UKC

Munro completer, nearly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 29 May 2013
Im just back from the NW area (Slioch etc), and now have just three "hills" for a full set.
I took an extra day off to recover not so much from the 30 mile day I put in two days ago, but the 500 mile drive home afterwards.(Im "Donald Ducked")

Its given me a chance to look thru' all my diaries from the last 10 years.I have worked out that so far I have ascended 155,000 metres, and travelled (Bike/walk or the odd run) 2711 kilometres.
Just thought i'd share that with you all.

PS . .am I anal ?

PPS . .on the summit of Sgurr Ban in Fisherfield, there are some prayer flags on the summit. Does anyone know the story behind them, or who put them there.
(There was also an awfully wierd shaped peice of rock too, next to the flags, shaped like a human foot/toes. I will post a picture later on my pic page)
Removed User 29 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:

Aye you're anal, but you seem happy enough and that's what it's all about.
 JohnnyW 29 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:
Good on you mate. I compleated in 2009, and thought that'd be me with ticks....until someone asked me how many I'd done on my second round
redsonja 29 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: I put the flags on sgurr ban as it was my last munro. we got them in Nepal and saved them specially
redsonja 29 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: PS I don't know about the rock though- that wasn't me!!
 subtle 29 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to Newbuild100) I put the flags on sgurr ban as it was my last munro. we got them in Nepal and saved them specially

You saved them specially to litter the Scottish Highlands?

Did you also leave empty crisp packets and pop cans at the top?
OP Newbuild100 29 May 2013
In reply to subtle: Flags are hardly litter are they ???!!!
 Conan 29 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Unbelievable !
Imagine what mess the mountains would be in if every Completer did this.

Presume your going to return soon and remove them !
 Simon Caldwell 29 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:
> Flags are hardly litter are they

Yes
 Banned User 77 29 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: Yes they are.. its not our culture. Animals may eat them, they'll blow away. Quite surprised at that one.

What if we all left a cross on the summit.. its pretty normal in the alps, should we do that too?
 Simon Caldwell 29 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> What if we all left a cross on the summit.. its pretty normal in the alps, should we do that too?

Judging by your comments on the Snowdon signposts thread I assume your answer to that question would be Yes
 Banned User 77 29 May 2013
In reply to Toreador: Good point, but I think the odd sign, which we already have, is worth the masses of erosion which occur at spots where the path is hard to spot. even on the PyG there are areas where the path is easily lost and the erosion footprint of the path is spread over a much greater area.

I also think there is a difference between decisions made at an official level, by many, is different to a decision made by one. I'd think it wrong to me personally go and install path signs on Snowdon just because I think they'd be beneficial..
redsonja 29 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: when I replied that I had left the flags I just knew that someone would jump on me for it. no I didn't leave litter- grow up. it was a special day for me. sorry if I offended some of you. no I will not be returning to take them down. personally I think prayer flags look good in the mountains. they do this all the time in Europe, where they are not so squeamish about signs and other things as too many folk are here
 kinley2 29 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to Newbuild100) when I replied that I had left the flags I just knew that someone would jump on me for it. no I didn't leave litter- grow up. it was a special day for me. sorry if I offended some of you

It's purely a matter of perspective whether your need to leave a legacy of your passing for others to find is litter or something more akin to graffiti.

Offensive? Not really.

Tiresome and rather depressing probably sums it up better for me.
redsonja 29 May 2013
In reply to kinley2: you must get depressed easily- poor you. but I didn't leave them for others to find- I left them as an offering to the mountain Gods. I left some chocolate too- naughty me
In reply to heidi123:

That's a pathetic thing to do, quite honestly. You should be ashamed of yourself, but you're obviously not.

jcm
redsonja 29 May 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: no im not and I think its pathetic of negative people to tell me what I should and shouldn't do. its quite normal to do this in other countries. when I was in Andorra I met a guy from Estonia who was climbing the highest mountain in each country in Europe and on each summit he left an Estonian flag. it was a nice ide- it made him happy and in any case it was none of my business. when I climbed musala in Bulgaria, almost everyone tied a Bulgarian flag on the summit. for goodness sake, whats your problem?
 Roberttaylor 29 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: Congrats on the completion, I can see the appeal of leaving something at the final summit. I imagine someone will remove the flags soon, a good thing as while they look nice for a bit they soon become just some more litter. Prayer flags in general strike me as just as tacky as a summit crucifix and are less usefully to ab off.
 Grahame N 29 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Sorry Heidi but you are in the wrong here. What people do in Andorra or Bulgaria is their own business. In Scotland leaving crisp packets, prayer flags, orange peel or whatever is littering and there is no excuse.
redsonja 29 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: it was prayer flags I left there guys- not a bomb! dear me
 ebdon 29 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: regardless of what it means to you to me (and everyone else it seems)Its rubbish - dont do it
 Scomuir 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Have you noticed many other hills with prayer flags on top here? They may have significance in other countries as prayer flags, but here they are litter. Imagine if even only a tenth of the of the people who visited the summits of the hills followed your lead and left prayer flags. There would be a right mess. I'm not so sure you'd be so keen on it then, whatever the apparent personal significance of it to you.

I was out walking in the Lakes last summer, and there seemed to be England flags of all shapes and sizes stuffed into cairns on the tops during Euro 2012. It was such a shame that people felt the need to spoil the tops like that.
 Roberttaylor 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: What were these flags made from?
In reply to heidi123:

My problem is that other people would rather not arrive at the summit of a remote and beautiful hill and find it cluttered up with your litter.

Tell me, does the expression, "It's not all about you." mean anything to you?

jcm
 Steve Perry 30 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:

> PPS . .on the summit of Sgurr Ban in Fisherfield, there are some prayer flags on the summit. Does anyone know the story behind them, or who put them there.
> (There was also an awfully wierd shaped peice of rock too, next to the flags, shaped like a human foot/toes. I will post a picture later on my pic page)

I do hope this doesn't catch on. 1 persons prayer flags are a 1000 other persons' litter

Jim C 30 May 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> My problem is that other people would rather not arrive at the summit of a remote and beautiful hill and find it cluttered up with your litter.
>
> Tell me, does the expression, "It's not all about you." mean anything to you?
>
> jcm

I think the point has been made, personally, I like places to be uncluttered, but it was disappointing on my last trip up North where we were picking up various items of litter and disposing of them.

I would probably have removed prayer flags along with bottles, crisp packets and banana skins. I do think she was wrong, but we can only hope that Heidi ( and others) will be a little more thoughtful in future, particularly on the more remote peaks, where, in my opinion, the 'damage' is more than say on the tourist honeypots like Ben Lomond or Nevis.
 Fat Bumbly2 30 May 2013
I assumed the flags would come back down with you. Please tell us that is to be the case.
 fmck 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to kinley2) you must get depressed easily- poor you. but I didn't leave them for others to find- I left them as an offering to the mountain Gods. I left some chocolate too- naughty me

Aye that one is a miserable moaning B*****d at times but prayer flags?
Why not a feckin great big lion rampant.That would be more in keeping with the environment.
Haggis Trap 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

> I put the flags on sgurr ban as it was my last munro.
> we got them in Nepal and saved them specially

Jeezzz.... You do know 5000+ have completed their munros?
Imagine every summit was littered with tourist tat such as yours.
(WTF has a Nepalese prayer flag got to do with Scottish munros!)

Hopefully the next person up Sgurr Ban can recover the flags and make a point of sticking them where they belong.... - bucket or return to sender?
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: ok, so I did a bad thing. but im not a bad person and really meant no harm. im sad that you all seem to thnk I did
 kinley2 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Hardly the worst sin in the world.

Just cart off some litter from your next few hills and your balance will be even.

The Scottish Mountain gods might even thank you for it.
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: PS. has anyone read bald eagles post about ben cruachan. what do you think about what they left at the top?
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to kinley2: we always do. when we were in Ukraine we carted down 2 dustbin sized bin liners of rubbish. it didn't occur to us that folk put beautiful prayer flags in the same category
 kinley2 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Now you know.
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: what about a couple of empty bottles of booze? would that have been ok?
 BALD EAGLE 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to Newbuild100) what about a couple of empty bottles of booze? would that have been ok?

...erm Heidi did you not notice the
In reply to heidi123:

I'm pretty sure BE was joking.

jcm
 martinph78 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: I thought you were very brave admitting to it on here! I understand why you did it but as it isn't the norm here in the UK and it will be/has been considered litter.

I wouldn't remove them though, I'd be scared of upsetting the mountain Gods...I'll leave that to one of the above.

A friend of mine (in another country) suggests leaving a small stone on the summit of a special (to you) mountain, and taking one to leave elsewhere, to commemorate another occassion. Not every summit, just the ones that are special to you. So maybe in this case a small stone from Nepal to leave on your last Munro, instead of the flags. Or maybe a stone from the first Munro to leave on the last.

Just don't tell anyone

PS - thanks for the chocolate :p

redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to Martin1978: the stone is a nice idea, but I will keep quiet about it! and as you say, its not a good idea to remove prayer flags. to be honest im surprised they are still there. I imagined they would have blown away- which is much more favourable than removing them and upsetting the mountain Gods
 fmck 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

What or who is the mountain god of munros. Sir Hugh?
 Dave Hewitt 30 May 2013
In reply to fmck:
> What or who is the mountain god of munros. Sir Hugh?

Cameron McNeish, surely...
 Siward 30 May 2013
In reply to Dave Hewitt: Hamish I would've thought...
 Jimbob11 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: Blown away is much more favourable yes, My mate who is a farmer loves it when random crap that people leave in the hills' blows into his fields and entraps inquisitive animals etc. Much better than them being removed into someone's bag and disposed of in a normal matter like.. a bin.
On balance Heidi I don't think anyone was really having a go, or making you out to be a bad person, I just think that your attitude of "don't care" frustrated some including myself, they don't belong there and we don't subscribe to "mountain gods" in this country, it's litter, has no place and looks better and more rugged without it, on another note though well done on completion and next time celebrate with a beer but take the can/bottle home .
 martinph78 30 May 2013
In reply to Jimbob11:
> we don't subscribe to "mountain gods" in this country

Some of us do. Not everyone is CoE you know
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to Jimbob11: I don't drink. and I love it when I see rubbish like fertiliser bags in fields and on the fells that farmers have just dumped. sorry about my "don't care" attitude. I felt I hadn't done anything wrong and in any other country everyone would have felt the same. and the belief in mountain Gods is a personal one. I believe in them
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to Martin1978: well said martin. mountain Gods are the only Gods I believe in
 Jimbob11 30 May 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Maybe I was harsh with that comment. I still believe in trolls under the bridge that's why all my journeys avoid them.

Heidi, true that, some farmers set a bad reputation for the rest of the hardworking countryside caring ones.
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to Jimbob11: I know how hard farmers work as all my relatives are farmers
 Scomuir 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Sorry Heidi, but it's just not the case that "in any other country everyone would have felt the same". Prayer flags may have some significance in to some people in some parts of the world, but it's not universal.

I find difficult to understand that having walked up all the Munros, you chose to leave rubbish on the summit of your last one. Didn't the lack of similar rubbish along the way not give you some kind of clue as to what is acceptable or not?

Hans 30 May 2013
In reply to Grahame N: And UKC sinks to a new low. I'm going to put a prayer flag on every UK summit. Just to annoy UKC. lol

In seriousness: I don't have any issues with it. Did they have any Nepali script on? Hope you enjoyed your days on the hill!

H.
In reply to Hans:

"Been Climbing For
1 to 3 years"

It's depressing how often the most foolishly opinionated posters have this on their profile.

Still, never mind. We'll all be dead soon.

jcm
 fmck 30 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:

Thanks for your post on flags n gods.

All been very informative.
 kinley2 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to Martin1978) well said martin. mountain Gods are the only Gods I believe in

Do Mountain Gods inhabit hills in Scotland?

What if Scottish Hill gods don't like Nepalese prayer flags?

You might have brought yourself a whole mountain of bad Scottish hill karma.
Haggis Trap 30 May 2013
> In reply to heidi123: which is much more favourable than removing them and upsetting the mountain Gods

F--k the mountain gods.

Spare a thought for the mere mortals who have just climbed an unspoiled remote munro to discover your grubby and decaying tourist has been left on the summit?
 fmck 30 May 2013
In reply to Haggis Trap:
> [...]
>
> F--k the mountain gods.
>
> Spare a thought for the mere mortals who have just climbed an unspoiled remote munro to discover your grubby and decaying tourist has been left on the summit?

How do you feel about a concrete block painted white?

skog 30 May 2013
In reply to Haggis Trap:
> ...to discover your grubby and decaying tourist has been left on the summit?

:-O

Leaving flags and other tacky tat is bad enough, but leaving a decaying tourist is seriously out of order!
 skog 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

There's already a similar tradition in parts of the UK, thankfully not on the hilltops.

If you must leave things for the fairies or whatever, why not pick somewhere that's already a bit of a mess - a Cloutie Tree, such as the one on Doon Hill by Aberfoyle:

http://www.dreamsofmountains.co.uk/spring2011/20110507Doon_Hill_Cloutie_Tre...

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/2_2/2_2_4l.JPG

You could even add some ribbons with your wishes written on them, a couple of plastic fairies, a garden gnome, some coins, or whatever other items you think the local spirits would just love to have...
In reply to skog:

Or this one:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/0...

Where's the local council when you need them? A one-day CCTV raid and a couple of hundred spot fines for littering would work wonders.

jcm
 SimonCRMC 30 May 2013
In reply to Scomuir:
> (In reply to heidi123)
> Sorry Heidi, but it's just not the case that "in any other country everyone would have felt the same". Prayer flags may have some significance in to some people in some parts of the world, but it's not universal.

Well said.

Heidi - you may or not be aware that a few years ago there was quite a debate about people leaving memorials on mountains and the consensus was that it shouldn't be done. However innocent you felt your actions were, the ethos in the British hills, as far as I'm aware, has always been "take only photographs, leave only footprints" (and if possible don't leave them).

Haggis Trap 30 May 2013
In reply to fmck:
> How do you feel about a concrete block painted white?

The OS no longer place trig points for triangulation. Though at least they have / had a practical function that aids navigation and mapping (and are part of modern UK mountain tradition).

Anyone complaining about them should leave their map at home.

Hans 30 May 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Dear jcm,

I didn't understand your comment really. Most foolishly opinionated? I can't say it was that, but you may have disliked what I said. Oh, and I don't update the profile so it's more like 4-16 years that I've been climbing, and 22 years that I've been walking and enjoying TGO.

If you would be the type of person to get so irate over discovering a prayer flag on top of a summit ANYWHERE in the world, then God help you (forgive the pun). Everybody has their own set of values and beliefs, some religious, some not. Prayer flags do virtually no damage to the environment, so really I don't get the opposition to this. As I said, I would be interested to discover flags. Just because I can't afford the flights to Kathmandu haha!

cheers
H.
 fmck 30 May 2013
In reply to Haggis Trap:

Ok so a block of concrete is nice if it had a use in the past(NO LONGER) but wee flags are blasphemy

Eh!
Haggis Trap 30 May 2013
In reply to Hans:

^ The real irony given your "show tolerance" argument is that the action of placing a prayer flag on the summit of a munro is actually enforcing your mess / tourist tat upon on other people. What would happen if every munro completest wanted to leave a memento?

It is no better, or worse, than leaving a crisp packet.
Haggis Trap 30 May 2013
In reply to fmck:
> Ok so a block of concrete is nice if it had a use in the past(NO LONGER) but wee flags are blasphemy

Do you use OS maps yourself ?
 Simon Caldwell 30 May 2013
In reply to fmck:

Trig points are gradually being removed aren't they? Either that or the mountain gods are taking them home and putting them with all their piles of flags and other tat.
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to kinley2: im sure the mountain Gods will know I didn't mean any harm. unlike some people from UKC
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to Hans: Hi hans. im happy to read that you aren't going hysterical over my prayer flags! yes they did have a nepali script on
redsonja 30 May 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: "we'll all be dead soon"? you are a cheery soul aren't you?
 skog 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> yes they did have a nepali script on

Can you read much Nepali?

"I went all the way to Nepal, and all I got was this lousy prayer flag."
 fmck 30 May 2013
In reply to Haggis Trap:

Yeh. Did we not have maps before trigs maybe we didn't. Do other countries have thousands of blocks of concrete to make maps?

Poor argument all you need is a marked position like a metal survey nail in order to set your tripod over. ( in the past that is we don't even need that these days)
 fmck 30 May 2013
In reply to Toreador:

Maybe we should repair them for haggis traps mountain god shrine : )
 JCurrie 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Face facts, when it comes to leaving prayer flags on hills you're on a heidi to nothing.

Jase
 kinley2 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to kinley2) im sure the mountain Gods will know I didn't mean any harm. unlike some people from UKC

Ah - presumably they'll know that whoever takes them away and uses them as fuel or something soft and strong at Shenevall is acting with a reverence for the sanctity of the Scottish Hills in their hearts then.

If you want a pseudo-religious slant - your actions are a bit like some 18th century missionary wandering in to native lands and plonking down a large cross, telling any protesting natives that it's all for the best. I thought that kind of cultural imperialism went out of fashion a century ago.

But in reality you've just littered a munro summit for your own glorification.

Best wishes on your journey towards maturity - it sounds as though it may be longer and harder than the mere munros.
 fmck 30 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:

Kinley2 is at present banned from Scotland's largest hillwalking site for using alias and trolling.

Walk highlands.

In reply to fmck:

What is your point exactly? If you mean that there are Ordnance Survey trig points on our hills and therefore leaving other litter is OK, I don't think many other people would agree. If it's anything else, you're not articulating it very well.

If it's just whataboutery, of course, then carry on. You might want to mention the Irag war in a minute, maybe?

jcm
 Fat Bumbly2 30 May 2013
Rubbish is rubbish and it does not hurt to take some off the hill. It is very annoying seeing folk walk past litter and I bet they are the sort that would complain about litter on the hill.

As for leaving something on the last munro, dogs and lampposts come to mind. Remember you are sharing the hills with other litter louts, most of whom do not wait for their last munro to start fouling.
 bluebealach 30 May 2013
In reply to fmck:
> (In reply to Newbuild100)
>
> Kinley2 is at present banned from Scotland's largest hillwalking site for using alias and trolling.
>
> Walk highlands.

It seems that anyone who has a mind and who dares to challenge the views of the site owners and members gets banned from Walk Highlands!!

Hans 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to Hans) Hi hans. im happy to read that you aren't going hysterical over my prayer flags! yes they did have a nepali script on

Excellent, yep I'm not fussed at all. To be honest, I have much more serious things to concern me, like whether my family and friends are OK. Your prayer flags mean something to you, but their effect upon me is negligible. Even when someone like yourself has gone out into the hills and enjoyed themselves the negative feedback on this site can be more baffling than even the hardest of crux moves. I know the issue lies with the prayer flags, but it's not like you left a field of oxygen bottles and broken tents. If I were you, I'd be chuffed, have a brew, and plan the next adventure.

Get more flags haha! Then post about it again.
Cheers
Hans.
 Robert Durran 30 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to kinley2) im sure the mountain Gods will know I didn't mean any harm.........

I doubt it, given their non-existence.

> .........unlike some people from UKC

No one has suggested you actually meant any harm.

fmck 31 May 2013

For the hard of learning let make break it down to a retarded level.

Why get upset over a few flags but think its ok to leave concrete on top of a mountain.

Concrete is chemical used in the building industry.

You know what chemical means or do you want me to explain as well?
 malky_c 31 May 2013
In reply to fmck: didn't this kind of low grade trolling get you banned from WH too? Anyway, carry on if it makes you happy!
 deacondeacon 31 May 2013
In reply to fmck:

>
> You know what chemical means or do you want me to explain as well?

Yes please, can you explain it to me?
Just because something is a chemical doesn't automatically make it bad for the environment.

freerangecat 31 May 2013
In reply to deacondeacon:
> (In reply to fmck)
>
> [...]
>
> Yes please, can you explain it to me?
> Just because something is a chemical doesn't automatically make it bad for the environment.

me too. this link may help:
http://www.rsc.org/AboutUs/News/PressReleases/2008/ChemicalFree.asp
 fmck 31 May 2013
In reply to freerangecat:

I agree I have been an engineer responsible for 400m3 wind farm bases. My point is its laughable to go on about a few wee flags.

I will keep that link for the next windfarm debate.
 fmck 31 May 2013
In reply to malky_c:

It was without doubt related.As someone already said having to disagree can get you banned. In that word should this not be your home. Oh yes it is isn't it.
 Jasonic 31 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: Just put prayer flags on my last munro kit list!
 Siward 31 May 2013
In reply to Jasonic: Ditto. Let's festoon the hills with prayer flags all inscribed 'UKC made me do it'
 skog 31 May 2013
In reply to Jasonic and Siward:

Thanks. That's a great demonstration of why it's not just about one silly wee piece of tourist tat left by one thoughtless Munro completer.

You guys should go visit a Cloutie tree/well first, too, if you're really that keen on leaving rubbish lying around.
 fmck 31 May 2013
In reply to skog:

Cloutie tree well? is this something similar to cloutie dumpling.

May be we should decorate the summits like those concrete pillars with something like tinsel it has to be an improvement.
 James B 31 May 2013
In reply to skog:
> (In reply to Haggis Trap)
> [...]
>
> :-O
>
> Leaving flags and other tacky tat is bad enough, but leaving a decaying tourist is seriously out of order!

Ah, but surely a decaying tourist (an ex-Presbyterian, say) would be a more appropriate offering to the (pagan) Scottish mountain gods than Buddhist prayer flags...?
 skog 31 May 2013
In reply to fmck:
> Cloutie tree well? is this something similar to cloutie dumpling.

Kind of. If you squint a bit, and ignore the decaying rubbish and the tragic lack of sultanas.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=551265#x7363105

> May be we should decorate the summits like those concrete pillars with something like tinsel it has to be an improvement.

You really have it in for the trig points, eh?

The hilltops probably would be marginally better without them. Feel free to carry them off with you; I'll give you a hand when I'm finished with the souvenirs and crisp packets.
 skog 31 May 2013
In reply to James B:

You could be on to something there, and at least it's biodegradable...
Lusk 31 May 2013
In reply to fmck:
> (In reply to freerangecat)
>
> I agree I have been an engineer responsible for 400m3 wind farm bases. My point is its laughable to go on about a few wee flags.

So you're one those tossers that totally trash the countryside with wind turbines and you complain about trig points!

Milesy 31 May 2013
I agree sorry, but if you have spent enough time in the hills do complete the munros it amazes me that someone does not consider leaving tat on a munro as littering. If I see prayer frags on a summit I will remove them along side other rubbish, and any time our club has climbed on The Ben etc we make an effort to fill bags with rubbish and take them down. Flame me all you want.

If it was up to me there would be no cairns and no trig points, but the trig points are historical now so that's that. If a cairn is not there as an actual useful purpose (such as some of the small, indistinct nav cairns in the cuilin) I will remove a stone each time I am at the summit, or in the mood kick one down.
 Milesy 31 May 2013
> (In reply to Hans)
>
> "Been Climbing For
> 1 to 3 years"
>
> It's depressing how often the most foolishly opinionated posters have this on their profile.
>
> Still, never mind. We'll all be dead soon.
>
> jcm

What does the time you have been climbing relate to the time you have spent in the hills and hillwalking? Climbing is a moderately new thing to me, but I have been up in the hills since primary school.
 skog 31 May 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> but I have been up in the hills since primary school.

You'll be glad to know they're much more thorough with the head-counts these days.
 martinph78 31 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:
> Im just back from the NW area (Slioch etc), and now have just three "hills" for a full set..

So, will you be leaving a memento on your last Munro?

wibb20 31 May 2013
In reply to Lusk:
> (In reply to fmck)
> [...]
>
> So you're one those tossers that totally trash the countryside with wind turbines and you complain about trig points!

So someone is a tosser automatically if they do a job where you don't like the end product? Hello kettle, I'm pot - gosh, you are mighty black!

Is it just me, or are people on UKC more interested in bashing each other than actually climbing nowadays? What happened to make you all so bitter? I always thought climbers were part of a 'community', but you all seem hell bent on tearing chunks out of each other. One giant troll-fest, to use the term you all love so much.

redsonja 31 May 2013
In reply to wibb20: totally agree with you wibb
 toad 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: I think that the thing that shocked me was that you'd completely failed to grasp the problem and why others were so upset. To me, "leave no trace" has been the central tenet of my love affair with the countryside, and if I'm honest, I was a little gobsmacked that you were quite so sanguine about leaving tat blowing in the wind, when you obviously care deeply about the mountains. I've spent a fair amount of time clearing up other peoples mess over the years, be it inappropriate memorials, graffiti, flytipping. I appreciate there's a scale, but it's still not a good place to start from and I hope your able to accommodate this, even if others have been less than polite
redsonja 31 May 2013
In reply to toad: toad- I was also upset by peoples attitude to me. as I have said a zillion times if you had bothered to read it I did not feel I was doing anything wrong. I certainly did not deliberately try to upset people but they have deliberately tried to upset me
 fraserbarrett 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously) no im not and I think its pathetic of negative people to tell me what I should and shouldn't do. its quite normal to do this in other countries.

It's just these sorts of selfish, juvenile attitudes that end up destroying the countryside for everyone (insert any damaging behaviour you feel like before 'no one should tell me what to do').
There's a limited amount of countryside and we all need to respect others and leave it in a state that others can enjoy. I think just the (nearly) universal condemnation should make you mindful that you have done something that will affect others in a negative way.
 toad 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to toad) toad- I was also upset by peoples attitude to me. as I have said a zillion times if you had bothered to read it I did not feel I was doing anything wrong.

And that is the nub of the problem, particularly if something is very personal to you. From my experience, I've also had difficult conversation with people allowing their children to pick wildflowers "'cos it's for granny and she's ill". An individual selfish act, done with the best of intentions, is still a selfish act. Typically it causes few problems, but the question you have to ask is "what if everyone did this?".

I have read through the thread, several times as it happens - and I've wondered about the wisdom of posting, but I think that this issue is an important one - we have an overcrowded island, and far more people are taking to the hills than ever before, and the cumulative impact is that much greater.

PS.FWIW, I've had far worse arguments on here in the past - my advise would be not to take things to heart.
redsonja 31 May 2013
In reply to fraserbarrett: did you bother to read that I said I didn't deliberately want to upset anyone or mean any harm?
redsonja 31 May 2013
In reply to toad: im trying not to but I am a good person and don't like all this hate stuff. life is too short
 Scomuir 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

I would be surprised if anyone thinks you deliberately set out to upset anyone, as I am sure that is not the case at all, and you are taking it the wrong way if you think that people are now trying to deliberately upset you. I don't subscribe to your belief of mountain gods in any way shape or form, but that's your personal outlook, and that's fine.

It's your (and others) apparent refusal to accept that the majority of hillgoers are not keen on finding stuff left lying about on top of a hill by other people, whether perceived to be well intentioned or not, that's a struggle to understand.
 Simon Caldwell 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Disagreement is very different from hate.

UKC is one of the least vitriolic forums I've seen. Probably largely due to being moderated. But also maybe because I filter out the pub/off belay sections

redsonja 31 May 2013
In reply to Scomuir: im not keen on finding fertilizer bags, rusty rolls of barbed wire, rusty oil drums etc etc that farmers leave and think they look a whole lot worse than some prayer flags. and as you say, beliefs are personal. I don't tell people what to believe in
redsonja 31 May 2013
In reply to Toreador: disagreement or difference of opinion is fine. name calling and bitchiness (usually by men who must have very boring lives) is quite different. and here we go round and round again.it doesn't change what I did does it now???
 Scomuir 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Not sure why you are singling out farmers, but yes, I agree, it can look worse, but that's missing the point. Even though you perceive your prayer flags to look more attractive than what you perceive as rubbish, once left lying about, it becomes rubbish.
redsonja 31 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: not sure why you are still going on with this topic. what is it you all want me to say??
 Wesley Orvis 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

If i left a big steaming turd just before you arrived on your last summit would it have been just as special a moment? If not, then you leaving your prayer flags could cause similar insult to the next person(s) to arrive, until somebody bothers to tidy your mess up after you....

Take it with a pinch of salt we all get slated on here at sometime, try not to admit to stupid things online and you probaly won't get as much shit.
Removed User 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: Could you just say you won't leave litter on a hill ever again?
 Simon Caldwell 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
typical girly thing to say

skog 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> not sure why you are still going on with this topic. what is it you all want me to say??

Leaving them was hardly the crime of the century, I think it's the way you seem to still be defending it that grates with most.

I can't see much name calling or hate in the responses to you, to be honest. Why get defensive, when you could just laugh at your misunderstanding of what's OK, say you won't leave any more, and move on? Who hasn't done something daft sometime?
OP Newbuild100 31 May 2013
In reply to Toreador: Dear me . !
I cannot stand litter louts.
In fact, by shear coincidence, I have just been out for a jog and took someones car registation number, because they were dumping litter. I have reported them.
The irony of all the above is that when I came across the flags on Sgurr Ban, I thought it was really quite a nice touch, and never once looked at them as "Litter". I summited, by coincidence, with several other people none of whom commented on the flags being litter.

Maybe its about time to put this subject to rest. That will give time to people who are that up in arms about this "crime", they can ascend the "hill" over the weekend and take down the "offending" article
 fmck 31 May 2013
In reply to Lusk:

Aw I'm sorry Lusk. Do you want to go back and pick them up. Lesson learned : don't leave your wind turbines behind when you walk off the hill. I promise to remember next time.
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to Newbuild100) not sure why you are still going on with this topic. what is it you all want me to say??

Jesus Christ, woman, will you stop with the whining already?? You've behaved badly; a large number of people have pointed that out and instead of showing any sign of regret you wallow in victimhood. This must be what it's like talking to Luis Suarez.

jcm
 fmck 31 May 2013

I think new builds original post was pretty week until Heidi came along and shot it over a ton in no time. : )

redsonja 31 May 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: maybe all you self righteous people will climb up mountains such as Snowdon, cairngorm, Ben nevis, high pike, Raise etc etc and remove the ski tows, cafes, seats and other stuff which make them look so unsightly to me. and on your way, pick up all the s**t that farmers have left lying around. im sure you wont of course!
 Milesy 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to Newbuild100) maybe all you self righteous people will climb up mountains such as Snowdon, cairngorm, Ben nevis, high pike, Raise etc etc and remove the ski tows, cafes, seats and other stuff which make them look so unsightly to me. and on your way, pick up all the s**t that farmers have left lying around. im sure you wont of course!

You're right of course but we can't do anything about them. All we can do is manage litter and erosion where we can on a smaller scale.
Jim C 31 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to Newbuild100) maybe all you self righteous people will climb up mountains such as Snowdon, cairngorm, Ben nevis, high pike, Raise etc etc and remove the ski tows, cafes, seats and other stuff which make them look so unsightly to me. and on your way, pick up all the s**t that farmers have left lying around. im sure you wont of course!

None of that shit on Ben Nevis, there are a load of guidance cairns , and there was some memorial stuff, but that has all been removed in a clean up, and moved lower down.

Not saying you don't have a point on the others though.
 wibb20 01 Jun 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> Disagreement is very different from hate.
>
> UKC is one of the least vitriolic forums I've seen. Probably largely due to being moderated. But also maybe because I filter out the pub/off belay sections

Really? It is one of the most vitriolic I have seen....!

wibb20 01 Jun 2013
In reply to wibb20:

Can we now finally draw this to a close? Heidi has apologised for doing something she thought was unacceptable ('sorry for offending any of you'. You have all given you two-penneth worth, scalded her actions, and generally drummed it into her and everyone else reading this post that you don't like litter (or wind turbines) on 'your hills'. Ok, we get it, and I think she does as well. Now can we go back to enjoying the hills, and each others company without the perpetual ill feeling? Enough is enough - I am 99.9% sure that Heidi will not be leaving any prayer flags (or similar) anywhere again, for fear of the UKC hill police coming to get her. Time to move on.

Lusk 01 Jun 2013
Re Mountain Gods...hahaha
The amount of shit and strife that religion causes in the world, the hills etc are one place I can go and get away from all that bullshit.
So the the last thing I want to see out there is some of your schoolchild religious crap.
A mountain is just a lump of rock, the only cosmic experience I might have had will be from the miniscule change in gravity!
In reply to wibb20:

>Heidi has apologised for doing something she thought was unacceptable

Well, not really. Her actual words were

"when I replied that I had left the flags I just knew that someone would jump on me for it. no I didn't leave litter- grow up."

and subsequently, a hundred posts later

"all you self-righteous people..."

It's clear that actually she thinks that litter is OK as long as it's her beautiful meaningful litter and that it's all terribly unfair that nasty men are being horrid to her. If she had shown the slightest regret or understanding this thread would have been a lot shorter.

jcm
 wibb20 01 Jun 2013

jcm - how convenient you chose to cut off your quote at the point where heidi apologised!

Put yourself in her shoes - you did something that others disagreed with, and got slated for it - repeatedly. Of course you might be on the defensive a little bit, it is human nature.

I think she has shown regret and understanding, but doesn't feel the repeated attacking of her is justified for what was an innocent mistake. To be honest, I think a number of you are being self-righteous. We have all made mistakes, and I my opinion, it took bravery to say it was her - she could have kept quiet, and then you would have had no one to chastise.

Let it drop - I really don't think it is helping anyone, and just makes you look like a dick - all in my honest opinion of course.

For the record, I don't agree with leaving prayer flags on top of a mountain, as I agree it adds nothing, and takes a way a lot. But I also believe that the point has been made, and you need to remove the chip from your shoulder and get back out and enjoy the hills once more.
 kinley2 01 Jun 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to heidi123)
> [...]
>
> You're right of course but we can't do anything about them. All we can do is manage litter and erosion where we can on a smaller scale.

Which gets to the nub of the issue.

Justifying littering by pointing to large scale fixed eyesores like windfarms, trig-points, mountain cafes or the littering of others is a common line (and not restricted to hillwalkers).

Hopefully it'll be a while before someone decides to decorate remote Corbetts and Grahams.

John_Hat 01 Jun 2013
In reply to various:

Jeez, I've not seen such a vitrolic attack on one individual since the bad old days on here. Not a great moment for UKC.

Personally, if I ended up on top of a summit and saw a load of prayer flags I'd think "this summit must have really meant something to the person who left them", and then I'd have had a cuppa, possibly taken a few photographs, walked down the other side, and forgotten about it.
 fmck 01 Jun 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

I couldn't agree more John. To get depressed or even angry over a few flags is laughable. What a bunch of sad anoraks.

I actually miss the piss take and slaggings that used to come part n parcel with climbing. Blame it on the 80s with those tights n stuff. Turned climbers very sensitive : )
But there was a heck of a gathering of Cagooles jostling to join in a mass attack on one person. Poor show.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Jun 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
> I've not seen such a vitrolic attack on one individual since the bad old days on here

I think there's something wrong with my PC, because I can't find any such thing. Apart from jcm's contributions of course, but that's par for the course. In fact the most abusive posts seem to be from Ms 123

> if I ended up on top of a summit and saw a load of prayer flags I'd think "this summit must have really meant something to the person who left them"

and I'd think "obviously whoever left these has no understanding of the hills, probably a 3-peaker who's got lost", and take them down along with the assorted crisp packets and banana skins that usually accompany such things
 Banned User 77 01 Jun 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to various)
>
> Jeez, I've not seen such a vitrolic attack on one individual since the bad old days on here. Not a great moment for UKC.
>
> Personally, if I ended up on top of a summit and saw a load of prayer flags I'd think "this summit must have really meant something to the person who left them", and then I'd have had a cuppa, possibly taken a few photographs, walked down the other side, and forgotten about it.

I agree with Toreador.. I don't think its been that bad.. but I think toad speaks a lot of sense. In the UK we don't like to leave things. I know me wanting signs on snowdon seems hypocritical but I think a few well placed signs to control erosion aid safety are different to individuals leaving paraphernalia.

If I was walking up Snowdon putting signs whereever I think they should go then yes, it would be hypocritical, but all I'm doing is supporting the well thought out decision made by a large number of people.

If anything, by wanting more lower options, like the idwal ciruit, we save the upper mountains from some more erosion. There's a lovely loop in llanberis, takes a few hours to walk around the lake, cafe to cafe.. yet its not really well advertised.. board with maps at every parking spot on the route would really help.. the paths, loops are often there, just need more advertising.

I think at the moment people go up snowdon as its the obvious walk to do.

fmck 01 Jun 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
> [...]
>
> I think there's something wrong with my PC, because I can't find any such thing.

Don't know about you but personally i find getting called a "tosser" a tad abusive.

In reply to fmck:
> Don't know about you but personally i find getting called a "tosser" a tad abusive.

You're obviously more sensitive than me
I'd put it in the same bracket as "pathetic" and "self righteous", and somewhere slightly below "boring".
 Banned User 77 01 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck: I do think your wind farm argument is non-sensical.. whilst i agree farmers litter its also wrong to use that as an argument for additional litter.

Wind farms go through months of planning and justifications, CBA.. they aren't just put up on an individual level. Going with your arguments we can not object to anything in Snowdonia as the slate quarries are already there..

I'm increasingly intolerant of litter.. especially cigarettes.. all smokers say they don't drop tab ends.. but someone does..
 wibb20 01 Jun 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:

How about we start a new thread about litter in the hills and mountains of the UK? Then you can all rant to you hearts content on the subject....?

Moderators - how about you close this thread? Any continued posts are like flogging a now stiff horse...
 Milesy 01 Jun 2013
In reply to wibb20:

Don't read it then.
In reply to wibb20:
Yes good idea, close this thread and start another identical one. er...
Henrycuillin 01 Jun 2013
In reply to heidi123: Why would you want to go into the countryside, enjoy it's beauty and then ruin it for everyone else who goes there! Selfish is all I can say!
 BMrider 01 Jun 2013
 wintertree 01 Jun 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> when I climbed musala in Bulgaria, almost everyone tied a Bulgarian flag on the summit. for goodness sake, whats your problem?

When I was walking in Sardinia and I went to explore a cave off the beaten path, quite a few people had taken a dump in it.

When I was walking in Spain and I went to explore a cave off the beaten path, someone had taken a dump and a big steaming piss in it.

We'll not talk about France.

Because people in other countries consider it normal to take a dump anywhere marginally out of sight, can I do the same somewhere you are planning to walk to in the UK, and tell you "for goodness sake, whats your problem?"

But then my views can be discarded as I am male, I am probably just trying to oppress you or summit.
 bluebealach 01 Jun 2013
In reply to BMrider:
> (In reply to Newbuild100)

> I would be happy to arrive here and see this colourful sight, with NO other rubbish.

> Now I wouldn't want every summit bedecked with Buddist prayer flags, It is all about moderation (stressing very occasional).

So it's OK for 'one person' to deck a summit with prayer flags and you're happy - ok, you're entitled to your opinion. But when several hundred 'one persons' want to leave their individual summit with said flags or that several 'one persons' arrive at the same summit and then you have Heidi123 with her flags 'times lots' which then leaves a summit just pig ugly.

In the UK its just plain wrong and should be discouraged from the outset.....
 BMrider 01 Jun 2013
In reply to bluebealach:
Thank you Bluebealach. Maybe I am underestimating the number of 'one-persons'. I have visited hundreds of summits all over Great Britain over the years, and have only seen flag tat and ceremonial stuff on a few tops, and those being the Honey-pot ones ( Scafell, The Ben, Snowdon etc.). If this is now becoming an increasing problem,and spreading regularly to isolated/remote tops, then I'm happy to be corrected. And don't get me wrong, I am happiest to arrive at a remote summit to find it pristine. Maybe there are just too many people now to allow individual acts of colourful expression?

Also, I saw 3 or 4 piles of cremation ashes on top of Bow Fell, L.D., and on chatting with a Ranger found out that this IS an increasing problem, as it does have an impact on a marginal ecological niche.
 bluebealach 01 Jun 2013
In reply to BMrider:
> (In reply to bluebealach)

> Also, I saw 3 or 4 piles of cremation ashes on top of Bow Fell and on chatting with a Ranger found out that this IS an increasing problem

Agreed, it's quite disturbing to be eating your sarnies on Bowfell with the evenings setting sun and looking longingly across at the Scafells, only to find someones 'ashes' often dumped unceremoniously on the ground only a few feet from your own little piece of heaven!!

fmck 01 Jun 2013
In reply to bluebealach:

I was in the Galloway hills having something to eat next to a cairn when I spotted what I thought was a burgundy coloured plastic container. I pulled it out thinking it was like some kind of summit book. Nope it was empty and when I read some writing on it dropped it. They had stuck the emptied funeral container in the cairn!
 Rob Parsons 01 Jun 2013
In reply to BMrider:

> Also, I saw 3 or 4 piles of cremation ashes on top of Bow Fell, L.D., and on chatting with a Ranger found out that this IS an increasing problem ...

All this is arguing the same point, isn't it? And, in any case, all this has, I think, already been discussed and agreed to by the various authorities (such as we have them ...) in relation to the British hills. For example - as has already been mentioned in this thread - there was a clean up of memorials which had been left on the Ben.

The end point is pretty clear: please just don't leave stuff (of any kind) on our hills. Enjoy them; get out in them; but just leave them as they are.
 Doghouse 01 Jun 2013
> (In reply to wibb20)
>
>
> It's clear that actually she thinks that litter is OK as long as it's her beautiful meaningful litter and that it's all terribly unfair that nasty men are being horrid to her. If she had shown the slightest regret or understanding this thread would have been a lot shorter.
>
> jcm

About sums it up for me.
 fmck 02 Jun 2013
In reply to Doghouse:
I think its turned into a pretty good thread albeit drifting off the topic substantially

The usual saddo anoraks gathering to lay into one person is as much as I have come to expect and I noticed one in particular who seems to seek out such events. All very entertaining.
 wibb20 02 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck: Couldn't agree more.
 skog 02 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> The usual saddo anoraks gathering to lay into one person

I'm a happy anorak, so I'm not sure you care what I think, but I saw lots of completely separate people, who happen to feel much the same way, replying to something that they felt strongly about, posted by one person.

I can see how that might look like bullying or picking on someone - but we're on the internet, where people can't talk over you and the original statement doesn't vanish as soon as it's 'said', but sits there being 'said' again to each separate person as they read it for the first time.

There remains a non-zero chance that this whole thing is a troll, and if so it's a bit of a classic (I especially like the vaguely-defined quasi-religious stuff), but as I've been meaning to get back to these hills for a while, I'll try to do so sometime in the next few weeks and have a bit of a tidy while I'm at it.

Anyway, I'm off for a tussock-toddle while the weather holds; my anorak's already packed. Enjoy the hills, folks!
 fmck 02 Jun 2013
In reply to skog:

That would be worth it. : )

Its just folks perceiving things differently. I said before how can you get upset over wee flags but find a block of concrete (trigs) acceptable. At that point they all turn on the defence of concrete on the hill. I then say I agree because I helped build 400m3 blocks for wind farms. I then got called a tosser. Yeh canny win! : )
andymac 02 Jun 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:

I personally don`t have a problem with the flags ,as shown in the photo.

Worse things left and more damage done to summits than a few ,colourful flags.

Noticed this morning at the summit of Ben More (Mull) ,that a memorial plaque to a local lady appears to have been flung over the cliff.

And on a regular basis some knobhead sees fit to kick the cairn of stones over.

Regarding the plaque;

Chap up from Edinburgh, who was at the summit ,had the theory that the Munro chiefs are having a big clamp down on any memorials etc left on hills.
 xplorer 02 Jun 2013

In reply to Hans:

"Been Climbing For
1 to 3 years"

It's depressing how often the most foolishly opinionated posters have this on their profile.

Still, never mind. We'll all be dead soon.

jcm

You just love how wise you think you are don't you!
Haggis Trap 02 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:

> how can you get upset over wee flags but find a block of concrete (trigs) acceptable.

> The usual saddo anoraks gathering to lay into one person...

> To get depressed or even angry over a few flags is laughable.

> I said before how can you get upset over wee flags but find a block of concrete (trigs) acceptable. At that point they all turn on the defence of concrete on the hil

Basically what you are saying is that if any mountain has an existing piece of man made infrastructure with a practical purpose (cable car, signpost, path, trig point) then it is ok to drop litter (crisp packet, prayer flag, fag end) ?

Clearly that is nonsense.

> What a bunch of sad anoraks.

Remind me never to visit walkhighlands

People are entitled to their own valid opinion ?
Especially when other people actions potentially damage their enjoyment of the hills.

For sure one prayer flag on its own is harmless. Though what would happen if every munro completest decides to leave their mark? It is the matter of principal that is being debated here - not one specific piece of isolated Nepalese tourist tat left in the fisherfield's.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> I said before how can you get upset over wee flags but find a block of concrete (trigs) acceptable

If Ms 123 had left a block of concrete instead of some flags do you think there would have been (a) fewer complaints, (b) more complaints, (c) the same?
 Milesy 03 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> I said before how can you get upset over wee flags but find a block of concrete (trigs) acceptable. At that point they all turn on the defence of concrete on the hill.

And you already had replies. Trig points are already there and have been there quite a while. They served a legitimate purpose at one point and part of the history of the hills now. I would not complain if "they" decided to take them away, but it is unlikely.
 Milesy 03 Jun 2013
In reply to andymac:
> Worse things left and more damage done to summits than a few ,colourful flags.

Not by walkers. We don't exactly have control over what is done by landowners and people like the national trust.

> Noticed this morning at the summit of Ben More (Mull) ,that a memorial plaque to a local lady appears to have been flung over the cliff.

How do you deduct this theory? Did you see it get chucked "over a cliff". Did you see it at the bottom of the cliff? Or did you make a random assumption because it was gone?

> And on a regular basis some knobhead sees fit to kick the cairn of stones over.

Good.

> Chap up from Edinburgh, who was at the summit ,had the theory that the Munro chiefs are having a big clamp down on any memorials etc left on hills.

Who are the "Munro Chiefs"
 fmck 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to fmck)
> [...]
>
> If Ms 123 had left a block of concrete instead of some flags do you think there would have been (a) fewer complaints, (b) more complaints, (c) the same?

Ha! Not sure its a tricky one. Possibly (a) as long as she put it on a point of prominence for everyone to see. Burying it would be (b)and she would be called "a Tosser"

I noticed a picture of Goat Fell summit trig, Arran on another forum. It was taken last week and the trig had a new coat of paint. Who paints them still?

In reply to Newbuild100: Heidi, congrats on completing your Munro round!! Personally I wouldn't leave the prayer flags, they don't have any significance to me or scottish hill culture. Saying that, if I arrived at the summit and saw them I would be surprised, take a picture, walk off and forget about them. If they were old and tatty then I would probably remove it just like any other piece of rubbish or climbing tat that is finished with!

One off is not so bad but if it happened all the time I don't think I would be so happy. The picture of them isn't that bad really??

Is it litter........well I suppose it is technically!! I think we could all justify the act rightly or wrongly!
 Milesy 03 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> I noticed a picture of Goat Fell summit trig, Arran on another forum. It was taken last week and the trig had a new coat of paint. Who paints them still?

Goatfell is owned (or managed to use a more appropriate term) by NTS so I would assume that they do it. Many trig points sit on hills which are owned by estates and other landowners so have fell into disrepair. Walkers don't exactly have the authority or ability to anything about these. Litter and erosion is at least something which can be managed within the community. I am amazed that caring about our countyside and hills makes you an "anorak"
 Milesy 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Daniel Sutherland:
> Is it litter........well I suppose it is technically!! I think we could all justify the act rightly or wrongly!

Scottish Outdoor Access code is quite clear on rubbish and leaving nothing on the hills. We have amazing access rights up here that were fought hard for.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A309336.pdf
 Banned User 77 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Milesy: In the UK we have a strong 'take only pics, leave only footprints' ethos..

Thats the be all and end of it for me. OK some groups may opt for changes, but after consultation. So plaques, memorials, flags, additional cairns are all frowned upon.

Its now common on the Bob Graham, small cairns marking the route.. luminous tape marks the paddy buckley in places.. and all those people will frown at littering.. or additinal changes yet want to make their own additions.. strange.
 skog 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Milesy and fmck:

At least three of my ten favourite activities involve anoraks and/or tossing. I'm thinking of trying anorak tossing sometime.
In reply to wintertree:

> I am probably just trying to oppress you or summit.

Aren't spellcheckers wonderful?

jcm
 Simon Caldwell 03 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> the trig had a new coat of paint. Who paints them still?

When the OS originally started disposing of trig points, it was possibly for anyone to apply to "adopt" one. Duties of the adopter included making sure they were painted regularly!
Removed User 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Daniel Sutherland:
> (In reply to Newbuild100) Heidi, congrats on completing your Munro round!! Personally I wouldn't leave the prayer flags, they don't have any significance to me or scottish hill culture. Saying that, if I arrived at the summit and saw them I would be surprised, take a picture, walk off and forget about them. If they were old and tatty then I would probably remove it just like any other piece of rubbish or climbing tat that is finished with!
>
> One off is not so bad but if it happened all the time I don't think I would be so happy. The picture of them isn't that bad really??
>

I feel much the same. If the flags are cotton on a hemp rope or some other biodegradeable material then again that's less of an issue for me than if they were made of something that's going be around for decades, either on a cairn or more likely lying in a bog somewhere.

Yes there are worse bits of rubbish left on hills but that's no excuse for leaving more.
> Is it litter........well I suppose it is technically!! I think we could all justify the act rightly or wrongly!

fmck 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Milesy:

I think someone said earlier that title really belongs to walkhighlands types.
 wibb20 03 Jun 2013
> (In reply to wintertree)
>
> [...]
>
> Aren't spellcheckers wonderful?
>
> jcm

Obviously yours doesn't work either... I have never heard of the Irag war - is this your one man crusade against litter louts!? :P
In reply to wibb20:

You're not very bright, are you?

jcm
 Milesy 03 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:

And what are walkhighlands types? Most of the climbers I know are also walkers (including walkhighlands types) and all still have the same views on litter.
 wibb20 03 Jun 2013
> (In reply to wibb20)
>
> You're not very bright, are you?
>
> jcm

It must be something to do with your name I think - but what's a in name Mr Cocks (sorry - my spellchecker is broken again)? Oh please, great master of the hills, enlighten a poor dim person such as myself with your worldly knowledge. Then perhaps I too can grow up to be an arrogant tit who gets off on belittling others. Pray tell, just what is the Irag war, or is your humour and wit just on a whole different level to mere mortals such as myself?
 fmck 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Not sure what you mean its like your are asking a question then telling me the answer.
Do you want a reply or you happy enough to continue with yourself?
andymac 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to andymac)
> [...]
>
> Not by walkers. We don't exactly have control over what is done by landowners and people like the national trust.
>
> [...]
>
> How do you deduct this theory? Did you see it get chucked "over a cliff". Did you see it at the bottom of the cliff? Or did you make a random assumption because it was gone?
>
> [...]
>
> Good.
>
> [...]
>
> Who are the "Munro Chiefs"

Oh Dear.

From the sound of things ,you are the Munro Chief.

I think you may be in need of some fresh air.

Seocan 04 Jun 2013
I'm with the majority here, if you want to dump your rubbish come to North Lanarkshire, the weedgies don't mind it one bit.
 Milesy 04 Jun 2013
In reply to Seocan:
> I'm with the majority here, if you want to dump your rubbish come to North Lanarkshire, the weedgies don't mind it one bit.

Except people from North Lanarkshire don't consider themself weedgies?
 fmck 04 Jun 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Seocan)
> [...]
>
> Except people from North Lanarkshire don't consider themself weedgies?

Indeed, the correct term here is ned.

Removed User 04 Jun 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: Well done and good on you (I've got a few still to do no thanks to that lot with altimeters). I have no probs with the prayer flags and they've at least got to be better than the plastic Mickey Mouse that was on the top of Stob Coire Raineach at the beginning of May... Come on, who put that there and why?
In reply to Milesy: yes I take your point but you have to apply common sense and discretion. Is soac a legal requirement of outdoor users?
 Burnymill 04 Jun 2013
In reply to heidi123: "Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing except photographs"
 fmck 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Burnymill:

Do you carry your crap n pish in your rucksack?
 Sir Chasm 05 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> Do you carry your crap n pish in your rucksack?

Do you crap n pish on hill tops?
 Banned User 77 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to fmck)
> [...]
>
> Do you crap n pish on hill tops?

yeah.. crap will degrade..
 Sir Chasm 05 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Really? You save it for the top and decorate the trig point with your faeces like biodegradable prayer flags? Dirty fecker.
In reply to Sir Chasm: Yeah.. thats what I said.. idiot.. but if out for a 5-6 hr run and I need to have a shit I will..
 Sir Chasm 05 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK: We're talking about decorating summits, hence my use of "hill tops", not your bowel control, fool.
In reply to Sir Chasm: I've shat on many hill tops.. maybe if you spend more time out you'd need to go occassionally...
 Sir Chasm 05 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Sir Chasm) I've shat on many hill tops.. maybe if you spend more time out you'd need to go occassionally...

Well try going away from the top, it's nicer for other people. And whining on the internet about people on the internet not getting out? Motes and beams, dear boy.
 MG 06 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Sir Chasm)
> [...]
>
> yeah.. crap will degrade..

But pretty unpleasant and it can also contaminant water with various nasties. Go before you go and all that...
andymac 06 Jun 2013
In reply to MG:

Not always possible to go before you go.

sometimes ,on a long day, there is nothing that can be done.
 martinph78 06 Jun 2013
In reply to andymac: Carry some toilet paper in a ziplock bag, and use said ziplock bag to carry your sh*t out with you. I thought that went without saying!
andymac 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

If I have to go ,I will give my fecal matter a decent Christian burial.

don't see what harm my turds will be doing to the environment.

fmck 06 Jun 2013
In reply to andymac:

Yeh. Does Martin pick up all the animal dung he finds like the folks on here go on about litter. Must be a big sack on his back.

Feck sake imagine carrying yer shit in your rucksack! Its like a guy I used to go climbing with who admitted to pissing in his pot at night. Horrified that he had made me brews in the past. This one could be offering you anything at lunch time.
 martinph78 06 Jun 2013
In reply to andymac: No problem if you bury it, probably helping the flora in some way

martinph78 06 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck: Yes I take a carrier bag and I collect litter when I'm out on the hill/at the crag. Guess I should shrug it off as someone elses problem?

Animal waste is different to human waste, we are much more likely to catch various illnesses and diseases from human waste (and dogs) than we are sheep and cows.

I wondered how much further into the ridiculous this thread would go...it turned to sh*t after the fith post but now it really has gone down the pan!
 Banned User 77 06 Jun 2013
In reply to MG: I try.. I run 12-14 hrs a week.. the chance of needing a shit is high. Tonight I was out in Rostocker Hiede.. huge forest.. running with a mate, he's not used to the German food and always struggles.. 1 mile in he always stops for a shit.. 'Iain Where's my shit tree'.. he's got a really heavy Africaan accent.. just cracks me up.. it gives me an easy mile while I wait..

Running aids peristaltic motion.. its why when you don't run you get constipated as your body becomes accustomed to the motion of running.

Banned User 77 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Martin1978:
> (In reply to andymac) Carry some toilet paper in a ziplock bag, and use said ziplock bag to carry your sh*t out with you. I thought that went without saying!

Nah.. I stopped for a shit twice running off snowdon one day.. took me 26 mins summit to llanberis with stops.. I was reported to Welsh Athletics as I basically just dropped the shorts and shitted.. but any runner has been caught.. from Paula to Steve Jones.. so they all just laughed..
andymac 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

indeed.

and apart from that ,having an alfresco dump is a very liberating experience.

Almost a Hamlet moment.

wintertree 06 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> (In reply to andymac)

> Feck sake imagine carrying yer shit in your rucksack!

An awful lot of people hiking in the national parks of the USA manage it every day. Plenty of ecosystems would be quite upset by human turds, and it takes a lot of effort to avoid contaminating water supplies etc.

http://restop.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=4
 fmck 06 Jun 2013
In reply to wintertree:

Euughhh! Yah bunch of mingers. That's serious anorak.
 Scomuir 06 Jun 2013
In reply to wintertree:
Solves one problem, creates another. While plodding up Mt Whitney last October, we realised that some people hadn't quite grasped the concept. They had used the bags, and sealed them up. They then left them by the side of the path...
 fmck 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Scomuir:

R they biodegradable therefore hiding them from the the eyes of city folks not used to turds in the wilds?
Removed User 06 Jun 2013
In reply to andymac:
> (In reply to Martin1978)
>
> indeed.
>
> and apart from that ,having an alfresco dump is a very liberating experience.
>
> Almost a Hamlet moment.

More of a Monte Cristo moment.

wintertree 07 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
>
> Euughhh! Yah bunch of mingers. That's serious anorak.

If by "serious anorak" you mean "well thought out solution that allows many people to experience a turd free wilderness" that you're spot on.
 wintertree 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Scomuir:
> Solves one problem, creates another. While plodding up Mt Whitney last October, we realised that some people hadn't quite grasped the concept. They had used the bags, and sealed them up. They then left them by the side of the path...

Presumably the same form of mental retardation suffered by many dog walkers in Britain.

Although to be fair I'd rather see a sealed up poo bag that the rangers can cart out than a steaming turd, as is apparently common on various parts of the continent.
 Siward 07 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck: Gotta do it in Yosemite (and other US destinations):

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/climbingtrash.htm
 fmck 07 Jun 2013
In reply to wintertree:
> (In reply to fmck)
> [...]
>
> If by "serious anorak" you mean "well thought out solution that allows many people to experience a turd free wilderness" that you're spot on.

Hitler would be proud of your clinical clean wilderness.How do you expect to police the wild life or we talking mass extermination?

It only bothers me when the dog finds a human one and eats it! Its murder in the car with him panting away.
 MG 07 Jun 2013
In reply to andymac:
> (In reply to MG)
>
> Not always possible to go before you go.
>
> sometimes ,on a long day, there is nothing that can be done.

No but it's a good aim. Some of the posts here seem to taking delight in the amount of shit they deposit around the place.
 Simon Caldwell 07 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> Hitler would be proud of your clinical clean wilderness

Thread over, you lose
 Banned User 77 07 Jun 2013
In reply to MG: Eh..

How is that delight.. of course I'd rather shit in a toilet.. but I've no issues with having one in the hills..

You really are one of lifes idiots..

MG 07 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to MG) Eh..
>
> How is that delight..

I quote "... I stopped for a shit twice running off snowdon one day.. took me 26 mins summit to llanberis with stops... as I basically just dropped the shorts and shitted"
 graeme jackson 07 Jun 2013
In reply to MG: To be fair to iain he didn't say he took any pleasure from the experience.
 fmck 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Toreador:

Eh!

Rather odd statement. What do you mean? "Thread ends" you lose : /

This isn't my thread or some form of race (I think!)

There maybe could be a bit of market research for manufacturers to create a rucksack with a toilet seat and frame. : )
 Rob Parsons 07 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:

> Rather odd statement. What do you mean? "Thread ends" you lose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
 fmck 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Rob Parsons:
> (In reply to fmck)
>
> [...]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Wowwwwww!

Deep

Its staggering that folks devote so much of their time into studying the Internet. He maybe should avoid social network sites for a while.

Hitler card played. You need to poo in a bag now folks. : )

malky_c 08 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> (In reply to Rob Parsons)
> [...]
> Its staggering that folks devote so much of their time into studying the Internet. He maybe should avoid social network sites for a while.

...says the guy who keeps bringing this thread back to life! If the anorak fits...
 fmck 08 Jun 2013
In reply to malky_c:

Hmmm , shame on you in failing to obey forum protocol and stop when the Hitler card was played. Read on the big Cagooles link.
 fmck 08 Jun 2013
In reply to malky_c:

Billy Connely tour of Australia states in Canberra " the perfect lines, etc hitler would be proud of. Its on his television show. Did he see something different when he made that statement.
Goodwin?
: )
Removed User 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Judging by the way this thread went, I hope it was indeed chocolate you sampled on the top...
PopShot 14 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:
> (In reply to malky_c)
>
> Billy Connely tour of Australia states in Canberra " the perfect lines, etc hitler would be proud of. Its on his television show. Did he see something different when he made that statement.
> Goodwin?
> : )

I'm not surprised that Mr Connelly quoted Hitler on his show. His fellow countrymen have voted into power an extremist goverment who are not very far off being nazis. Just watch them if they get indepence from us. They will show there true colours then.

andymac 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed Userie Boy:

talking about turds always creates a bit of interest on forums.

turds put bums on seats

fmck 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Toreador:

Guess not then. Will we try Mussolini?

Don't think I have ever trod on a human one so as long as out of sight don't care. On the other hand those that stick a turd back in their rucksack must always have folk round them going " you smell shit I'm sure I can smell shit" and checking there boots. You can just imagine everyone's faces if you piped up " no its me I did a shit earlier and I have here in my bag"

Maybe it will catch on.
andymac 14 Jun 2013
In reply to fmck:

Ding Ding Ding.

Round No.2
 fmck 14 Jun 2013
In reply to andymac:

I thought round 2 was trigs after those god flags.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...