of the mountain scrambles. So, less climbing got done than I'd hoped but it was good anyway and they got a taste of Skye.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...