/ Beal 'Program System' ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Ex-Engineer - on 13 Jun 2013
Has anyone used them?

I need a new rope for UK sport, probably 60m, and was thinking about the Program System version of the Beal Stinger (9.4mm) or Booster (9.7mm) as an all-round rope suitable for a mix of onsights, working routes and redpoints up to mid sevens, mainly at Portland/Swanage.

The sales pitch "strengthened weave at the ends of the rope for better wear resistance" sounds superb, but it would be great to have some feedback from anyone who as actually used one.
The Ex-Engineer - on 14 Jun 2013
Rather surprisingly it seems that out of around 80 forums users, not a single person has used one of them.

Hardly a glowing endorsement...
r0x0r.wolfo - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Sounds good, but I haven't used one yet. Don't replace my ropes everyday ;). I'm too interested and will keep tabs on the thread.
The Ex-Engineer - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to r0x0r.wolfo: Well, we are now at over 200 views and still no useful replies...

Even more amazingly for UKC there haven't be any completely off topic digressions!
Max factor - on 15 Jun 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I've just replaced my old pair of beal cobra half ropes with new ones. the 10yr old ropes were beautifully soft and handled brilliantly still, the new ones are a lot stiffer by comparison, which is either new rope syndrome or their unicore technology where the sheath is bonded to the core. in theory more resistant to cutting, however it seems there may be a compromise in handling.

Something to think about with a tigher weave on the sheath.

Fraser on 15 Jun 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Not sure if the Beal Joker 9.1mm Unicore I went halfers on recently falls into this category. But as a redpointers'/ belayers' rope goes, it's pretty impressive and handles superbly. I've not noted anything special about the ends tbh, but the rest of it's great. It's only currently being used for serious redpoint attempts though rather than a working rope.
Fraser on 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Max factor:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer)
>
> ...unicore technology where the sheath is bonded to the core. in theory more resistant to cutting, however it seems there may be a compromise in handling.
>

That was why my partner and I decided to splash the extra cash and get the Unicore. When you watch the Beal video demonstrating its resilience, it's hard to choose anything else. As I mentioned above it handles superbly, so no complaints on that front.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.