/ Female Instructor Ratio

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JessicaBell on 24 May 2013
Hello,

I'm doing a bit research, and trying to find a percentage for how many female climbing and/or ML instructors there are in the UK in comparison to male instructors... are there any numbers? Had a bit of a search around but haven't found much.
If anyone can point me in the direction of such information, or rattle it off in this thread, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
henwardian - on 24 May 2013
In reply to JessicaBell: Mountain Training UK will have a database of everyone who is qualified, just e-mail them and ask for the statistics you want (they will have no trouble giving you statistics, it's only personal information which is data protected).

http://www.mountain-training.org/
duchessofmalfi - on 25 May 2013
If you do find out please report here - you might find asking climbing walls a useful way as well (I think it would be good to distinguish between instructors on the books and the number of sessions taken as well).
The number of active instructors (and level of activity) may be better determined this way (than relying on the number registered).

If your doing this it would be interesting to know numbers for CW staff and route setters.

Please report back here what you find!
Andy Perkins - on 25 May 2013
In reply to JessicaBell: There is a list of British Mountain Guide members at http://www.bmg.org.uk/index.php/eng/Members

From memory it's about 7 female members out of a total of just below 200.

ANDY P
JessicaBell on 25 May 2013
I will do just that! Thanks for your help guys and I will report back with anything I find :)
estivoautumnal - on 25 May 2013
In reply to JessicaBell:
> Hello,
>
> I'm doing a bit research, and trying to find a percentage for how many female climbing and/or ML instructors there are in the UK in comparison to male instructors... are there any numbers? Had a bit of a search around but haven't found much.
>

Do you mind if I ask why you are asking that question?

JessicaBell on 03 Jun 2013
In reply to JessicaBell:

I've sent a few emails around but have had no responses yet. My partner recently returned from ML training in Wales and Plas y Brenin reckon they have an estimated 40/60 ratio for females to males attending ML training, but this does not look at how many actually complete assessment.
In reply to estivoautumnal:

I'm trying to find figures to back up a business plan. I'm starting a small photography business but I want to focus towards outdoor/alpine and travel-based photography. A few guides and instructors manage to simultaneously utilise their skills instructing/guiding and taking photos, and I wanted to find out if their were many women doing this.

I'm happy to share any findings in this forum if anyone is interested.
Andy Say - on 03 Jun 2013
In reply to JessicaBell:
There are such numbers. They are held on the Mountain Training database; where else?

78.4% of all candidate registrations are by males: 21.6% by females (1964 - present).

Proportions vary depending on award, with CWA having the highest % of females and ML the lowest of the entry awards.

Registration for MIA is about 90/10
In reply to Andy Say:
Thank you so much for your help Andy! :D That's spot on!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.