UKC

Morecambe Bay - Cross Bay Walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Collie Flower 05 Jun 2013
If you've about in the Lake District and fancy a walk across Morecambe Bay, why not take part in the Cross Bay Walk. It's for a fantastic cause and you'll see the bay from an angle that not many do.

The walk is led by Cedric Robinson, who is the Queen's Official Guide to the Sands and is supported by members of the local rescue team. It's a good day out; gentle walking, lots of fresh air and the chance to say you've done something unique.

See below for more details.

http://www.baysearchandrescue.org.uk/cross-bay-walk.html
 The New NickB 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Collie Flower:

Have you done a walk with Cedric, ain't half a lot of faffing and going very slow, I suspect most people on here would prefer the walk Alan Sledmore does from Hest Bank to Grange, his team manages the route / safety for the Cross Bay Half as well. Lots of walks every year supporting lots of charities.
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Collie Flower)
>
> Have you done a walk with Cedric, ain't half a lot of faffing and going very slow, I suspect most people on here would prefer the walk Alan Sledmore does from Hest Bank to Grange, his team manages the route / safety for the Cross Bay Half as well. Lots of walks every year supporting lots of charities.

I'm not familiar with Alan's walks but I'm sure that they're fantastic as well. I'm merely advertising the opportunity to do a Cross Bay walk for anybody who's interested, and it's in support of a local rescue team which is a rea asset to the area. The Hagglunds were highly effective during the heavy snows of March around Bootle so it's not just quicksand rescues.

Lankyman 05 Jun 2013
In reply to The New NickB: I walked a version a few years ago from Silverdale (Jack Scout Crag actually) to Hest Bank. There was no hanging about and devil take the hindmost. There were probably several hundred doing it and a similar number running a bit later all in aid of Cancer Care. It's a fascinating part of the world and gives a totally different perspective on the surrounding fells. I got the T-shirt too.
 Carolyn 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Karl Lunt:
> I walked a version a few years ago from Silverdale (Jack Scout Crag actually) to Hest Bank.

Kent's Bank, maybe? Hest Bank would be more a walk along the coast than across the bay.....
In reply to Karl Lunt:

That would be with Alan's team.
In reply to Carolyn:

Definitely Hest Bank, 99% of crossing either start or finish at Hest Bank. Silverdale to Kent's Bank would be more coastal.

Silverdale and Hest Bank are on the east side of the estuary and Kents Bank is on the west. So HB to Silverdale doesn't cross the bay whereas KB to Silverdale does.

ALC
In reply to a lakeland climber:

You head out to the middle of the bay, the CancerCare walk which Karl did this then went from Silverdale to Hest Bank until last year when they switched the direction of the run (Hest Bank to Flookburgh) so it now goes to Flookburgh.

Eh? How many walks are you describing?

Flookburgh is at least a mile and a half from the sea and is closer to the Leven estuary than the Kent. Also if you took a direct (or near direct) line from Hest Bank in the direction of Flookburgh then the main channel is over 500 metres wide.

I don't think you are describing the routes very well. Meant in the best possible way.

ALC

I am describing two different walks which have been organised at different times alongside a run, which follows a third route.

Until 2011 the run, a half marathon was from Flookburgh to Hest Bank, the walk that was run alongside it, which Karl describes, went from Silverdale to Hest Bank. In 2012 they reversed the route of the half marathon, I assume for easier timing with the tide. So the walk finished at the same place they changed the walk to Silverdale to Flookburgh. I believe they are running this way on Sunday.

I see now. Where does it/they make landfall on the western side then?

ALC

The half marathon does a slightly contrived route heading south east then south west to make up the distance, but the channel has still been 300m wide when I have done it.

To be honest it changes all the time, I have seen it 500 of more metres wide running within a mile of Arnside or Silverdale.

I am not sure what you mean about landfall.

Where does the route leave the sands (or perhaps salt marsh) and get on to dry land?

ALC

If we are talking about the Silverdale to Hest Bank route, on the shore at Hest Bank, near to the level crossing.

If you mean Flookburgh, just east of the airfield, west of the village.
 Lankyman 05 Jun 2013
In reply to The New NickB: it was definitely Silverdale to Hest Bank. From Jack Scout it was directly out into the bay roughly going south west and then gradually veering south and south east in to Hest Bank. You feel like a long, long way out from the shore (definitely not hugging the coast). Sometimes, in clear weather, from Hest Bank it only looks like a short walk across to Grange but this is an illusion. Anyone thinking about heading out on their own needs to tread(!) very carefully and at the very least check tide tables. Going out too far unguided isn't recommended - a girl had to rescued just off Silverdale last weekend http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-22745213 Those tides move fast!
 Carolyn 05 Jun 2013

I'm glad I make sense to you - I'm thoroughly lost. Or drowning in quicksand, maybe?
 Carolyn 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Karl Lunt:

Ah, OK - a run on the Morecambe Bay sands, but hardly a cross bay run?

Any how's, something that's well worth a trip, and one of the few things I'd prefer to do as an organised event!

I think the idea that you are only crossing the bay if you are making landfall from east to west of visa versa of the Kent is a little silly, especially given it isn't the only river that empties into the bay and there are plenty of over channels.
In reply to Carolyn:

The half marathon is Hest Bank to Flookburgh, that is across the bay by any definition.
 Carolyn 05 Jun 2013

I think it seems strange because the Lancashire to (now) Cumbria route has been used, with variations, for a long time.

It's a bit like saying walking round a mountain is almost the same as going to the top
 Carolyn 05 Jun 2013

OK, I think I've caught up.....
 Lankyman 05 Jun 2013
In reply to The New NickB: The Bay is quite a complex shape with several major and minor estuaries and huge numbers of constantly shifting channels. Even the latest maps aren't accurate once out on the sands. You could argue that the only true crossing might be starting from somewhere near Fleetwood and ending up at Walney Island off Barrow. I've never heard of this being walked but every crossing is just one of many possibilities.
In reply to Karl Lunt:

Like you say, maps are not accurate and only ever show the gullies indicatively. They're constantly shifting and the sands are treacherous. The young lass last weekend was waist deep in quicksand, and having experienced it myself as part of the training Bay Search and Rescue do, I can say that it's almost impossible to get yourself out unaided if in up to you ankles, and very impossible to get yourself out if past your knees. I hit a soft spot once and sank in up to my buoyancy aid. I was going absolutely nowhere without help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...