UKC

Peak Grit how bad are the midgies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2013
Are the midgies much of a problem yet on the peak gritstone?
Hirosim 03 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Terrible when the wind drops
OP CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Hirosim:
when were you last there when they were bad and which crag?
 mark20 03 Jun 2013
No problems on the Moors this weekend. Make sure you head somewhere with a breeze. Looks like the wind will be from the East this week, meaning the usual W facing crags might be a bit grim (and roasting hot anyway)
In reply to mark20:
have you seen them out in force this year yet?
 Coel Hellier 03 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I've not noticed any midges on the grit yet this year (although I've not been out in still weather late evening in the last couple of weeks).
 LakesWinter 03 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Well I was at Crookrise last Thursday and it was ok despite being sheltered from the wind until about 7.30pm when they started coming out. like Mark said it'll be too hot on most eastern grit crags atm as the wind is easterly
In reply to LakesWinter:
"Mark said it'll be too hot on most eastern grit crags atm as the wind is easterly"

well looking at the weather forecast I doubt this weekend will be above 20 degrees on the higher crags, probably more like 18, whilst that may not be ideal it doesn't exactly rule grit out.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
None at all at Dovestone Quarry yesterday, even when the wind dropped.
In reply to CurlyStevo: I've climbed regularly and extensively on Peak gritstone over the past four years and have yet to see a single midgie anywhere there.
 Chris the Tall 05 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Was on Stanage Popular til 8:30 on Monday night - the midgies were gathering but not biting - yet.

Pack midge repellant and be wary of evening where the wind is from the east
 BossHog 05 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: No midges out yet. Been climbing for last 2 weeks all over grit and not a biting midge in sight. I think this weekend is the return of them!
 BossHog 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: .. Ha!! Obviously not last year then, they were horrendous!
 Simon Caldwell 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:
Can you let me know next time you're planning a visit and I'll try to get to the same crag on the same day!
In reply to robcaesar: I was on peak gritstone throughout last summer and I swear I never saw one. I always climb during the day and pack up about tea time so maybe that's why. I presume they come out in the evening.
 charley 05 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: They were biting Monday evening at Millstone....
Netsrik 06 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: If you're not bleeding, you're not having enough fun.
 Jayboy 06 Jun 2013
We are all gonna get midged!!
 Andy Hardy 06 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: they were out but not biting too badly last night at the plantation
 snoop6060 06 Jun 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:

They were rampant at chee tor last night, though that's not surprising.
 Simon Caldwell 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:
> I always climb during the day and pack up about tea time so maybe that's why

No, you were just very lucky!

Example, Burbage North on 22nd September. We managed 3 routes before the midges got too bad. As we fled along the crag there was a line of people doing the same!
OP CurlyStevo 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Toreador:
I do find the midgies are not a problem during instense sunlight (when your in it) though.
 Jackwd 06 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: I got bitten to bits at Millstone on Monday, twenty or so bites. I like to think it's because i'm tasty, but only me and my climbing partner were there so I think it was more like a last resort...
OP CurlyStevo 10 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Well went to bamford saturday the midgies didn't show up at all until after 7 and then not too bad compared with normal for the time of year. On the campsite they did get a bit annoying in the evening. The next morning (starting early) and day on stanage no issues at all but we left about 5:30.
Paul F 10 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> Are the midgies much of a problem yet on the peak gritstone?

They're nearly as bad as the top ropers :0)
 xplorer 10 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

No midges yesterday on froggat
 Muel 10 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

None seen so far this year, but one memorable day last year we got eaten alive at Burbage North. Literally hundreds of bites each, and one of our party ended up going to the doctors. She had bite marks for weeks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...