UKC

Expedition foods.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OwenM 11 Jun 2013
Anyone used these http://www.expeditionfoods.com/expedition-foods.html is it any good?
Last time I tried freeze dry food there was more nutrition in the packet than the contents, surely things have improved?
 Simon Caldwell 11 Jun 2013
In reply to OwenM:
Yes, they're pricey but tasty, and more calories than most dried meals if you go for the 800 calorie options. The chicken tikka is my favourite.
 d_b 11 Jun 2013
In reply to OwenM:

As these things go they are pretty good, but pricy. I tend to take them when I'm either seriously skimping on weight (mug rather than pan), or in winter.

For normal backpacking I go for cheaper options.
 Cobbler 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Look good but they don't seem to have any stock!
 JayPee630 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Think they've gone bust.
Henrycuillin 11 Jun 2013
In reply to OwenM: Try Mountain House, they are ok.
 Arcticboy 11 Jun 2013
In reply to OwenM:

Try http://www.bewellexpeditionfoods.com/home.php

Used them a couple of times on multi-day, cold weather trips, tasty and filling!
OP OwenM 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Arcticboy: Thanks, I'll try a couple.
OP OwenM 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Tom Briggs: Again thanks I'll be trying some out.
 lordyosch 08 Jul 2013
I use expedition food for all my backpacking trips in Europe. I've found the food is really tasty, very calorific and all the ingredients are recognisable as food!

They stock their own brand stuff which is very good but also 'real turmat' is a Norwegian brand who are also excellent, but more expensive. -their wolf fish casserole is really good!
 sbc_10 08 Jul 2013
In reply to Arcticboy:

Yes the Bewell food is good, (Shepherds Pie particularly), the packaging is nifty as well as the packet pulls out and forms a stable structure to balance on the ground or in the tent.
Be careful of the ration sizes, some meals will have a variety of energy content. After a long day on an ice-cap a fat knacker like me needs a good 700+ calories in the bag.
To get the bits out of the corners a long handled spoon will become an object of great envy within basecamp.
 jpm102 08 Jul 2013
In reply to OwenM:

Mountain house are easily the tastiest/least foul of all of the brands i have tried.
 Simon Caldwell 08 Jul 2013
In reply to jpm102:
So we can know what that means - what other brands have you tried?
 AlH 09 Jul 2013
In reply to jpm102: I guess you haven't tried the Real Turmat stuff. M House is pretty good but the Norwegian stuff is excellent. Exped foods stuff is 3rd on that list. Cotswolds stock 'Adventure Food' which works the same way which I haven't tried yet but seems reasonably priced.
 GarethSL 09 Jul 2013
In reply to OwenM: Another shout for the Real Turmat. Good food, even the strange sounding meals are pretty tasty. Cant vouch for their breakfasts tho as we only use the dinners. Normally eat two a day, but to maintain that for an extended period is expensive.

Don't half play with your constitution tho..
 Simon Caldwell 09 Jul 2013
In reply to GrendeI:
Yikes, just looked up Real Turmat - almost restaurant prices!
 GarethSL 09 Jul 2013
In reply to Toreador: yep, even at discount for us they come in at about £7 per meal. Just ordered 170 of them today so someone is getting a nice bill
Paul F 09 Jul 2013
In reply to GrendeI:

I use the Real Turmat ones too for canoeing expeditions, (or Bla Band)

For breakfasts i just pour instant porridge pots into pour & store bags, from the supermarket, and use those.

http://www.polylina.co.uk/pour&store.html
OP OwenM 09 Jul 2013
In reply to OwenM: Thanks for the input, I've been trying some of the expedition foods and Bewell meals on a few short trips around Scotland. So far the 700 calorie pack or a 450 calorie main meal and a dessert work well for the evenings. Breakfast instant porridge with dried fruit is quite nice. I'll be trying some of the other brands people have recommended over the rest of this summer. The idea is to go for a long trip to arctic Sweden next year. It's been a while since I've been on a long trip and the dried food available today really does seem to have improved.
 colinkeb 09 Jul 2013
In reply to OwenM: I never use anything else

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...