UKC

British Mountain Guides scheme

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 24 May 2013
What would the knowledgeable folk of UKC think the max sensible age to aim to join the BMG scheme would be once all the pre-requisites are met?
 1202alarm 24 May 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
Peter Cliff was well into his forties when he did it I think, though he had worked as an outdoor instructor since his late 20's.

I don't think age is the only limiting factor though. Can you afford to spend a good part of the year in the alps? Can you speak French?

It all depends what your definition of 'sensible' is? If you have no dependants then go for it whatever age you are but if you have kids, a mortgage etc then you may have to think hard about how you are going to pay for it and find the time to get the experience and courses done.
In reply to An Triubhas: FWIW I'm now starting to think I've left it too late. I'd take me another 2 years to sort out the per-requisites(i.e. learn to ski mountaineer) which would take me into my forties.

I did my MIC training this Winter and suffered in terms fitness. However, it is not really the age/fitness that puts me off. It is more that I'm not 100% certain I want to commit 4-5 years of my life so that I can spend my time guiding things like Mont Blanc as opposed to working on Ben Nevis, Skye, Tremadog or Sawange as I can do as an MIA/MIC.

I'm in the unusual position that I've 'guided' professionally in the Alps (including Mont Blanc) and Peru on military expeditions so I understand that element of the work. However, I am equally if not more psyched about UK climbing as I am about living and work in the mountains overseas.

If you are completely psyched about spending every moment you can in the high mountains, then age is not going to be the slightest barrier. Previous injuries and fitness could be a big issue but age itself will not.

PS That is an outsiders view. There are various BMGs who post here who will no doubt be able to give a much more pertinent advice.
 JayPee630 24 May 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Sorry if this is already clear, but here goes...

I think some of it comes down to your fitness, some of it to commitments outside work (i.e. family, other work, other interests), some of it to motivation (i.e. are you keen enough to put the work in), but some of it would just be a straight financial calculation I reckon.

What I mean by that is how much work/money you will lose while you train for the scheme (both from not being able to do your other job/or having to give it up) and how much you have to spend to get through the scheme. This then needs to be balanced with a honest working out of how many years you have guiding in you. For example, you might be fit enough, have no commitments, and keen enough at 60, but if it takes you 5 years and £20,000 to get through the scheme, and then you only have 3 years work as a guide in you, then the figures just don't add up to make it worth doing.

Good luck, I'm 41 and I'd love to do it!

Rich W Parker 24 May 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

I went to the BMG open day last year, at age 41, where they stated that age was not a bar whatsoever. Ability, experience and performance are very much requisite.
I have no qualms: no injuries, full fitness and no kids.
 Rich W Parker 24 May 2013
In reply to JayPee630:
It takes 4 years and will cost around 8 grand or so, was my understanding.
 JayPee630 25 May 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

Not sure, but of course it depends on from what level you 'start' from. I'd say even if you were an experienced alpine climber and skier and qualified MIC it would probably take longer than 4 years from start to finish and costs more than £8,000, but not sure. What do any BMGs think?
 JayPee630 25 May 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

Are you going for the scheme then? I'd love to if I could climb harder!
Andy Perkins 25 May 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
Hi there. I'm a BMG member based in Chamonix. I started the scheme aged 37 and qualified at 41. I'm now 52 and with luck will be working as a guide for at least another 10-15 years. For more background see http://www.bmg.org.uk/index.php/eng/Community/Being-a-Mountain-Guide/Andy-P...

As previous posts on this thread point out, age isn't that important. Meeting the pre-requirements takes time and commitment. I'd been mountaineering for nearly 20 years all over the world when I applied to join the scheme, and still had a couple of things to do before I was accepted. And since then the level of skiing required has risen, and fulfilling that would have taken me a couple of ski seasons.

Once the pre-requirements are met, you need 100% commitment, lots of time and a very understanding partner. And of course the necessary financial backing, but thinking of the scheme primarily in financial terms isn't that relevant.

It's not necessary to speak French, as the scheme is run by the British Mountain Guides, though ability in any of the languages of the alpine chain is useful.

I'm glad Murko Fuzz enjoyed the BMG open day. For details on this, see http://www.bmg.org.uk/index.php/eng/News/British-Mountain-Guides-Open-Day-2...

As he put it, "Ability, experience and performance are very much requisite. "

Good luck, and enjoy your climbing!

ANDY P

Doug 25 May 2013
In reply to Andy Perkins:
> (In reply to An Triubhas)

> It's not necessary to speak French, as the scheme is run by the British Mountain Guides, though ability in any of the languages of the alpine chain is useful.
>

As far as I know French guides have to have a second language (not sure to what standard) - is there no requirement for British guides to have a second language? (from experience leading trips for the Eagle Ski Club I'd have though having some French was almost obligatory in France away from Chamonix)
 Nathan Adam 25 May 2013
In reply to Andy Perkins: After looking at the BMG website, it quotes;

"List any relevant qualifications held e.g. MIA, MIC etc."

Does this mean you don't have to have either of these qualifications before you go on to reach BMG status ? I'd assume having the BMG award would mean you wouldn't need either MIA/MIC to instruct in the UK ? Not that i'm planning any of the three for anytime soon, just curious.

Cheers.
 jon 25 May 2013
In reply to Doug:

> As far as I know French guides have to have a second language (not sure to what standard)

They do indeed, Doug. Previously this was evaluated by ENSA profs with a good level of English (or whichever language the candidate chose). However, some four or five years ago they decided that it should be evaluated by native English speakers. I've worked on three of those evaluations alongside Neil Brodie, Jim Blyth and Hilary. The standard of the candidates has been very impressive with some scoring as high as 20/20 (the same level of fluency as native English speakers, accents not taken into account). There is a lot of pressure on the candidates to pass this test as it's eliminatory though I'm not sure if there have been any outright failures. I'd guess the average was in the region of 12 > 13/20. I've no idea if the Brits have any language requirements.
tri-nitro-tuolumne 25 May 2013
In reply to Nath93:

"Does this mean you don't have to have either of these qualifications before you go on to reach BMG status".
That's correct. According to the BMG about half the candidates don't hold any outdoor qualifications before joining the scheme.

"I've no idea if the Brits have any language requirements"
Not necessary. Just raise your voice
 JayPee630 25 May 2013
In reply to Nath93:

No, IIRC you don't need any awards like the MIA/MIC to enter the scheme, but I'd guess the majority of those that enter the scheme have them.
 Rich W Parker 25 May 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

Need to add some more ski touring, but should be no excuses for not applying May next year. I'll give it my best effort.
Andy Perkins 25 May 2013
In reply to Doug:
> (In reply to Andy Perkins)
>
> Is there no requirement for British guides to have a second language? (from experience leading trips for the Eagle Ski Club I'd have though having some French was almost obligatory in France away from Chamonix)

No there isn't Doug, though it's strongly encouraged right from the start of the scheme. I just wanted to clarify for the OP that it's not a limiting factor.

I speak fluent French plus basic German and Italian. And a few phrases in Nepali, Hindi and Urdu. It's useful, polite and professional to learn a few basic phrases when visiting another country, even if it's only "I'm sorry. I don't speak any ...... Do you speak English?"
 JayPee630 26 May 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

Impressive, good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...