UKC

Women & bumbags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maria85 12 Jun 2013
Any girls out there have much experience of running with a bum bag? I need to replace my small running pack as it rubs on my neck. I'm thinking a bum bag could be a good solution but I'm not sure how well they work on a female figure? Guys seem to wear them more on their hips, I figure on a girl though this will ride up to your waist when running. Wearing it around the narrowest point of your waist seems pretty uncomfortable and is quite high up (on me).

Alternatively, any suggestions for small fitting packs (10 litres max) with wide shoulder straps?
 Alyson 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85: I have an OMM bumbag but you're quite right - it feels odd to run with for the reasons you give. I have to wear it quite tight round my waist or it bounces all over the place so it's not very comfortable.

I don't have a recommendation for a lightweight running pack as mine rubs my neck too!
 Tall Clare 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:

I'm not a runner but anecdotally from two friends: one runs with a small bumbag round her waist to carry essential medical equipment, and another uses an Osprey Talon 11 pack because it can be fitted closely so doesn't move round much. The latter might be bigger than you need - Camelbak do some very low volume 'backpack' bladder-packs that might work in a similar way.
 tony 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:

My partner runs with a bum bag - one of the OMM ones. She's not a great fan, but from her perspective, it's better than the alternative of a small backpack. It did take a while to get used to it, and she does have to have it quite tight to avoid the bouncing. One of the good features of the OMM bum bags is that they have extended 'wings' on the belt part which help with padding.
 Oceanic 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:

My girlfriend has borrowed my Peter Bland bumbag on occasion and really dislikes running with it. She says it doesn't work for her. I guess maybe it depends on your body shape (she is more female than boyish).

I find that bumbags suit me when I'm running at a steady pace, but anything faster than 8 min miles and they really get on my nerves. I was looking longingly at one of those race vest things in Decathlon last night.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/extend-0-12-rail-trail-backpack-black-id_8208196...
In reply to Oceanic: completely off topic but that is not even remotely the one of those to lust after
http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Running-Backpacks-Vests-Hydration-...

Run_Ross_Run 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:
> Any girls out there have much experience of running with a bum bag? I need to replace my small running pack as it rubs on my neck.
Try getting some glide. It reduces/stops rubbing during exercise.
 Carolyn 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:

I defintely prefer a rucsac to a bum bag for all those reasons... tend to either use a rather old Lowe Alpine one, or an OMM one if I need a bigger sac (but that's 20l, so way more than you're looking at). I'd say the Lowe one is probably fairly similar to some of the Camelback ones, it just predates them.....

Why wide shoulder straps? My experience is that narrow, contoured shoulder straps are the best bet.

Ah, and I do tend to run with a t-shirt with a high collar, which no doubt minimises rubbing! Being based in the Lakes and not moving that fast, overheating is rarely a problem.
 Carolyn 12 Jun 2013
In reply to some of the above:

And I really cannot imagine the race vest thingies being remotely suited to the female figure! Chest packs for the OMM sac are bad enough....
Bob kate bob 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Carolyn: I had a look and I did think that ones that had water bottles in the front really were not designed for women.
 balmybaldwin 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:

Have a look at cycling back packs, these will probably meet your needs.

I'm guessing by wide straps you mean straps with a wide distance between them? If so, look specificayyly at the osprey cycling back packs
 alicia 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:

Bum bags never work for me for the same reason you say. Try this for a small-fitting pack that never rubs:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nathan-Hydration-2011-Intensity-Womens/dp/B001IV6D2...
 Tall Clare 12 Jun 2013
In reply to alicia:

Similar to the Camelbaks I was thinking of: http://shop.camelbak.com/octane-xct/d/1047_c_120_cl_438

The Osprey Talon I mentioned looks pretty chunky by comparison: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/multi-use/talon_11
 Carolyn 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:

One thing I found was that are lot of the hydration sacs are quite long in the back and very narrow - for me, a shorter back (and so slightly wider pack if necessary) works better. But I have a very hollow back/big bum (although actually have a long body, and am fairly tall), possibly not such an issue if you're less curvy.
 Aly 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85: I get on better with small sacs rather than bumbags and have found 2 that are brilliant:

- The North Face Enduro 18 is a brilliant ~8L sack (I don't know why it's called an 18) with two bottle holsters within easy reach.

- The Inov-8 Race Elite Extreme 10 is a featherweight 10L sack if you need to carry very slightly more but also works well when nearly empty. Again, two pouches for bottles or food accessible on the hoof, but no zipped waistband pockets. Superb pack.

The North Face one has wider shoulder straps but would be worth trying on first (especially as a female) as it has a novel velcro closing system on the chest rather than the usual strap. Both of these seem to have a slightly longer back length, as I don't get on with many packs (e.g. the OMM ones) as when the shoulder straps are done up, the waist belt feels too high up and I prefer it more on my hips.
hth
 HAJ 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Aly:

Second the NF Enduro. Great pack and much better than a bumbag as can carry accessible food and bottles. The only disadvantage is a sweaty back, but lets face it, that will happen regardless!
 wilkie14c 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:
I dunno why they keep going back to them but they do? Just can't understand them
 wilkie14c 12 Jun 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
Ooops, I read the OP as Women & scumbags...

BTW Mrs blanchie has an osprey 11 that claire mentioned, its a great little bag and I sneak it out of the house myself sometimes to use on hot days and long routes, just to carry some water and bits and bobs, its small enough to pack in my main sack and you dont notice it on. Mrs isn't a runner though so can't help with fit
 ohsmeg 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:
Hi I always run with a Deuter Speedlite 10.
It's brilliant - gives the appearance of being small but packs an amazing amount of stuff if you need to and is so light.Wide straps, very stable, never rubs, can't praise it highly enough.
Got mine from Cotswold, approx £30.

I find bumbags very irritating and uncomfortable for the same reasons as others have highlighted.
crash matti 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85: my girlfriend runs with a camelback octane 8+ backpack, and finds it comfortable to run with no rubbage
 winhill 12 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:

If a bum bag is likely to ride up with wear, would a pair of shorts with a built in bum bag help?

bottle belts are way better than backpacks, IMO, especially off road.

mmm, you need to swing them round though so if it's fixed that's not going to work.
OP maria85 13 Jun 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes I do mean straps with a wide distance between them rather than being wide themselves, should have made that clearer. I have broad shoulders and my current pack is too narrow and rubs on my neck as it bounces slightly. Will take a look at the Osprey ones.
OP maria85 13 Jun 2013
In reply to HAJ & Aly:
Will also take a look at the North Face one then... looks like a shopping trip is in order!
OP maria85 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
It does look like I'm better off shopping for a better fitting bag than getting a bum bag then. My current bag is a cheapie Decathlon one that just fits badly, it's fine on the mountain bike but running I have to have tighten the shoulder straps as tight as they go, which pulls the whole thing too far up my back and means they're too narrow at the top. It's fine wearing a jacket, but I like running with a vest or tshirt in the summer... I overheat!

I'm going to try and borrow a bum bag for a trial run just to make sure, then do some serious trying on.
 control freak 16 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85: Hello, I have never used a heavy bum bag for the same reasons that you are wary of them but I always run with a small (no water) bum bag to carry various medical gear with me. It does sit on my waist (rather than hips) quite snugly but has not caused any discomfort (not used it over 2.5 hours though) as it is light. I have a 14 litre osprey talon for longer mountain runs (and a 22 litre osprey for getting to work etc) and the waist bands on these have to sit around my waist or it shifts around too much but I do not seem have any stomach problems. However, the 14 litre replaced my inov8 back pack (that I replaced because it used to rub my neck so badly) and that used to give me quite bad stomach pains.

Osprey do have a 'short' back version but that might still be too long for you. they do a smaller one than the 14 l that might suit your needs I think.
 control freak 16 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:
> (In reply to Carolyn)
> It does look like I'm better off shopping for a better fitting bag than getting a bum bag then. My current bag is a cheapie Decathlon one that just fits badly, it's fine on the mountain bike but running I have to have tighten the shoulder straps as tight as they go, which pulls the whole thing too far up my back and means they're too narrow at the top. It's fine wearing a jacket, but I like running with a vest or tshirt in the summer... I overheat!
>
> I'm going to try and borrow a bum bag for a trial run just to make sure, then do some serious trying on.

Sorry, just read rest of the thread - had same problem with inov8 but osprey doesn't seem so bad.

Nomics4sale 17 Jun 2013
In reply to maria85:

I do my long runs (not your 3 peaks long, 12 miles or so long) with a bum bag. It's a bit annoying but I'd rather deal with the annoyance than use a backpack covering my back. I use a backpack in winter though.

You're welcome to borrow mine for a week or so to try it out. You'd have to come climbing with me to get if off me though
OP maria85 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Nomics4sale:
Cheers, will message you... climbing is no problem if you stop being so busy

Tried on some packs yesterday but nothing better than what I already have.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...