UKC

one size fits all harness?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dmor9 14 Jun 2013
Is there such a thing? I was thinking about getting a second harness so I can take non climbing mates out. It dosnt need bells and whistles just be safe for a range of sizes and a gear loop or two. I'm sure I've heard of outdoor centers etc using them?
I know there is one where two sizes cover all but don't really want to splash £100+ on two!!

Cheers
Dave
 nufkin 14 Jun 2013
In reply to dmor9:

Depends how fat you need to go. DMM make one called the Centre harness, or Alpine harness, or something similar, that covers most normal sizes
OP dmor9 14 Jun 2013
In reply to dmor9:thanks just had a quick goolge a dmm do two
The alpine centre 20-38 waist
The brenin 22-60 something!!!

Both come with one gear loop and are in the 40-50 price range! Both seem ideal as a second harness!

Dave
 Cameron94 14 Jun 2013
In reply to dmor9: Dmm centre.
 spenser 14 Jun 2013
In reply to dmor9: The DMM renegade, puma and maverick all have a floating waist belt so have a wide adjustment range for being comfy, I've got one and think it's the mutts nuts.
The Petzl Corax has double buckles which give you a similar adjustment range to a floating waist belt but is slightly heavier.
If it's just to give friends a taster though a centre harness will probably do just fine as they aren't going to be hanging around for ages in it.
 Jenny C 14 Jun 2013
In reply to spenser:
> (In reply to dmor9) The DMM renegade,

Yes a great harness, but still sized S, M, L. So whilst more adjustable than some models certainly not "one size fits all".

Because there is no padding the DMM Centre Alpine that others have suggested will fit everyone - from kids not yet big enough to fit a Small Renegade, to adults wanting a Large.
In reply to dmor9: Both the DMM Brenin and the DMM Alpine (and similar ones from other manufacturers) are poor harnesses for proper rock climbing as opposed to just top-roping.

Centre harness like the DMM Alpine, Petzl Pandion, Black Diamond Vario have a single point belay loop which is great for attaching a rope to, and for abseiling, but the loop is orientated the wrong way for belaying. It makes teaching novices to belay unnecessarily hard and tends to engender bad habits. They also generally only have one gear loop.

The DMM Brenin is much better in that it has a proper belay loop. However it still only has one gear loop which has a tendency to slide around. Also they are a pain to adjust and have nothing to keep the leg loop straps properly centred. They are a decent enough option for teaching someone to belay and top-roping, both indoors or outside, but are very limited beyond that.

I'd suggest a better option might be a Petzl Corax which you can currently buy for the bargain price of £40 from Decathlon. If you are only likely to take male friends climbing then a size 2 (29.5"-41") should be perfect for your needs. If you are likely to take both male and females climbing then, admittedly it is much trickier but even then, a size 1 (23.5"-35") should suffice for much of the time.
 Carolyn 14 Jun 2013
In reply to dmor9:

Something to bear in mind is that harnesses designed for centre use don't tend to be well supplied with gear loops - some do have at least one, but you might want more depending on what kind of climbing?

Would also second the suggestion of the Petzl Corax as being particularly adjustable - even fits me, who usually finds even women's specific harnesses don't have enough adjustment...and same harness fits my husband.
 Blue Straggler 14 Jun 2013
OP is asking for harnesses for non-climbing friends so a lack of gear loops is probably not an issue and (speculating, I know) these friends may not even do any of the belaying.

Incidentally you can get "slide-on" gear loops for the DMM Alpine. I have this harness and I have in fact done "proper rock climbing" with it. The absence of padding gives extra motivation to not take a lead fall
 Carolyn 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> OP is asking for harnesses for non-climbing friends so a lack of gear loops is probably not an issue and (speculating, I know) these friends may not even do any of the belaying.

Or it's entirely possible he'll be getting them to second him up easy trad routes within the first few trips before they buy a harness. That's why I said it may or may not be an issue, depending on the type of climbing.....
 John_Hat 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> Or it's entirely possible he'll be getting them to second him up easy trad routes within the first few trips before they buy a harness. That's why I said it may or may not be an issue, depending on the type of climbing.....

Centre alpine + bandolier?
OP dmor9 14 Jun 2013
In reply to dmor9: hi thanks for all the replys the idea was just for there first outing or two if they want to carry on then thell probally pick up there own one. One gear loop will be plenty as it would be mainly top roping but if they end up seconding then as said above a bandolier/sling would do.
The brenin seems to be the best choice due to the belay loop and I have a wide range of size who would be up for having a go!!

Dave
 martinph78 14 Jun 2013
In reply to dmor9: Keep an eye on ebay. Plenty of scout groups etc. get rid of these sorts of harnesses on ebay because they are "out of date". I keep meaning to pick one up myself for just the same reasons as you. Gives them some funds for new kit and saves you a few quid.

OP dmor9 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Martin1978: just missed one but they only seem to be going £10 cheaper than new!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...