UKC

Best view in the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trevers 10 Jun 2013
What is the most amazing view you've had in the UK.

For me, the view from the Crowberry Tower was pretty mindblowing- but there's hundreds of mountains that I haven't been up yet.

Basically I want to know where to head next.
istya 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers: Rest and be thankful, off the A83 (on a good day!)
 Run_Ross_Run 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Pen y Fan summit looking East still floats my boat even though ive seen it hundreds of times.
In reply to Trevers: Few can beat the view from Little Man across Keswick on a clear day although admittedly, my experience is very much limited to England and Wales.
 Mark Bull 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

My vote goes to a tiny (203m high) hill in the NW highlands: Meall an Fheadain near Achiltibuie (also know as the Polbain Mast Hill). From the top you can see a full sweep of the hills of the north west from Foinaven to the Skye Cuillin, including Quinag, Suilven, Stac Pollaidh, Ben More Coigach, An Teallach, the Fisherfields and the Torridon Hills. And the Summer Isles just off the coast and Harris and Lewis out to the west.
 steelbru 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:
Looking west from the summit of A' Mhaighdean in Fisherfield
pasbury 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Lowish hills outlying mountain areas often give wonderful views - a good example being Litle Mell Fell above Ullswater.
 MJ 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Waking up at the crack of dawn.
 Mal Grey 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:
I can imagine that is stunning. I was going to say Ben More Coigach, for similar reasons.
 Joak 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers: Impossible to pin one down, almost all the views from the summits of most hills in the Central, West and North West Highlands (I confess to being a wee bit biased!) can be top drawer so I'll just pick the most recent, the view from Beinn Alligin yesterday. Liathach, Beinn Eighe, Slioch and the fisherfield mountains on one side, with Loch Torridon, Skye and endless sea views on the other. Breath taking!!
Removed User 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Try the view from Beinn a Chrulaiste, opposite the Buachaille. Aside from a varied and stunning panarama, you get the classic 'photographer's' view down Glencoe to the Three Sisters.

This thread came up a couple of years ago, and I remember Sutty saying the view from Cat Bells was hard to beat if you got optimal light conditions. I've been up there since and I have to agree.
 peppermill 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: Across to the old distillery from Dumbarton Rock
 BALD EAGLE 10 Jun 2013
 victorclimber 10 Jun 2013
In reply to anywhere in Yorkshire
 J Brown 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Yes, Crowberry Tower is certainly one of mine. The view from An Teallach, Ben Nevis, and the beach at Bostadh on Lewis are also favourites.

Also, a little hill called Dumyat in the Ochils. Not strictly anywhere near being in the same league as others listed here - but it was the first hill I ever stood on, the first hill I ran up, and the first hill race I did - so its very special to me.
 Ian Bentley 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers: Personally I love the view from the top of Great Gable. You can see the whole Scafell massif, Wastw*ter and pretty much any high peak in the lakes, and right to the sea. On a clear day it's awesome!

Was going to propose to the Mrs up there, went there on our honeymoon, by which time it was a bit late... timing never was my strong point!
 graeme jackson 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Ian Bentley:
i love the view north from Lingmell. only a short detour on the ascent to scafell pike but it has much better views. I had a sunny day there a while back with simpsons clouds and got a perfect view up borrowdale, past skiddaw and up into dumfriess and galloway. - and you can see gable too
 london_huddy 10 Jun 2013
 Trangia 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

The Snowden horseshoe from Ogwen
 Offwidth 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers: Top of Stac Pollaidh looking north over the Inverpoly nature reserve early morning or late evening. It's like a film CGI scene.
OP Trevers 10 Jun 2013
In reply to victorclimber:
> In reply to anywhere in Yorkshire

I noticed the other day that there isn't a 'Welcome to Yorkshire' sign on the M1. Then it occurred to me that it wasn't necessary since you can tell by the freshness of the air, the blue or the sky and the green of the grass.
In reply to Trevers:
> (In reply to victorclimber)
> [...]
>
> I noticed the other day that there isn't a 'Welcome to Yorkshire' sign on the M1. Then it occurred to me that it wasn't necessary since you can tell by the freshness of the air, the blue or the sky and the green of the grass.

Yes, that and the imaginative branding. Yorkshire Water, Yorkshire Bitter, Yorkshire Butter, Yorkshire Broadband, Yorkshire Chorizo, Yorkshire Crisps (Yorkshire Henderson's Sauce flavour), Yorkshire Chocolate, Yorkshire Flowerpots, Yorkshire Tea...

Gawyllie 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers: Sgurr na stri gets my vote, An teallach is a fantastic view point too. Ben nevis obviously being so high offers staggering views on a clear day
 Wesley Orvis 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Looking north from any of the summits along the Liathach ridge on a day like Saturday, best day ever and one i won't forget in a long time
 Wesley Orvis 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Joak:

Was on Ben Alligin too yesterday would agree the most amazing secenary i have ever seen, saw the most amazing sunset over towards Skye every night from Shieldaig campsite, it's a very special place.
 Ramblin dave 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
The corbett to the north of Beinn Eighe has a fairly amazing view, too - the same panorama of Wester Ross that you get from Beinn Eighe plus the northern side of Beinn Eighe itself.
In reply to Trevers:
> (In reply to victorclimber)
> [...]
>
> I noticed the other day that there isn't a 'Welcome to Yorkshire' sign on the M1.

It's too late for a warning sign that far into England.

Joak 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis: Aye a very special place indeed. Fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time on one of those rare summer weekends that stay with you forever,(despite my climbing partner being unavailable due to family commitments), Liathach on Saturday, Beinn Alligin on Sunday. I stayed in the wee campsite in Gairloch, could count the midge bites on the fingers of one hand!!
 birdie num num 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:
Gable from Lingmell
Clauso 11 Jun 2013
In reply to birdie num num:

Mrs Num Num from under anaesthetic.
 teflonpete 14 Jun 2013
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Trevers)
>
> Waking up at the crack of dawn.

My girlfriend is called Dawn, and I have to agree with you. :0)
 Jem Cowen 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:
Impossible Q - too many to choose from & they all change from day to day. Looking N into the wilds from Liathach was memorable but I'm particularly fond of the wonderful panorama from a little hill (Pared y Cefn hir - next to the Cregennen Lakes) on the N slopes of Cadair Idris, which is where I introduced my daughter to hillwalking.
 skog 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

I can't pick one, really.

But, to offer a different sort of landscape from the ones above, I can't think of any better than the view to Luskentyre and the Harris hills, from near Horgabost.
Douglas Griffin 14 Jun 2013
In reply to skog:

> I can't pick one, really.

Yup, impossible.

Anyway, it all depends on the weather.
 Al Evans 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: I used to love the view from Morecambe at sunset, watching the sun go down across the bay outlining the Lakes southern peaks in all their glory.
 Hat Dude 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

The view into the Cuillin from Elgol is stunning(when you can see it!)
 Joak 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:
> (In reply to skog)
>
> [...]
>
> Yup, impossible.
>
> Anyway, it all depends on the weather.

Aye too true, that mesmerising virtual life changing view one day can be reduced to a steamed up shower cubicle type view the next!
 Toccata 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Rois-Bheinn, Ladhar Bheinn or Beinn Sgulaird all take some beating. Stob Coire a Chearcaill would get a prize if you could block out Fort William.

At lower level, the walk into Glen Affric takes some beating. However I have a soft spot for the view from the Whangie which on a clear day juxtaposes lowland and highland, loch and sea, wild and city and gets my vote.
 Chay 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers: The roaring fire and pint of bitter inside the Vaynol arms after a big day in the pass?
 BnB 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Chay: A few of my favourites have been listed already, some of them several times:

The Cuillin, be it from Elgol or Sgurr na Stri seem to head the list. If we're being really pernickety here I'd express a strong liking for the similar view from Captain Maryon's Monument. The extra proximity adds some vertical drama. But I think we can all agree this is an out and out contender.

Someone mentioned being captivated by the view north from Liathach. And I remember feeling much the same the first time I beheld that wilderness.

Another voted for Skiddaw Little Man, Wainwright's favourite if I'm not mistaken. I've got to agree this is the probably the best view of Lakeland's crowded skyline.

However, with the exception of Elgol, these are all views from summits. And, for me at least, mountains are seen at their best from below, so let me offer my two favourites, which rely as much on the gentle beauty of the foreground as they do on the soaring peaks in the distance.

In England, it is the view from Holling House Haw in the Duddon Valley to Bowfell and the Scafells. It is a scene at once quintessentially England in the multifarious glowing greens of the valley yet echoes the Alps in the proud rise of the massif behind.

But my favourite is the view from Duisdale on the southern peninsular of Skye. From a vantage point only metres above sea level the eye feasts on the rich browns, yellows and greens of the salt marsh to the picture perfect Ornsay lighthouse before skimming the blue and black of the 4 mile wide Sound of Sleat into the gaping void of Loch Hourn as far as Barrisdale a few miles inland. From left to right a mighty mountain wall, dominated by Beinn Sgritheall and Ladhair Bheinn, rears improbably upwards, softened by the expanse of water before it, and beckoning the viewer ever upward.

Not for one moment is this view constant. At least on a typical Skye day. The Atlantic weather systems stream constantly up the Sound, so that one minute the mountains stand boldly upright, stark and forbidding, and in the next they are hidden in the mist. Sometimes they are no more than a silvery silhouette, often their tops are wreathed in cloud, or dressed in rose crystal at sunset. But I have never looked at that view in any of its moods with anything other than wonder and joy.

Hat Dude 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Looking south from McLeod's Tables towards the Cuillin is a less well known brilliant view
Jim C 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:
> (In reply to Trevers)
>
> My vote goes to a tiny (203m high) hill in the NW highlands: Meall an Fheadain near Achiltibuie (also know as the Polbain Mast Hill). From the top you can see a full sweep of the hills of the north west from Foinaven to the Skye Cuillin, including Quinag, Suilven, Stac Pollaidh, Ben More Coigach, An Teallach, the Fisherfields and the Torridon Hills. And the Summer Isles just off the coast and Harris and Lewis out to the west.

I went there Mark,

But it was low cloud, bummer.
Up until your post I had no idea that I had possibly missed out on the best view in the UK .
Jim C 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Joak:
> (In reply to Wesley Orvis)
. I stayed in the wee campsite in Gairloch, could count the midge bites on the fingers of one hand!!

When I was there I was lucky to get away with all my fingers intact
 Billhook 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Actually the best view in my opinion is the one from our house. Robin Hood's Bay, the cliffs and hills. I don';t have to travel either.
Jim C 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:
Do you do B&B
 Billhook 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Jim C:
No, sorry. But there';s plenty do here and quite a few have better views!!
 Deviant 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Douglas Griffin) I used to love the view from Morecambe at sunset, watching the sun go down across the bay outlining the Lakes southern peaks in all their glory.

You don't love it anymore ?

The same view from the interior of the Midland Hotel Bar is equally stunning, as is the interior decor of the bar itself !

Another vote for 'looking' into the Cuillins from Elgol.

Removed User 15 Jun 2013
In reply to steelbru:
> (In reply to Trevers)
> Looking west from the summit of A' Mhaighdean in Fisherfield

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/963792_662795027070782_593105...
Removed User 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User:

I should say that the photo is Steve Fallon's by the way.

The best view? Hmmm, depends on the weather. I'll never forget watching the sunset from near the top of Quinag on a winter's evening, the lighting was just perfect.

Keep travelling in the hills at all times of the year and all times of the day and see a lot of beautiful things.
Jim C 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:
> (In reply to Jim C)
> No, sorry. But there';s plenty do here and quite a few have better views!!

But Dave , the thread is the best view in the UK, you can't then say others have better views than yours.
Jim C 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed User)
>
> I should say that the photo is Steve Fallon's by the way.
>
> The best view? Hmmm, depends on the weather. I'll never forget watching the sunset from near the top of Quinag on a winter's evening, the lighting was just perfect.
>
> Try also the view from the Corbett opposite, and looking across the road to Quinag
http://some-landscapes.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/at-loch-of-green-corrie.html
 ben b 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> The Snowden horseshoe from Ogwen

eh? You'd need a really long pointy mirror on a stick to see the Horseshoe from Ogwen (either that or a submassive black hole by Dinas Cromlech).

b
 aln 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to Dave Perry)
>
> Great view. It's relative. https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1008626_539115649459...

It isn't. That's a photo of some people. You know the difference.
 Trangia 16 Jun 2013
In reply to ben b:

It's taken 6 days and over 2000 views before that was spotted. I was merely curious to see how many people actually read a lot of posts on this forum, which seems to be more about blowing their own trumpets! 10/10 to you.
 Glyno 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

a few Lake District views spring to mind:

Looking north-west over Buttermere and Crummock Water from the summit of Fleetwith Pike.
Looking straight down Borrowdale to Keswick from the summit of Great End, or vice versa looking from the northern end of Dewentw*ter.
There's also an area near Brandreth where you can look in a north-westerly direction down both Ennerdale and Buttermere valleys seperated by the High Stile Ridge.

too many to mention really.
 ben b 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Trangia: <Clouseau voice> Ah, the old Deliberate Mistake ploy eh? </Clouseau voice>

I suspect most people thought you meant Capel Curig but were too polite to mention it.

But I'll take the 10/10 though - some years since I had one of those.

cheers

b

Sam_in_Leeds 16 Jun 2013
In reply to victorclimber:
> In reply to anywhere in Yorkshire

View from Cow and Calf for me

Not necessarily "spectacular" but it's the one I've seen 20000+ times (It being 20 minutes from my house) but one I never get bored of.
 Al Evans 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Deviant:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> You don't love it anymore ?
>
> The same view from the interior of the Midland Hotel Bar is equally stunning, as is the interior decor of the bar itself !

Well I guess I still do, I just haven't seen it for about 30 years, The Midland, I'm amazed that Art Deco monument is still standing?
 Billhook 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:

As at least one other poster has said, it's subjective.

On my first visit to London in over 20 years my sister took us up some tall building. The view with all the modern, and not so modern buildings over and around the thames was stunning to me, who keeps well away from cities normally.
 Deviant 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Deviant)
> [...]
>
> I'm amazed that Art Deco monument is still standing?

The Midland Hotel has been beautifully restored; a case of nice hotel, shame about the town !

Jon Wickham 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Deviant: Would definitely second the view from Morecambe across the bay towards the lakes, or in fact from above Lancaster looking in the same direction. On a clear evening you can see Morecambe Bay, South Lakes, Howgills, Yorkshire Three Peaks, Forest of Bowland, the Fylde and Blackpool Tower, Snowdonia, and the Isle of Man, all with a fantastic sunset over the bay.
 mockerkin 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Trevers:
> What is the most amazing view you've had in the UK.

>> Looking in the mirror.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...