UKC

Ecrins - Where to go if the weather craps out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkey1 10 Jun 2013
Hi All,

Looking at the forecast for this year's trip reminds me of looking at one for Wales. We're staying in Aleifroide for a week from the 15th so thought I'd consult the trusty forum.

Ignoring the relentless inner voice of optimism telling me the rubbish forecast will be wrong, can anyone help out with any ideas of alternative areas within say 1-2 hours drive?

We're looking for single/multi pitch sport, upto 6a ish, any rock type, easy to find, single day routes with short walk ins. I know there are loads of possibilities, so I'm thinking something with an available local guidebook would be sensible.

Thanks everyone in advance,

Dave
 Pero 10 Jun 2013
In reply to monkey1: The best multi-pitch crags with climbs in the range 5-6a are Fournel and Ponteuil, both just down the valley. They are both in "Escalade en Brianconnais".
 philipivan 10 Jun 2013
In reply to monkey1:

Of course you could head even south towards Verdon or nice/antibes/monaco. I believe there is lots of climbing there. If you have a car and are reasonably mobile I'm sure you would find lots to do!
 JamButty 10 Jun 2013
In reply to monkey1: yep, down the valley towards L'Argentiere are lots of options, assuming the poor forecast is more mountain focussed. If you want to really escape its only 90 mins to Gap area and there your in touching distance of Orpierre, Ceuese etc

coldfell 10 Jun 2013
In reply to monkey1: Orpierre is fantastic we escaped from cold rain in Ailefroide to a mediteranean climate and lots of crags all within walking distance of the campsite - guidebook available at campsite, all grades - bliss.
 Martin Haworth 10 Jun 2013
In reply to monkey1: I am in Ailefroide now, and everything is fine. If you get poor weather try Ponteil, Orpierre, Sisteron, Casse de Prelles.
 1234None 10 Jun 2013
In reply to monkey1:

I liked Mont Dauphin - some stuff there that never gets wet. Also, although only a short drive from Ailefroide it's lower down the valley so usually avoids the worst of the weather....
OP monkey1 11 Jun 2013
In reply to monkey1:
Thanks everyone for all your help - all sounds just the ticket.

best regards

Dave
 Nick_Scots 11 Jun 2013
In reply to 1234None: Mont Dauphin is good, lots of overhanging stuff and nice Marmottes !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...