Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - What rope to use for wilderness hiking

Zen on 25 May 2013
Hi guys,

Last week my friend and I were in Arran doing a bit of wilderness camping in woods on the south of the island. While the trek wasn't intended to have any elements of climbing and was more to go exploring, there was a situation where we had to lower ourselves down safely having climbed a 100ft ridge that gradually steepened until it hit a 10ft 'proper' climb near the top. We weren't keen on trying this section while carrying gear and having no rope, when suddenly a lot of loose ground from heavy rainfall started to slip own the hill; we had to use 550 paracord to lower our packs down and then each other. I commented that a belay plate and some actual rope would have convinced me to climb the last section or even lower ourselves down a lot safer.

Then, we scrambled our way up the side of a 100ft river gorge. When we neared the last 6ft the ground yet again started to give way and my friend narrowly missed falling back on himself.

Basically, I'd have done the same again but felt far more confident and safer with a lightweight trekking rope if such a thing exists, although I only boulder in my spare time so I have no idea about static/dynamic ropes, thickness etc. and what would make a good selection for our needs.

If anyone could recommend a rope based on the following, it would be much appreciated:

- Must be water resistant
- Must be lightweight (or be of a length that won't cause it to weigh as much)
- Must be heardwearing
- I would prefer the colour to be low-key black/dark green etc. but this isn't a necessity

On top of this, what other gear would we need to bring in order to use the rope safely? Cams, nuts, anchors, anything that could temporarily pin into soft or hard earth? I have little knowledge to go on with regards to this.

Thanks in advance,

Zen
... not showing 12 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums