UKC

Good value road bikes & buying tips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 25 May 2013
Hi

Thinking of getting a couple of road bikes for me and the missus. Budget is low, maybe a grand total. What should I be looking for and more importantly what should I be looking to avoid? Any brands worth looking at who tend to give value for money? What is 'heavy' in this range - nice and light with good shifters probs makes sense to me but I don't really know what I'm talking about. Any offers out there that peeps have spotted?

Ta la in advance for any advice,

Si
 Mark Morris 25 May 2013
In reply to siwithington: Get to a Decathlon and snap up a Triban 3. Spare change from £1K to get shoes, pedals, shorts etc.
 The New NickB 25 May 2013
In reply to siwithington:

Buying new the B'twin Triban range at Decathlon will offer the best value for money, the 3 is £300 and the 5 is £430, both offer much better spec than other bikes in the same price range.
 Mike7 25 May 2013

There are a few other options, although they're likely private sales so depends upon your perspective. Many of them would likely tick your boxes.

e.g. I'm thinking of selling my Raleigh Aero 300 for about the same as the cheaper of the two Decathlon versions.

But then again things like collection distance and sizing come into the equation at that point I suppose.
OP Si Withington 25 May 2013
In reply to siwithington: Cool. The Decathlon option looks good. Is there such a thing as a women's version does anyone know? Couldn't tell from the site.
 Rubbishy 25 May 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:

What he said.

Decathlon do a good bike
Phil Payne 25 May 2013

Why are they so much more expensive in France? The triban 5 is €599 in France!

If you look at something like a GoPro, the price in the US is about half of the price in Europe and that can be explained by the difference in import duty and VAT but between the UK and France there is almost no difference at all in VAT 20% v 19.6% and there's no import tax. Are we just getting ripped off in France?
In reply to siwithington: Do you want a roadbike or a cyclocross bike? Perhaps the letter?

Get any of these, and you'll be happy:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2177769/Ride-like-Wiggins-T...

Ignore anyone saying "if only you'd stretch to another £100 quid etc., you could get better forks/wheels/flavour of coffee etc." or you'll still be agonising over which to get next year.
 Andrew Smith 25 May 2013
In reply to siwithington: Katie has the Triban mate, don't think they do a women's version, but it's a good solid bike.

When you get sorted, give us a shout and i'll come up and get some hills in. I may have some free time in 4 weeks.

Cheers

Andy
OP Si Withington 26 May 2013
In reply to siwithington: Thanks all and for the good link. Def some good options. Is there any real difference between a 'womens' bike and a blokes bike? A lot of shops seems to not have much of the former and the missus will no doubt see this as a problem.

Ta.

@Andy: texted ya
 JLS 26 May 2013

>"Is there any real difference between a 'womens' bike and a blokes bike?"

Wider saddles, smaller sizes and purple accents in the paint work. Depending on size 650c wheels might offer better proportions.
 TobyA 26 May 2013
> Is there any real difference between a 'womens' bike and a blokes bike?

Yes. The frames can be quite different shapes to account for the different proportions between men and women. My wife has a Pinnacle (Evans) women's hybrid and it's noticeable how different the frame shape is to my otherwise similar blokes hybrid.
 patrick_b 26 May 2013

The lady and I had the same requirements earlier this year. I went for a Triban 3, she got a Raleigh Airlite 100. Both for around £300 mark, both very happy with them. Recommended.
 mikehike 26 May 2013
A point to note.
Many of the bikes above use a 'Compact' drive train ie double chain rings.
The Triban 5 from Decathlon use Triple Crankset.
I believe the Triple will serve you better and be more versatile

mh
Rigid Raider 27 May 2013

Triban 3 is excellent but now superceded.
 GrahamD 28 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Its also worth noting that womens fit bikes don't fit all women. MrsD preferred the Giant Defy (standard fit) to the Avail (Womens) when she was trying out bikes last year. Definately a womens saddle though !
OP Si Withington 28 May 2013

Cheers all. The ever complicated list gets longer. Is it worth punting for something with a carbon fork for Lake District riding? I can find loads of really good bikes sub £600 that get great reviews etc, but they don't have a carbon fork.
 mikehike 29 May 2013
I think you need to test ride some bikes .
If you believe carbon fork will equal better handling and comfort over rough roads well its not that straight forward.

In my limited experience these are my thoughts.
Carbon fork with canti brakes can give dangerous brake judder, mainly an issues on cyclocross bikes. Cured by fitting v-brake. Fact Carbon forks do flex noticeably (all forks do to some extent).
Carbon fork is less harsh than alloy fork? maybee
Carbon fork is equal in comfort to steel fork but lighter? maybee

If comfort is a concern then this could be achieved on any bike through Tire Width/Pressure, Handle Bar Width/Spring and Bar Tape.

It may be better to plump for better wheels / group set than Carbon Fork?
I recommend you take 40mins out and watch this YouTube video on bicycle economics.
youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs&

I cant emphasize enough, Test Ride.
You may have your heart set on a bike to then have it dashed by it just not feeling right when test ridden.

Good Luck
 sam@work 30 May 2013
In reply to siwithington: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p4501/SCHWINN-FASTBACK-2012

this looks like a good deal . . .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...