/ El Chorro, where to base ones self

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SCrossley on 30 May 2013
Hi,
off to El Chorro in October and was intending staying in El Chorro, but chatting to a friend last night and he commented El Chorro is not so nice and that some lakes up above are really nice. Would this be a better place to stay, we will have a car.
Cheers sjc
Siderunner - on 30 May 2013
In reply to sjc:

You don't say what sort of accomodation? are you camping?

I'd always recommend "The Olive Branch", lovely and comfortable accommodation, communal kitchen, swimming pool, friendly and accomodating owners, good value. They have nice b&b style rooms some ensuite, bunk accomodation (IIRC), and also allow camping. They do good breakfasts and some evening meals too!
SCrossley on 30 May 2013
In reply to sjc:
Hello,
we are looking to Self Cater and are considering the Olive Branch or similar, but these I believe are in El Chorro, and really I am interested if we can stop in a scenically nicer spot without it affecting climbing, my friend mentiond Despelodoma ?
peter myers - on 30 May 2013
In reply to sjc:

places like the olive branch and finca de la campana are not bang in the middle of chorro village they are up the hill in the valley,with fairly nice views of the countryside. the village of chorro is a little bit run down( like much of spain) but it is peaceful, atmosphericand charming in it's own way- hardly a metropolis. then whole place would still be very scenic were it not for the hydro dam on the lake there.

it is really convenient to be there as it does rain in Chorro but not all the time. if you are close you can better judge when you can get out before or after rain. you'll get more climbing done if you are in a position to judge when you can give it a go without making a half hour car drive.

also staying with lots of other climbers and people wiith local knowledge of the climate and climbing areas can help you to get the most out of the trip and IMO the social scene of places like chorro is part of what makes it so good. that said you will meet lots of people at the crags too.

it is worth having a car to get out to places like despomilandia, the climbing there is great. although on a first trip there is plenty to do in the chorro valley without one.

I've stayed in Finca and in Olive Branch. Olive Branch is great, right next to Las Encantadasand youcan walk to most places in the valley but it was very British ie most peole there were from thr UK. Finca was a very similar set, although slightly less conveniently placed but still fine especially with a car. The owners were not as noticably warm as the Olive branch but the clientele were much more international.
peter myers - on 30 May 2013
In reply to peter myers: *set up
SCrossley on 30 May 2013
In reply to peter myers:
Thanks for that, a really helpful reply
Sjc
izo - on 30 May 2013
In reply to sjc:
Hey

Been to El Chorro quite a few times and we always stay at this place:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/listings/info.php?id=227&t=stay

We were a 4 so stayed in Casita Blanca. Really nice little place and super close to drive or walk to climbs, and very reasonable if you go late in the year (october...perfect temp for climbing) lovely seating area outside for sangria after a hard days climb
and a pool in case you need it!
Chris Harris - on 30 May 2013
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to sjc)
> Hello,
> we are looking to Self Cater and are considering the Olive Branch or similar, but these I believe are in El Chorro, and really I am interested if we can stop in a scenically nicer spot without it affecting climbing, my friend mentiond Despelodoma ?

Assuming you mean Desplomilandia - this is a nice spot, but no habitation very near by. We stayed in the small town of Ardales - a pleasant small town with several restaurants & bars & a fairly short drive to most climbing.

We used these people:

http://www.ardalesvillage.com/

And stayed here:

http://www.ardalesvillage.com/Property_Details.aspx?RentalPropertyID=19

timjones - on 30 May 2013
In reply to sjc:
> Hi,
> off to El Chorro in October and was intending staying in El Chorro, but chatting to a friend last night and he commented El Chorro is not so nice and that some lakes up above are really nice. Would this be a better place to stay, we will have a car.
> Cheers sjc

I would agree that El Chorro is not the liveliest or most scenic of places to stay.

We stopped in Alora which is a lovely town with a range of shops, bars etc and easy access to a range of crags if you have a hire car.
biscuit - on 30 May 2013
dr_botnik - on 30 May 2013
In reply to sjc: I would second any call for the Olive Branch. That place is AMAZING.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.