UKC

Would you buy an old shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
EveningWind 29 May 2013
Hello,
I am knew here so nice to meet you all,

i am looking for an opinion on a matter of buying an old shoe.
So i need to buy a new summer mountaineering shoe.
i dont have a lot of options around where i live ,so things come down to this:
http://www.rei.com/product/748161/raich ... boots-mens

Raichle All Degree Pro SL - a very good shoe but the thing is
1. Raichle has been sold to Mammut for like 5 years now
2. The shoe has been in the warehouse of the store since approx. 2009

there aren't any deformation on the sole and it looks very good and new.
i couldn't see no flaws on the connection area of the sole to the boot.

would you buy a shoe that old?
what are the damages an unused sustains during the storage - given that it has been stored in proper conditions.

thanks
 lithos 29 May 2013
In reply to EveningWind:

1) does it fit ? if not forgte it
2) does it come with guarantee ?

3) usually quality boots last fine, but i've had 2 cheaper less substantial boots/shoes (summer walking) fall apart after 5 years of storage with no use as the foam in the sole unit (not rubber) has disintegrated. This was Merrell and Saloman so reputable brands.
 jkarran 29 May 2013
In reply to EveningWind:

Hello.

If it fits and it's good value, why not. do you have some specific concerns?

jk
EveningWind 29 May 2013
In reply to EveningWind:
yes it fits well. and no it does not come with a guarantee Riachle has been now sold to MAMMUT corp.
It's Raichle which i think is (was) one of the best makers.
my main concern is the aging of the ruber mid and outsole and the glue that hold the sole unit together.
 Timmd 29 May 2013
In reply to EveningWind:

I think my parents found that their Raichle boots didn't stay together too well compared to their Miendle boots.
 jkarran 29 May 2013
In reply to EveningWind:

My Riachle boots of similar vintage (a bit older I think) are still in good shape, they've not been stored carefully (on the floor in the car I think for the last year) and have a couple of hundred miles on them at a guess. Don't know if that helps or not.

jk
In reply to EveningWind: I've a pair of Raichle 60 degree boots that are now 6yrs old. Little used as I don't do alot of winter walking, so mainly stored. Had them out a bit last winter and still as new. No obvious deterioration, and I have absolutely no concern with using them. This may help with your decision.
Would I buy them? Probably depends partly on how they were stored, but I would consider them if they were the "right" boot. If buying from a UK retailer you will still have some rights under the Sale of Goods Act though these will be alot less than normal. You could agree on what would be a reasonable timescale to test them as part of the purchase?
EveningWind 15 Jun 2013
In reply to EveningWind:

Another Question-
almost all of the websites show the Mammut Meridian GTX when you search info about the Raichle 90 degree . do you think is the same boot - hence Raichle has been bought by mammut.

pics- mammut meridian
http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/301000510_v_3022_55/Meridian-GTX%C2%A...

Riachle 90 degree
http://www.outdoorworks.de/index.php?prod=524&vid=4001&function=set...

looks the same boot to me.

another question:
Are Mammut Meridian GTX too hot for summer mountaineering in the Alps?
what does the this mean (found it in the shoes specs) Insulation value:
-35 °C (EN ISO 20344)

In reply to EveningWind:
> Another Question- do you think is the same boot
Why not email Mammut? They would be the best to answer your question. Users can probably only have a guess.
 Guy Hurst 15 Jun 2013
In reply to EveningWind: If the boot has EVA in the sole unit then I might be a bit cautious. It deteriorates with age and eventually turns to powder. PU shock absorbing units are a lot more durable.
EveningWind 15 Jun 2013
In reply to EveningWind:

hmm good idea, i will E-mail Mammut about it.
In reply to EveningWind: This page seems to suggest they're the same. http://www.outdoorworks.de/index.php?prod=524&vid=4001&function=set...
EveningWind 16 Jun 2013
In reply to EveningWind:

what does that mean when - (taken from the shoes specs):
Insulation value -35 °C (EN ISO 20344)

psychomansam 16 Jun 2013
In reply to EveningWind:

I have a similar pair of Raichle B3's of similar vintage. Got them used. Still going great. Brilliant boot, no problems.
EveningWind 19 Jun 2013
In reply to psychomansam:

similar? or the same model?
im trying to find out how would they preform in summertime conditions. i dont know if i will boil my feet in them or not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...