UKC

The longest slog in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 27 May 2013
Having been up Ben Starav again at the weekend with about 3000 feet of almost entirely unrelenting uphill slog from the river to near the I was wondering if there were any other hills in Scotland that presented such an unremitting stretch of uphill slog.

Ben More springs to mind but I assume it starts higher and therefore isn't quite as long.

In reply to Removed User:

I've done Starav twice in three weeks recently and thought the same. It's unrelenting!
Squarf 27 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: Gaor Bheinn is a slog from sea level up the glen and then straight up to the south top
 Andy Nisbet 27 May 2013

I climbed Sgurr Fhuaran (Five Sisters) direct from the valley (and remnants of bridge) a week ago, 1050m height gain. A nice enough day though.
 MG 27 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: Sgurr a Mhaim in Glen Nevis is pretty brutal 1030m, all very steep.
 paul-1970 27 May 2013

Beinn Sgritheall is the archaetypal slog; near sea-level start at Arnisdale.

The one time I climbed Beinn Fhada, I foolishly began my ascent from the lowly Gleann Lichd - in August too. A long, long and sweaty ascent up a seemingly unrelenting grassy slope.

I'm sure I once read a stat that recorded Sgurr Fhuaran as having the longest sustained slope - the one that runs down to the shores of Loch Duich.
 Mark Bull 27 May 2013

Ben More is slightly shorter in vertical but much steeper on average.

Ben Nevis direct from the car park at the end of Glen Nevis would be worse than either, I reckon!
Removed User 27 May 2013
In reply to MG:

How could I forget Sgurr a Mhaim. Mind you what height does it start from?
Removed User 27 May 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
> Ben Nevis direct from the car park at the end of Glen Nevis would be worse than either, I reckon!

I think there's a flat bit half way up isn't there?
 MG 27 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: 62m -1099m (yes, I checked!)
Removed User 27 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
>
>> I'm sure I once read a stat that recorded Sgurr Fhuaran as having the longest sustained slope - the one that runs down to the shores of Loch Duich.

Sounds like Andy might have the winner then.
ccmm 27 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: Shirley it's the Ben?

Tourist path starts at 15m ASL in Glen Nevis, your bridge across the Etive is at 18m ASL and goes up to 1078m. Therefore the Ben is the longest slog - it just seems less to because of the entertainment potential of passing folk dressed in binbags and flipflops.

I've done Starav too many times and I get what you're saying though.
 Mark Bull 27 May 2013

> I think there's a flat bit half way up isn't there?

Not if you go direct up the E side of Coire Eoghainn rather than via Carn Dearg. 1200m of ascent in just over 2km. Training run for Dave Macleod: http://davemacleod.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/nevis-breakfast-again.html

Fiona Reid 27 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

> Beinn Sgritheall is the archaetypal slog; near sea-level start at Arnisdale.

It's even more hideous if it's your second hill of the day (we initially climbed it after Bla Bheinn via the ferry to Glenelg) and you're practically crawling up it.

We climbed it again on Saturday and it's actually okay to the beallach... it is brutal steep for the last 300m or so though.

Mark Bull 27 May 2013
> (In reply to Removed Userpaul-1970)
> [...]
> >> I'm sure I once read a stat that recorded Sgurr Fhuaran as having the longest sustained slope - the one that runs down to the shores of Loch Duich.
>
> Sounds like Andy might have the winner then.

I've heard that too, but I see no solid evidence for it! Depends on how you frame the definition, but contenders for the steepest 3000ft rise would be the SW slopes of Sgurr na Ciste Dubh in Glen Shiel and the south side of Liathach: both around 1.13km if you pick the end points carefully. Any others?

andrew ogilvie 27 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: I descended from the summit of Beinn Trilleachan last summer down a gully and slope to the south of the slabs and it would be a miserable slog up this if anyone were ever to go up it - not a natural ascent though.
 andrew ogilvie 27 May 2013
In reply to andrew ogilvie: Bidean via Coire Beith must be a contender too.
What a bunch of softies!
Jim C 27 May 2013
> (In reply to Removed Userpaul-1970)
> [...]
> >> I'm sure I once read a stat that recorded Sgurr Fhuaran as having the longest sustained slope - the one that runs down to the shores of Loch Duich.
>
> Sounds like Andy might have the winner then.

Perhaps, but on a good day, and ifvblessed with wonderful views , a mountain that can be a complete slog on a bad day, can be a joy that can be over all too soon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...