UKC

Two climbers 'missing' from South stack ..??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just heard on the Beeb that 2 x climbers are 'missing' from south stack since last night .... any one know anything else..? hope they are OK..?
Simon Wells 16 Jun 2013
 dale1968 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: sad news
 goose299 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey:
Sad news indeed
 The Ivanator 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: Condolences to friends and family, so tragic. I was checking the BBC page hoping for the best, but fearing the worst, take care out there people.
 martinph78 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: Very sad news, condolences to friends and family.

getandy 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: News like this is always a blow to the climbing community. Will be interesting to see the circumstances that lead to this. My condolences to everyone involved with these two climbers.

RIP
 Supadeano86 16 Jun 2013
In reply to getandy: such a shame, accidents will happen in any kind of sport and its only those which get reported.

its these that bring bad names to these kinds of sports, never the good news that makes the headlines.
 gavster2405 16 Jun 2013
A sad day for all concerned.
RIP
 Keendan 16 Jun 2013
In reply to gavster2405:

Just returned from a Pembroke trip and my Mum drew my attention to this. Very chilling.

A sharp reminder of the horrific potential of sea cliff climbing.

My thoughts and prayers to all concerned.
 Bobling 16 Jun 2013

Sad news, condolences.
 jimjimjim 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Phill Mitch: I'm sure you would....
Thoughts with the families.
ClaireMartin 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: The two climbers who lost their lives are friends of mine. They were both very experienced and skilled people. Their names have not been released yet so I shall respect their families by not doing so. My husband had been invited to climb with them this weekend but he is overseas and so could not go with them. I am devastated for all who knew them and I will try to pass on the thoughts expressed here when I see their friends and relatives tomorrow and on Tuesday.
 sdawson1 16 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: we must remember.....climbing is a dangerous sport . We all know the risks. Pray god for them and their families at this time.
 Nigel Thomson 16 Jun 2013
In reply to ClaireMartin: Yeah, hope the comments on the forum offer their families some measure of comfort. Peace and serenity to all who knew them. When climbing bites back it's often sore.
 FreshSlate 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: My fullest sympathies to anyone who knew the climbers.
 afshapes 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: very sad news , my thoughts to friends and family
 Yanis Nayu 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: Condolences to all concerned. Really sad news.
 SGD 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: Very sad news, deepest sympathy to all friends and family.
superrich 17 Jun 2013

The younger of the two climbers was a friend I had climbed with on a few occasions. As said above their names have not been released and thus I won't either. He was a very talented and experienced climber for his age, always a good laugh and fun to climb with. A true loss. My thoughts are with the families, rest in peace guys.
 JamButty 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: First got wind of this late Sat night and was hoping for some good news come Sunday morning, but unfortunately not to be. RIP both and condolences......

dale1968 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey:names now released http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22944832
 cactusjack 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey:very sad news that two of our brothers have lost their lives in the most beautiful place !!!
 rjb 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Grinning Donkey: any update on what happened?
In reply to ADHD: I doubt we'll ever find out exactly what happend due to the circumstances.
 dale1968 24 Jun 2013
In reply to ADHD: awaiting a Coroners inquest
andyathome 24 Jun 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to ADHD) I doubt we'll ever find out exactly what happend due to the circumstances.
I would guess that a leader fall took out both the leader as well as a possibly unbelayed second - but the cause of that fall will never be known. As someone else has suggested - let's wait for a well-researched verdict.

John2 24 Jun 2013
In reply to andyathome: The incident is horribly reminiscent of the accident in which Robert Brown and Arnis Strapcans fell from Spider's Web, as a result of a belay failing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...