UKC

Blair Atholl to Aviemore via Glen Tilt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 08 Jun 2013
Just completed this brilliant backpacking route, camping at Falls of Tarf and staying at Corrour Bothy for the second night. If anyone else is considering the walk, it's about 41 miles (I added a cheeky extra day for some Munros) and the ford of the Geldie Burn could be problematic in spate (I'd take some trainers for the crossing to avoid wet boots).

Here's my trip writeup with pictures:
http://www.alexroddie.com/2013/06/Blair-Atholl-to-Aviemore-on-foot.html
dunirie 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Only a hill: cool! thanks for sharing
Jim C 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> ?..the ford of the Geldie Burn could be problematic in spate (I'd take some trainers for the crossing to avoid wet boots).
>
Trainers are perhaps a bit too heavy on a long trip, crocks would be lighter to carry just for the odd river crossing.

I will have a look at your pics , cheers.

OP Only a hill 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Jim C:
You're probably right. Interestingly people had left lightweight canvas shoes behind on either side of the ford, maybe for other people to use. I thought it was uncalled for to leave them behind though. Of course, being me, I just dived straight in and got wet boots and socks :P
 Mike Peacock 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Only a hill: It can be a bit painful but if I have to ford something normally I just go barefoot to save the hassle of wet boots (or the extra weight of trainers).
Tim Chappell 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike Peacock:

I thought the advice was not to ford things barefoot, as you have better grip with shoes on.

Wet boots are always likely to happen anyway, even if you're not fording streams/ rivers, and the priority is never keeping your feet dry; it's staying upright.

Like OAH, I just wade straight in.
 OMR 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: It's got to be the crocs. They weigh next to nothing, don't get sodden and can be used in the evening to give your feet a rest from your boots. I crossed the Geldie a day before Alex and enjoyed dry feet all day. (Apart from while I was knee deep in the Geldie, that is.)
 felt 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

But you get a better feel with the soles of your feet. Plus you get to throw your boots across the river and see them miss the other side.
 Mike Peacock 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Probably, but I suppose it all depends on the river in question. It would obviously be foolish to ford anything fast flowing/dangerous barefoot.
Jim C 08 Jun 2013
In reply to felt:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> But you get a better feel with the soles of your feet. Plus you get to throw your boots across the river and see them miss the other side.

Not so sure I agree with bare feet in the river anymore , I used to though, but after a friends mishap, I now always carry my boots on my sack for river crossings keeping my hands free for balance ( and wear crocks)

As a previous poster mentioned, crocks are very light to carry on your sack, waterproof, so no even heavier soggy trainers , and they are handy as a comfortable change of footwear when camping ,or whatever. (If I did not have size eleven feet, I would just stash a pair in the bottom of my sack, so I would always have them.)

Back to the subject though, looks like a good trip, I am familiar with the areas covered, but I have not always been as lucky with the weather!

This trip report brought back some mixed memories, of travelling there with a good friend, who has sadly left us,so suddenly, so young and fit,

I still find it hard to watch a video I have of him talking to me,and directly into the camera , taken not far from the bothy shown in this report. -sniff-
(silly old sod)
 sarongboy 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Only a hill:or remove socks & footbeds and walk across in boots. Replace footbeds and socks. Jobs a good un. Otherwise, crocs for me
Tim Chappell 09 Jun 2013
In reply to felt:

I think I get *too good* a feel with bare feet. Crossing streams barefoot can hurt. I jump around trying to avoid sharp rocks, and then I fall over.

Crossing in shoes is quicker, and shoes have a better grip on slimy rocks.

If I owned a pair of Crocs I'd use them. Perhaps I should get some.
 Simon Caldwell 10 Jun 2013
In reply to sarongboy:
> remove socks & footbeds and walk across in boots. Replace footbeds and socks. Jobs a good un

+1

either that, or wear fell running shoes, so it doesn't matter if they get wet. maybe take a spare pair of socks or two if backpacking, so you've got something dry for the evenings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...