UKC

Round of Glen Coe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbhead 10 Jun 2013
Hi all

Just had one of the best days out in Scotland ever!

I completed a round of Glen Coe yesterday, starting at the Claigach Inn, up towards the Pap of Glen Coe, across the Aonach Eagach ridge and on to the devils staircase. Down to and passed Lagangarbh Hut, skirting round the Buachaille. Up Curved Ridge and over to the far end of the Buachaille, dropping southwards into Glen Etive. Then up along the Lairig Eilde path, turn left for a scrambly ascend of Stob Coire Sgreamhach via Sron na Lairig. High point of the day at Bidean nam Bian, then back down to the pub via Stob Coire Nam Beith.

Given the amazing quality and aspects of this route, I was wondering how many other people have done something similar?

Cheers
 Gawyllie 10 Jun 2013
In reply to climbhead: well done! i drove through the Glen yesterday and it looking like you may have had an inversion on the buachaille and totally clear skyes to the west
In reply to climbhead: Nice one. You need to add the wee Buachaille too for the full experience... but it might've been a bit warm yesterday
In reply to climbhead:

"Interests Outside Climbing
.... hill running"

Well, who'd've guessed that?!

Good effort though. Jealous.

jcm
In reply to climbhead: did a few variations on a long round in the coe/etive - see http://www.longdistancechallenges.blogspot.co.uk/p/scotland.html

scroll down the page a bit and you'll find the 3 variants.
 Banned User 77 10 Jun 2013
In reply to climbhead: Petestack has done when I think.. and john fleetwood. never done it.

Have a look at the tranter, that looks a clasic loop
Jamming Dodger 10 Jun 2013
In reply to climbhead: How far was all that?
OP climbhead 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamming Dodger:

My GPS watch ran out of juice after 8.5 hours, so need to sit down and mapsource the route to add on the remainder. My estimated is about 42-45k, 3,500-4,000m ascent/descent. Will check tonight and confirm.

Took me 11 hours and 10 minutes to complete. Very hot at times, but managed to cool down at various river crossings!
Jamming Dodger 10 Jun 2013
In reply to climbhead: Thats further than i've ever run. (Not further than my aspirations for fell running go though )
Well done to you. Lovely part of the UK as well.
 J Brown 10 Jun 2013
In reply to climbhead:

That sounds amazing - congratulations!

Some info here on Petestack's Glen Coe Round mentioned above:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=532833&v=1#x7155422
OP climbhead 10 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Yes, just looked at the Tranter - that looks good. Was thinking about doing a round of the Mamores next, so who knows!
OP climbhead 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Full moon addict:

Thanks for that. The links for the Clachaig Challenge on that page don't seem to work unfortunately...!
 Banned User 77 10 Jun 2013
In reply to climbhead: I've done all the grey corries and should have added on the mamores.. once up the climbs aren't too long.. its just such a logical horseshoe.

YDT has just done it, if you look on the FRA form, long distance challenges, you'll see his report. The record is about 12 hours.. so longer than a glencoe round.. but not overly so.
OP climbhead 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Yes, perhaps I should add that for next time... was really knackered at that point though. There seems to be no easy direct descent of Stob na Broige - I headed SW but it's all loose, steep and pathless.

Does any one know of a better way down? I could have reversed and dropped into Lairig Gartain, but I think that would add about 3km?
 Dave Hewitt 10 Jun 2013
In reply to climbhead:

Good effort.

> There seems to be no easy direct descent of Stob na Broige - I headed SW but it's all loose, steep and pathless. Does any one know of a better way down?

I've gone round the two Buachailles as a clockwise walk from Altnafeadh and connected them by heading down the WSW ridge of Stob na Broige to about 650m, then cutting straight down north towards the Lairig Gartain. Initially took a poor line with slabs and suchlike, but after a bit of fiddling about I cut sideways right, using a deer track across scree and a gully, and found a straightforward way down, mainly on grass - hard to see from above, though.
In reply to climbhead: apologies for the non working links. I'll put that right. The tranter is much longer than a basic glencoe round.
In reply to climbhead: I've gone pretty much directly between the two but its pretty brutal!
 dmhigg 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Full moon addict: I've done a mini trip starting at the bend in the road at the W. end of the glen, with the Corbett west of Sgurr na h'Ulaidh as the first hill, and Beinn Fhada as the last. I was meant to return via the A.E. but I had to pick the kids up from school and ran out of time. The territory down the West end is very rough, and you get a definite feel of running against the grain: lovely area to be in.
In reply to climbhead: links should work now
 petestack 15 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown:
> Some info here on Petestack's Glen Coe Round mentioned above:
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=532833&v=1#x7155422

Repeated yesterday by Dan and Jon Gay in 10:02:41, but it'll go a lot quicker yet...

http://www.shr.uk.com/LongDistanceRecords.aspx?LongDistanceRecordID=17

OP climbhead 21 Jun 2013
In reply to Full moon addict:

great to read your reports - inspires me to get out more !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...