UKC

A Multiplicity of Mountain Lists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Clauso 10 Jun 2013
It is apparent to me that, considering the existing mountain lists, there appears to be a gap where another list should sit.

As is well-known, some of us aspire to bag Munros, Marilyns, Corbetts, Hewitts, Wainwrights and Nuttalls. How about hills that don't fit any of the criteria of the existing lists?

What we need, ladies and gentlemen, is a new list of F@ckalls; a list to cover hills that have been hitherto neglected by baggers of any hue.

I need your nominations for hills suitable for consideration as F@ckalls. For example; Seat is situated 561m above Buttermere - between High Crag and Haystacks - yet, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't appear to be considered fit for inclusion in any of the popular lists?
 Tom Last 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso:

Latrigg?
 Mark Bull 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso:

Seat is a Dewey and a Birkett (arguably not popular lists).
Latrigg is a Wainwright (and a Birkett).

Pero 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso: What you want is to create the list of all hills that are not on any list. Betrand Russell may have had something to say about that!
Clauso 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Pero:

Well, I've never heard of Bertrand Russell - are you absolutely sure that you don't mean Russell Brand? - so I don't care what he'd have to say about me. As far as I'm aware he's done sod all on grit and, if he ever showed his face in my local, I'd quite happily chin him.
 humptydumpty 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Pero:

very good
 Billhook 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso:

Yes but Seat is a hill of sorts and at 561m its higher than many. Its higher than anywhere in The North Yorkshire Moors!!

What about a only including tiny hills, such as the ones in sussex, surrey, Norfolk, the yorkshire wolds and Essex for example?

However I'll nominate Freeborough hill in't North Yorkshire Moors & at 250m it stands alone amongst the surrounding moors.

In reply to Clauso:
> It is apparent to me that, considering the existing mountain lists, there appears to be a gap where another list should sit.
>
> As is well-known, some of us aspire to bag Munros, Marilyns, Corbetts, Hewitts, Wainwrights and Nuttalls. How about hills that don't fit any of the criteria of the existing lists?
>
> What we need, ladies and gentlemen, is a new list of F@ckalls; a list to cover hills that have been hitherto neglected by baggers of any hue.
>
> I need your nominations for hills suitable for consideration as F@ckalls. For example; Seat is situated 561m above Buttermere - between High Crag and Haystacks - yet, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't appear to be considered fit for inclusion in any of the popular lists?

As I am a paltry % through the current hill lists containing 2324 in England and Wales if anyone decides to open this up to more, I am likely to kill them.

Mark Bull 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:

That'll be the Tumps you are after then: http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/Tumps.php?ct=EWM
 Mike Peacock 11 Jun 2013
 Mark Bull 11 Jun 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
> (In reply to Darren Jackson)
> [...]
>
> As I am a paltry % through the current hill lists containing 2324 in England and Wales if anyone decides to open this up to more, I am likely to kill them.

There are around 16,000 Tumps. Guilty parties are named on the link above if you want to start an assassination spree!
In reply to Mark Bull:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
> [...]
>
> There are around 16,000 Tumps. Guilty parties are named on the link above if you want to start an assassination spree!

I'm already a hill-bagging user and generally use the 'main' hills as a measure.

I'd forgotten about the Tumps, blast.

I think, therefore, suicide is probably a better option.

In reply to Clauso:

Just checked.

76 (0.5%) of 16678 Tumps (all) completed.

Bollocks.
Clauso 11 Jun 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

F@ckalls trump Trumps, in my book... And I'll fight any f@cker who disagrees, including Bernard Russell.
 Pero 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso: Bertrand Russell wouldn't fight back, as he was a conscientious objector!
Clauso 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Pero:

Bertrand Russell objected to peak bagging?... I'm liking the sound of this bloke less and less. It'll be a pleasure to thump him.
 Pero 11 Jun 2013
... I'd never heard of Tumps, but it seems that, rather than set theory, it is the fractal nature of the British landscape that will eventually defeat you!
almost sane 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso:
You need another type of lists, rather than this obsessing about tops.

How about the straight-ups. The longest horizontal distance you can walk in a straight line whilst always ascending.

Or you could attempt the 500's. walks done where you never leave the 500m contour. And after you have done them all clockwise, go back and do them anti-clockwise. Start off with the 1,000s as practice: there are fewer of them.

You could walk the signs of the zodiac. Choose a scale, then superimpose a star chart on a map of the UK, with one star always hitting the place of your birth / conception / last place someone made you smile. Plot each star onto an OS map. Walk to all the stars.
abseil 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso:

How about all the lowest mountains [1] in the UK, [2] in the world?
almost sane 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso:
If you know your Gaelic and Welsh, you could climb all the rude mountains - ones whose original name was considered too rude to translate properly onto English Language maps.

Then you could go on to the other anatomical mountains. Once you have climbed all the Paps and Bods, you can go overseas. Climb the Andes. Or even the Pyrenees.
Clauso 15 Jun 2013
In reply to almost sane:

Next time that I find myself in conversation with an obsessive Munroist, I'm considering saying "Well, I'm 57% through my Munros but I've only got 32 Gemmills remaining..." and then giving them an enigmatic wink before wandering off.
PopShot 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso: The Marylins is a very interesting list which includes many hills previously ignored by list-makers.
dylan_the_fox 15 Jun 2013
One day I'm going to compile a list of all the hills and mountains I've been up and call it "my list". Or something.

Alternatively, I might go out and walk up a hill. Especially if it's nice weather that day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...