/ Black Diamond Twilight Bivy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PMG on 11 Jun 2013
I am looking for a lightweight bivy for occasional alpine use. It does not have to be very durable but light weight must not defeat its purpose: keeping sleeping bag dry (rain, condensation).

Does anybody here have experience with BD Twilight (weight 300 g)?
joe.91 - on 11 Jun 2013
In reply to PMG: I too am interested in this, however another option i the ME Ion bivi. Higher hh, cheaper and easier to get in the UK.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/tents_+_bivis/bivis/ion_bivi---375/
Mike Nolan - on 11 Jun 2013
In reply to PMG: I bought one off Needlesports which was fairly simple. I think I managed to get it in about a week as they were about to put an order in with BD.

I've not used it outside yet, but reviews seem good and I'm amazed at how light and small it is. Taking it to Cham with me in 3 weeks, so hopefully it will be as good as it sounds!
PMG on 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan: I will be happy to know your opinion when you are back. I can wait with the purchase for a month.
Mike Nolan - on 12 Jun 2013
In reply to PMG: Sure, I'll send you an email once I've used it a couple of times.
joe.91 - on 12 Jun 2013
In reply to PMG: I too would be interested as well!
PMG on 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan: Thanks.
Ron Walker - on 12 Jun 2013
In reply to PMG:
> I am looking for a lightweight bivy for occasional alpine use. It does not have to be very durable but light weight must not defeat its purpose: keeping sleeping bag dry (rain, condensation).
>
> Does anybody here have experience with BD Twilight (weight 300 g)?

My partner bought one in Chamonix last year as it was lighter than her unbranded pertex bivvy bag.

We used it a few times in the Valle Blanche, Envers des Aiguilles along with a lightweight Minimus down bag and also on it's own sitting on a granite ledge on a mixed route.

Weather conditions were perfect with no precipitation and although temps dropped to zero or slightly below it worked OK.

However the BD Twilight did suffer from more condensation than my Alpkit bivvy bag and my lighter but fragile ME Ion bivvy, both of which are cheaper. Despite it being the cheapest the Alpkit Hunka bag breathes the best and is only slightly heavier.

For it's weight the BD bag is more durable than it looks but from our experience it isn't as breathable as others.

In Scotland she actually found it warmer to sleep in the sleeping bag outside the bivvy bag both in a tent and in well frozen snowholes.

I would think that in wet humid condition it's breathability could be an issue in the UK though less so in the Alps.

Hope this helps...

Sitting on the BD Twilight see https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=275765459190675&set=a.275755015858386.46290.124310161002...

Bivvy Envers des Aiguilles see https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=283306138436607&set=a.275755015858386.46290.124310161002...

Cheers Ron
PMG on 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:

> Hope this helps...

No doubt. First-hand opinions about this product are hard to come by. Thanks. PMG

ads.ukclimbing.com
Harry McGhie - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to joe.91:
I had an Ion bivi and found the design frustrating. the window in the front will not breath at all, your breath condensates quickly and then drips on your face. the large flap design means you ether have to have the hood all the way off exposing a lot of the body or you must cover your face and thus getting the window problem. i now use the rab alpine survival bivi, which i believe has been revamped with a newer version this year. it wont last forever but it is very light, very small, quite cheap and the most breathable i have used so far. I have used mine a lot since getting it last year and it is holding up well despite being so light.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.