UKC

Slightly warmer than a Vapour Rise Lite?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlanLittle 02 Jun 2013
Due to continuous pouring rain - May was the second wettest month ever recorded in Bavaria, apparently - my planned bank holiday weekend sport climbing in the Frankenjura turned into a bank holiday weekend hillwalking in pouring rain in the Bavarian Alps.

In the course of which I discovered that my Vapour Rise Lite jacket, although it's light enough to not overheat under a shell when I'm working hard uphill, is then not really warm enough when it's got good & moist in there and I'm not going uphill any more. I have an R2 fleece which I suspect would wick and handle moisture rather better under a shell, but would be far too hot for going uphill.

So, what's similar to a Vapour Rise Lite but just slightly warmer? How much warmer for example is the standard Vapour Rise?
 BnB 02 Jun 2013
In reply to AlanLittle: There's nothing wrong with your mid-layer that a second lightweight midlayer, say 200g (eg Rab Boreas or a base layer sized up a notch) wouldn't fix. Throw it on over the VR when you reach the top and stop generating heat. Simples.

Might be coming your way this Summer. Stayed in Berchtesgarten 2 years ago. Loved it. Any recommendations?
OP AlanLittle 02 Jun 2013
In reply to BnB:

Climbing or walking? Berchtesgaden is a fantastic area for both, actually. The Steinernes Meer for example is an absolute must, with loads of interesting summits to go at if you're comfortable on ridge scrambling up to UIAA II or so.
 Run_Ross_Run 02 Jun 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:
What are you wearing as a base layer or are you using the V L as the base too?

Maybe think about a close fitting good quality base layer in dif weights.

Might be the answer.

Ive got a V L smock and find it a little too warm but I dont use it on its own. Normally run cold but we're all dif.
OP AlanLittle 02 Jun 2013
In reply to Darren09:
>
> What are you wearing as a base layer or are you using the V L as the base too?
>

Good point. Brynje string teeshirt, and the main problem is my arms getting cold. Maybe I need a long sleeved Brynje (and ignore my mates laughing at it). Tried a lightweight long sleeved merino top over the teeshirt, but I find merino absorbs & retains too much moisture in really wet conditions.
 BnB 02 Jun 2013
In reply to AlanLittle: I agree. Merino is great for skiing/snowboarding where you don't generate much sweat but too clammy for climbing. Maybe a long sleeve wicking base will make the difference. Experiment!!

Steinernes Meer could be good. I have the map somewhere from previous holiday. I'll look it out. Scrambling a la Cuillin ridge is just the ticket. Not going to be coming over with a big rack. Family trip.
 Run_Ross_Run 02 Jun 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:

I'm a bit of a fan of the Nike pro combat compression gear. They do some different weights and styles so you may find something that fits the bill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...