UKC

Outdoors in Surrey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Darcshadow 24 May 2013
Hey, I would like to start climbing outdoors, preferably in Surrey near me, and I found what looks like some really nice faces near an old chalk quarry, they are in an aonb and sssi... Would I need permission to climb them given they are next to public paths and is it a bit dodgy climbing on chalk? It looks quite solid on photos
woody0606 24 May 2013
In reply to Darcshadow: It is very dodgy climbing on chalk. Google 'great white fright' and you'll see what in saying. Chalk climbing is more akin to ice climbing than rock climbing. The nearest worthwhile rock climbing to you is Swanage or the southern sandstone.
 JamButty 24 May 2013
In reply to woody0606: +1

Also you're very likely to wind people up in an SSSI area without proper access agreements.
 Mark Haward 01 Jun 2013
In reply to Darcshadow:
Southern Sandstone is probably your nearest. Stone Farm, Bowles, High Rocks etc.
 silhouette 01 Jun 2013
In reply to Darcshadow: I would forget about chalk. Look up (on here under "Classifieds", "Crags") the potential near the towns of Swanage and Portland in Dorset, fairly easy for you to get to by car or train, at least for day trips. And "Southern Sandstone" as the other poster said.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...