UKC

New Book Release

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just in case anyone is interested, there is a book on Everest which has just been released this month, and to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the climb, it's is free today (29th May) until midnight. It is currently in the best selling charts, being in the top 100 selling books today, and top 1 for sports bios and mountaineering. Well worth a look especially as it is free. Tell everyone who might be interested!

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CGX3T7K
JackN 29 May 2013
In reply to Matthew Dieumegard-Thornton: What formats is this available on please?
In reply to JackN: Hi Jack, it's currently available from Amazon and in Kindle format. If you click 'buy' and you don't have kindle, you can get the app for almost any format.. i.e. PC/Mac/Andriod etc..
Hope that helps. The book is currently doing well, so hopefully it will be in hard/paperback soon if it's success continues.
 Yanis Nayu 29 May 2013
In reply to JackN:
> (In reply to Matthew Dieumegard-Thornton) What formats is this available on please?

Landscape, surely?
 Only a hill 29 May 2013
In reply to Matthew Dieumegard-Thornton:
#81 in the free charts ... impressive! What paid rank has it reached so far, if you don't mind me asking? I've found the mountaineering chart to be reasonably competitive (largely thanks to the good work of Mark Horrell and other steady performers) but have found my way into the Top Ten a few times. Good luck with it!
 sjminfife 29 May 2013
Thanks for this.
sjm
In reply to Only a hill: I'm not sure yet, as it was actually only released on the 19th, and this has been the first promotion today, so perhaps by the end of the week I'll know where it's going. But yes, a very competitive market which is why so many struggle to get published!
In reply to Submit to Gravity: Haha portrait for a biography, no?!
 pneame 29 May 2013
Likely to appear in the US?
 Only a hill 29 May 2013
You should read "Let's Get Visible" by David Gaughran. It provides some vital information on how to remain relevant, as most kindle books sink without trace within a few weeks of their release. One of the key messages is that KDP Select promos no longer really work and often have a negligible impact on paid rank or sales. Drop me a line if you need any other tips ... I've picked up a few things over the last year!
In reply to Only a hill: Okay thanks for that, will check it out. Hopefully I can keep the momentum going!
 Only a hill 29 May 2013
> (In reply to Only a hill) Okay thanks for that, will check it out. Hopefully I can keep the momentum going!

Well I've downloaded the book and will be writing a review for my blog when I've read it

I would have downloaded it, if you'd have had the honesty to say; "Here's a free book I've written."
 pneame 30 May 2013
Cool - thanks. New item at the top of my reading list
Andy from Aberdeen 30 May 2013
In reply to stroppygob: Agreed
In reply to stroppygob: I'm sorry, did you have a bad day at work or something? I thought it would be nice and obvious given the fact my account name is the same as the person who wrote the book!
AS a young climber and someone who has put a lot of time and effort into writing a book, it would be greatly appreciated if you could support me rather than dismissing it in such a manner.
In reply to pneame: thank you for your support!
> (In reply to stroppygob) I'm sorry, did you have a bad day at work or something? I thought it would be nice and obvious given the fact my account name is the same as the person who wrote the book!

You're really not endearing me to yourself.

> AS a young climber and someone who has put a lot of time and effort into writing a book, it would be greatly appreciated if you could support me rather than dismissing it in such a manner.

I haven't dismissed your book, nor your time and efforts. I've dismissed your promotional style.

JackN 30 May 2013
In reply to stroppygob: don't listen to this man Matthew. I think you can tell by his user name that he's a first class douche, and after reading about your charity work, you come across as endearing enough and shouldn't have to put up with this. I got the book and think it's great, can't put it down! Congrats on the great read and the success it's currently having.
 AdrianC 30 May 2013
In reply to JackN: Hmmm, I feel Mr Stroppygob has a point here. It may indeed be a great read - he didn't comment on that - but the original post does seem to be a little short on candour to me.
 pneame 30 May 2013
In reply to JackN:
Like.

I'm truly astonished. And it takes a lot on UKC to astonish me. A chap, John Unusual-Name, has posted on UKC that a book by John Unusual-Name is available for download and a UKCer (or two!) automatically assumes it's crap because John Unusual-Name is the author.

This is about the same as a 6-year old saying "it's green. It's disgusting. I won't eat it"

But maybe that is par for UKC.
Good grief.
 Steve Perry 30 May 2013
In reply to pneame:
>
> But maybe that is par for UKC.

Your right its called jealousy.

Only a hill 30 May 2013
In reply to pneame:
> (In reply to JackN)
> Like.
>
> I'm truly astonished. And it takes a lot on UKC to astonish me. A chap, John Unusual-Name, has posted on UKC that a book by John Unusual-Name is available for download and a UKCer (or two!) automatically assumes it's crap because John Unusual-Name is the author.
>
> This is about the same as a 6-year old saying "it's green. It's disgusting. I won't eat it"
>
> But maybe that is par for UKC.
> Good grief.

I agree. I've seen some authors who are willing to spam the hell out of every forum they see just to get a sale. Trust me, the author in question here has done nothing wrong and we should all wish him good luck.
 pneame 30 May 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
I'm about 20% through it - it's a fun read. The author has a wry, self deprecating sense of humor and it's intriguing to watch him learn through his writing. He's just been dealing with the effects of altitude for the first time.....
Totally identify - it's always a bit of a shocker!
In reply to Steve Perry:
> (In reply to pneame)
> [...]
>
> Your right its called jealousy.

I've had books up on Amazon Kindle free for over two years, so no.

Andy from Aberdeen 02 Jun 2013
In reply to AdrianC: Agreed
 Only a hill 11 Jun 2013
To resurrect this topic, I've now read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Here is my review:
http://www.alexroddie.com/2013/06/dare-to-dream-by-matthew-dieumegard.html
 felt 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Anyone read this one? I've seen it reviewed and it's mostly positive, but I'm not sure whether to shell out?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Hours-Everest-gripping-Mallory/dp/0007455755
 Only a hill 11 Jun 2013
In reply to felt:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
>
> Anyone read this one? I've seen it reviewed and it's mostly positive, but I'm not sure whether to shell out?
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Hours-Everest-gripping-Mallory/dp/0007455755

Not read it yet but it's on my to-review list! From what I've heard I doubt you'll be disappointed.
 felt 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

The Wade Davis book is quite a bit longer and also has had positive reviews; have you read that one? Not sure which to go for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...