UKC

Uses for 1m of dynamic rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi All.

I've an offcut of 1m of 10mm of dynamic rope that's brand new and no idea what to do with it.

any ideas of useful things to do with it?

cheers

NC
 Dino Dave 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Northern Climber: Turn it into coasters of place mats? I've seen it done a few time before
In reply to DavidRex: yeah, that's what I was thinking if there wasn't any use in climbing, paddling or caving etc that I could think of.

Have already made a couple of flat non-knotted rugs so a place mat shouldn't be too hard!
 Hairy Pete 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Northern Climber: Monkey's fist? 1m might not be enough.
 climber david 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Northern Climber:
> (In reply to DavidRex) yeah, that's what I was thinking if there wasn't any use in climbing, paddling or caving etc that I could think of.

swim tails? if its brightly coloured?
needvert 13 Jun 2013

Cows tail?
In reply to climber david: a Swim tail could be a solution!

it's not quite long enough for a cows tail (infact its an offcut of a set of caving cowstails!)
 Cameron94 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Northern Climber: Keep it for ab tat so you can leave it rather than a sling.

What is a swim tail? I tried google but failed.
In reply to Cameron94: could do but its a bit of an odd length to carry and i'm not likely to have it with me when i'd need it either.
 Rick Graham 13 Jun 2013
> Hi All.
>
> I've an offcut of 1m of 10mm of dynamic rope that's brand new and no idea what to do with it.
>
> any ideas of useful things to do with it?
>
If its long enough to tie into a loop, it can be used as a back up on fixed abseil points for some of the rusting single krabs and maillons that some folk use without thinking of any element of redundancy.
 trouserburp 13 Jun 2013

Unweave 6 inches of the sheath and flay the kern out a bit and you a have a sexy flail
In reply to Rick Graham: I think thats looking like the best idea at the minute.

keep those suggestions coming though!
 Camm 14 Jun 2013
Other than knot and clipping practice (probably not quite long enough), what about turning it into a loop and using it to clip all your rack to when transporting it into the car etc
 wilkie14c 14 Jun 2013
Dressing gown belt
j james 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Northern Climber: Dog lead
 Dom Whillans 14 Jun 2013
second the dog lead idea... PYB have provided me with a few over the years (i have a mate who gets peeved off at the tat left all over north wales and takes it off crags, he then usually leaves it in the boot of my car).
 LastBoyScout 14 Jun 2013

Playing with the cat - a length of 6mm cord soaked in catnip is one of two ways to get her out from under the spare bed.

The other way is food!
 climber david 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
>
> What is a swim tail? I tried google but failed.

It a short length of rope that goes on the back of a kayak for swimmers to grab on to if your rescuing/assisting them. it reduces the chance of you being pulled over by a clingy swimmer and is a bit easier to hold (IMO) than some grab handles
 Tradical 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Northern Climber: How about a belt to wear in public and at work, yunno, so you can clearly express how cool and rad you are to passersby and co-workers.
 Brass Nipples 14 Jun 2013

Long enough for some bouldering routes on grit...
 Cameron94 14 Jun 2013
In reply to climber david: Ah I knew them as painters or streamers, never known them as swim tails. Good thing about them is they stop your wrist/arm being broken if you're holding them and the boat rolls again whereas with the grab handle the chances are quite high.

Cheers for pointing out the difference in name.
 efrance24234 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Northern Climber: could try some bondage techniques
 Jock 16 Jun 2013
Frayed knot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...