UKC

Techy Turbine question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 03 Jun 2013
I realise this is a long way from climbing but the breadth of knowledge on here never fails to amaze me so I'll give this a go.

I'm looking for some some decent info on turbine design that goes past the standard undergraduate text. I'm looking more for a design guide for an axial flow turbine with incompressible fluid. The undergraduate books I've seen always start with specifying turbine speed and blade angles from which you can work out power output etc. I want something that works the other way round.

Yours hopefully...

andic 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User:

if you are in sheffield i can lend you a copy of Gas turbine theory
 Dan Lane 03 Jun 2013
> ...I've seen always start with specifying turbine speed and blade angles from which you can work out power output etc. I want something that works the other way round.
>

I know nothing about turbines, but could you not just rearrange those equations?

Removed User 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Unfortunately not, from the theory that's presented there's always something missing.

Andic - thanks but I don't live remotely near Sheffield.
 wintertree 03 Jun 2013

> (In reply to Removed UserDan Lane)
>
> Unfortunately not, from the theory that's presented there's always something missing.
>
Isn't that because there is no unique solution going the other way round? That is a range covering multiple variables (turbine speed and blade angles) all produce the same power output, such that you can't go backwards without accepting the ambiguity or supplying one of the variables, or linking them together with some other constraint?

Knowing nothing about the actual equations everything I just said could be wrong.
Removed User 03 Jun 2013
In reply to wintertree:

It seems to be a bit like that, yes.

I guess what I'd really like to see is a worked example to figure out an efficient way of going through the design process.
 David Barratt 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: I work on the hydrology side of hydropower so don't know a vast amount about the turbines... but the sales engineers are generally pretty helpful. If you get a bit stuck, might be worth sending them an email. http://www.gilkes.com/page/78/Hydropower.htm
 woolsack 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: When you say you want something that works the other way round you are referring to the rearrangement of the equation not powering the turbine and calculating flow from it?
andic 03 Jun 2013

Since everyone else is putting their 2 penneth worth in and muddying the waters...

could you make an estimate or specify power then plot the design equations as a parametric with angle and speed varying to accomodate each other

adam11 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: PM me your Emither address and I'll ask my mate Pash to get in touch. He's a Phd Engineer that works for RR on turbine engines - he may well know. Be warned, I once asked him a simple question about indexing spark plugs on a race engine I was building and got a 72 page document to read!!!
 woolsack 03 Jun 2013
In reply to andic:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
>
> Since everyone else is putting their 2 penneth worth in and muddying the waters...
>
> could you make an estimate or specify power then plot the design equations as a parametric with angle and speed varying to accomodate each other

trouble you get posting on a forum....

oh, and last time I checked, gas was compressible
Removed User 03 Jun 2013
In reply to woolsack:

Yes but not all fluids are gases. I'm not sure I get your point.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help.

Adam, I'll maybe email your mate.

woolsack 03 Jun 2013
> (In reply to Removed Userwoolsack)
>
> Yes but not all fluids are gases. I'm not sure I get your point.
>

You asked for incompressible liquids, andic berated the rest of us for muddying the waters whilst offering you a book on Gas Turbines

Good luck with your search..
andic 04 Jun 2013
In reply to woolsack:

What isn't?
 woolsack 04 Jun 2013
In reply to andic: fair point!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...