UKC

Wild camping in Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Banned User 77 27 May 2013
I know its technically not really allowed, how much of an issue is it?

I was thinking of running through somewhere like the Harz or Thuringa and camping or sleeping in the open shelters..

I've seen a number of references to boars being an issue?

Is that true?
 ring ouzel 27 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: When boars have young with them then you dont want to get inbetween the adults and the young. Its easy to do as well as they tend to string out as a group and if they see you one lot might rush off but others wont, this leads to panic before they eventually regroup. In the meantime your best bet is to retreat. Male boar are large, aggressive and have very sharp tusks - and if they kill you Iain they'll eat you! But in the Harz its not the boars you have to worry about or even the lynx, no it's the witches!!

Had my honeymoon there and loved it. Its a cracking place.
 BMrider 01 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
I wild-camped in that area and saw a large family group of boars ambling and foraging through the trees near dusk. My wife and I quietly retreated inside our old VW van and observed them as if from a hide. They were relaxed in their behavior, hardly put off by our presence, kept 10m distance and passed by. The male was huge and confidently going about his business of rooting around. We kept quiet because we wanted to be able to observe them without scaring them off, but I had the feeling that they were wary of people, and would've scattered if we'd made a noise or confronted them. Good advice from Ring Ouzle though.
As for the legally allowed, I think it is much less of an issue these days. Do it, and depart early. The older folk there are just surprised if you don't follow the rules.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...