UKC

Permadry routes in the Mournes or Fair Head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeteH 11 Jun 2013
Northern Irish climbers, help me out! With the demise of the fairheadclimbers website there doesn't to be a better place to ask this.. Can anyone suggest any routes up to E4 or general areas that are likely to stay a bit dryer in showery weather, as I expect to encounter later this week? I've got Buzzard's Roost as one option, although I'm not sure how dry the sub-E6 routes stay or how much traffic any of it gets.

All info appreciated!

Pete.
 snoop6060 11 Jun 2013
In reply to PeteH:

I'm not local, but fairhead has various aspects and will survice the odd shower, but nothing heavy as the whole place is fairly exposed. I think it largely depends on the wind.

Areas like the prow can be shielded from the showers and generally dries pretty quickly. Though the routes are a bit shorter there and generally are E1/2. With a couple of good E3s like GBH.

There are routes on the main crag like Promised land (E4) that are mostly under a huge roof where the harder climbing is, so that could stay ok (Depending on the wind direction). Though the belay on the headwall would be a bit grim in the wet.

Generally we got plenty done in showery weather, but when they turned heavy, everying got wet. Though it drys nice and fast on the the face routes.

It would be pretty lonely on one of the big routes if the weather did turn on you though!
OP PeteH 11 Jun 2013
In reply to snoop6060:

Cheers for that. Yep I've climbed at Fair Head before and guessed that was about right.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...