UKC

Songs tha saved your life.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andic 25 May 2013
....or got you through something....

Mine would be: "khe sanh"; I spent A year on a Temp worker visa in oz for a while I was driving an ancient Kenworth hauling Vegemite and other Kraft products, every time that song came on the rail a chorus of truckers would growl it out over the CB, whenever I hear it it always takes me back to those care free days. They do love ther jimmy Barnes over there

And "If its the beaches" made me realize I did not love someone and that they were slowly killing me.

This odd combination of songs helped me thru a difficlt breakup

Your turn?
 Chambers 25 May 2013
In reply to andic: Men at Work: Down by the Sea.
 Chambers 25 May 2013
In reply to Chambers: Incidentally, there's no such thing as a difficult breakup. They're all easy once you know how to do them.
 Chambers 25 May 2013
In reply to Chambers: In fact, the more you have the easier they get.
 Chambers 25 May 2013
In reply to Chambers: Eventually, you look forward to them.
 Chambers 25 May 2013
In reply to Chambers: And just think 'Hmmm. Another breakup. What shall I climb? Last breakup for me led me to climb on slate. Bit worried about that, but hey! I'm nearly fifty. I'll be dead before long anyway, so what does it matter?

Also, you should listen to some Lou Reed. And some Bob Dylan. Avoid the Beatles, though. Just pretend that the Beatles are the Daily Mail or Coel Helliers freemarket underpants that haven't been washed for a week. Better yet, start a campaign. Bring back Norrie Muir. Or something quite like it.
ice.solo 25 May 2013
In reply to andic:

on the beach, neil young. stuck in a jeep for 30hrs in mongolia and the only tape the locals had was screechy traditional stuff. by about the 20th repetition i pulled out a cassette id got in UB and they liked it.
so did i till we hit the 20th repetition of that too.

purple haze, the groove armada one. dunno why, just a lift i needed at the time.
 Boogs 25 May 2013
In reply to andic:

Predictable possibly but guaranteed for me are

Curtis Mayfield - Move on up , Adam F - Circles , Bob Marley - Natural mystic , Schooly D - Saturday Night , Masta Ace - Brooklyn Battles & Beautiful youtube.com/watch?v=4Quc2Sui7u0&

Led Zep - Kashmir
Bill Withers - Ain't no sunshine .
Aretha Franklyn - I say a little prayer ( reminds me of someone )

and Horace Andy's Skylarking .
 Gudrun 27 May 2013
In reply to andic:

No music has ever mean't as much as that to me but some stick out from my yoof and just a few years ago.Hardcore punk and hardcore acidtek connected with my hard angry side and helped when i was a young angry Communist,and loads of housey bangin dance anthems represent my soft girly side.

This from way back youtube.com/watch?v=yfskVxCn_qo& still stays in my mind when i was hanging around Glasgow School of Art with my feminist arty pals,Harpies and Quines in the pocket of my Russian great coat blonde fauxMohican and trying to be middle class and artsy like they were,but failing badly.
And when i hear this i can see the sunshine glinting on the sea youtube.com/watch?v=-6tE4O8Tco4& from one unforgettable summer in 2007 starting in the White Isle of Ibeeza with me mates and finishing with me meeting my man.
abseil 28 May 2013
In reply to andic:

I don't like music much but have a strange story about it and climbing. One early morning I was in a cafe, feeling tense knowing that I'd try to lead a difficult E3 at Avon right after breakfast. 'Honky Tonk Women' played on the jukebox and as soon as I heard the first notes I knew I'd easily lead the climb - which happened. It triggered something in me but otherwise I can't explain that.
 Postmanpat 28 May 2013
In reply to Gudrun:
> (In reply to andic)
>
> No music has ever mean't as much as that to me but some stick out from my yoof and just a few years ago.Hardcore punk and hardcore acidtek connected with my hard angry side and helped when i was a young angry Communist,
>
>
You mean you're now a mellow social democrat? The mind boggles....
 deepstar 28 May 2013
In reply to andic:
> ....or got you through something....
>
>
>
> Your turn?

Elton John`s "Tiny Dancer".
 omerta 28 May 2013
In reply to andic:

One evening, shortly after my dad died, I played 'Bless The Weather' by John Martyn 48 times in a row. I don't know whether it saved my life, but it definitely propped up something in me that night
 sargy 28 May 2013
In reply to andic:

I have lots, but these are probably the top two- the Cinematic Orchestra is possibly one of the finest tracks ever penned (IMHO!)

All Things To All Men by Cinematic Orchestra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-rZdfZfMPw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Or

I'll Rise by Ben Harper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mef36R2iJk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
 thin bob 28 May 2013
In reply to andic:
breakups? 'Woman' Anti Nowhere League

Generally? 'Ace of Spades' or 'Bomber'.
How can you go wrong with music that rattles yer ribs & lyrics like 'You win some, lose some, it's all the same to me', 'Ain't a hope in hell, nothing's stop us getting through', 'i don't want to live forever..but apparently I am'
 jack_44 28 May 2013
In reply to andic:

Guns 'n' Roses - Patience. The acoustic guitar solo is incredible, and the song as an entirety just slows down all thought processes, apart from reaching for the repeat button!

Rolling Stones - Drift Away. A pretty rare song, but the harmonies are incredible, and the song is very moving. Reminded me of home when I was down on my luck in Asia.
 Dauphin 28 May 2013
In reply to andic:

I been up, down...trying to get the feeling, again.

youtube.com/watch?v=JFMgHFLEK0A&

Blu Mar Ten.

D
 Needkraken 28 May 2013
In reply to andic: Not necessarily a specific song but in the hardest places I have two bands Mesh and Iris that work
 brownie mike 28 May 2013
In reply to andic:

Man of the World - Fleetwood Mac
 IM 30 May 2013
In reply to andic:
'messin' with the kid' by Rory Gallagher for a bit of uplift and 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis is an album that suits all needs.
Rosco P Coltrane 30 May 2013
In reply to andic:

This:

youtube.com/watch?v=3ugQkNnjn3g&

Got me through a hard, hard year.

The album it comes from 'Natural History' is one of the most staggeringly brilliant pieces of music I have ever heard too.
izo 30 May 2013
In reply to andic:

It's a classic but whenever we're struggling on a climb we always sing this....

youtube.com/watch?v=ioE_O7Lm0I4&

Rocky theme song...play LOUD
Never fails to get us to the top of the route
 IM 30 May 2013
In reply to Rosco P Coltrane:

that was great. i just bought the album. cheers.
 Timmd 30 May 2013
In reply to andic:

youtube.com/watch?v=voPE1GaKTjU&

Thank You Lord by Bob Marley helps to remind me to be thankful, it's a cheery song.
 hokkyokusei 30 May 2013
In reply to andic:

'Dust' by Bic Runga
'Symphony of Sorrowful Songs' by Górecki
'Back to Black' (album) by Amy Winehouse

And several album's worth of Johnny Cash.
molly2202 30 May 2013
In reply to andic: spent 6 months treking and climbing round Nepali Himalaya last year. Whilst on the trail, carrying my fully loaded 75l Macpac, the one tune I would "march" to was Men of Harlech.

The Bass Drum beat, was each footstep. this was a slow but steady pace that saw me complete the hike from Kathmandu to Everst Base Camp, carrying everyhting but a kitchen sink, no worries!

Dunno if its the slow beat, or that "Zulu" Rourkes Drift state of mind I adopted, but it stuck in my mind since.....
Rosco P Coltrane 30 May 2013
In reply to mac fae stirling:

Glad you liked it!!

Try this one by them too:

youtube.com/watch?v=457mjzLidgo&

I cant listen to it without getting the shivers!!
 IM 31 May 2013
In reply to Rosco P Coltrane:

yip, great. bought that album too.
 nightmonkeyuk 31 May 2013
In reply to andic:

Nightmoves - Bob Seger. You get that hazy warm feeling about mis-spent youth and times you should have appreciated more.

Jimbo W 31 May 2013
In reply to andic:

In dark times in need of a lift then I have especially resorted to these:
- Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (16:29), or frankly the whole of that album has lifted me many times:
youtube.com/watch?v=VMFlupHV6Rs&

- John Martyn - May you never is another lift in times of lows, again along with the whole of the Solid Air album, but I also love this version from the Transatlantic sessions:
youtube.com/watch?v=sBPTuAl2Qyk&
Solid air version:
youtube.com/watch?v=eQs6MvsPCXA&

In a different situation:

- EST Trio - Seven days of falling, or elevation of love:
youtube.com/watch?v=D7KXq6RJ0PA&
Or anything from the seven days of falling has gotten me through times of intense work for exams etc. Goldberg variations is another that has been good for that, and been a different kind of life saver!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...