UKC

Mallory Oxygen equipment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 07 Jun 2013
I’m writing a play for the 2014 Edinburgh fringe about George Mallory and I’d like to take a look at some of the type of oxygen equipment he would have used. I’ve only seen fairly grainy photos so far. Does anyone know if anything like that is still intact and if so where?

Mountains, Middle age and Much, Much More
http://johndburns.wordpress.com
OP John Burns 07 Jun 2013
In reply to John Burns: Thanks for that, good shot of the tanks. I'll contact Jim and see if he knows more.
Nicole MHT 07 Jun 2013
In reply to John Burns: Hi John
Mountain Heritage Trust have information on what Mallory was wearing when he was discovered and re-created the exact clothing with thanks to Mike Parsons and Mary Rose and their team. We have a booklet available with more info if you're interested.
Best
Maxine
Nicole MHT 07 Jun 2013
In reply to John Burns: Oh and we have a set of oxygen cylinders which weigh 11kg!
 Trangia 07 Jun 2013
In reply to John Burns:

The RGS is holding a 1953 Everest right now at it's premises in London. It's mainly photographs (good quality) and there is a lot about oxygen on Everest from the early expeditions (Mallory and Irvine) up to to the '53 one. There is an oxygen set on display, but IIRC is from '53

The exibition is well worth visiting, but I thinik it is only on for a few more days.

Suggest you contact the RGS
 malk 07 Jun 2013
In reply to John Burns: there's a sketch of Irvine's redesign here: http://www.juliesummers.co.uk/newsletters/newsletter-2011-01.php
i've read that the bottles weigh 5 3/4lb each and the backpack/regulators etc was 9lb, so less than 10kg for a 2 bottle summit attempt- comparable with hillary and tenzing?
OP John Burns 09 Jun 2013
In reply to John Burns: Thanks for all the help. I've discovered that some of his kit is in a US museum. The drawing was very useful thanks. I'll get in touch with the RGS and let you know how I get on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...