UKC

Teaching cycling safety to motorists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OK, it's likely to have been in the planning for some time but this is rather timely: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/538549/aa-and-bsm-driving-school...

Like all these things it will take some time for the effects to be seen but it's a start.

ALC
In reply to a lakeland climber:

That's great news, good on them for taking a step in the right direction. Like you say, hopefully this is just the start.
 GrahamD 24 May 2013
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

Maybe. One logical step along this path is making road awareness courses compulsory for cyclists.
In reply to GrahamD:

Maybe if the money given to councils explicitly for things like bikeability training was actually used for it then you might have a point.

ALC
 Guy 24 May 2013
In reply to GrahamD: Road safety should be in the school curriculum because unfortunately you cannot rely on most parents to instill it on their kids.
 Andy Hardy 24 May 2013
In reply to Guy:
> (In reply to GrahamD) Road safety should be in the school curriculum because unfortunately you cannot rely on most parents to instill it on their kids.

Most parents are very concerned for their children's safety, so much so that they ferry them everywhere in the car. Result - more cars on the road, so more (perceived) danger, and don't get to practice any road sense
 tim000 24 May 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: i teach bikeability to 10/11 year olds and you would be surprised how many cant even cross a road properly
In reply to tim000:

There's a woman I nearly bump in to on many mornings on my commute. She simply crosses the road to my workplace without looking. The junction is on a very slight bend so you can't see if someone's there until you are quite close. Sometimes I've approached the junction from the other direction and whilst waiting to turn right have seen her walk down the pavement and cross the road without looking. What's bad about it is that she's walking her two young kids to school so they are picking up this habit as well.

ALC
 Rog Wilko 26 May 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: sorry to hi-jack your thread, but if you could suggest something to be impressed upon learner drivers, what would it be?
Mine would be "don't just pass a cyclist as soon as you catch them - they aren't stationary - wait till you can see around that bend". Pretty basic stuff you'd think but only about fifty per cent of drivers seem to follow it.
 mikehike 27 May 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Bicyle approaching Walker
Motor Vehicle approaching Bicycle

Slow Down to near their speed
once this is done every thing else drops into place.

Overtaking car no longer takes a wide high speed sweep into on-coming traffic.
It takes little effort for the passer to Slow, Pass, then Resume Speed.
Respect the person you are approaching, it could be you 50% of the time.
 EeeByGum 28 May 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to Guy)
> [...]
>
> Most parents are very concerned for their children's safety, so much so that they ferry them everywhere in the car. Result - more cars on the road, so more (perceived) danger, and don't get to practice any road sense

I get a bit fed up of arguments like this. What are parents supposed to do? Even if all kids weren't driven around there would still be too many cars. My view is that we are just a lazy car nation. We will walk up to two miles with kids in tow to visit friends and always get funny looks. But I don't blame them if they drive round the corner to ours because I know how much easier it is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...