UKC

Budget belay glasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IanF 17 Jun 2013
Can anyone recommend a pair of cheap belay glasses?

I was considering buying the CU belay glasses, however there seems to be quite a few companies selling belay glasses for much less than CU these days. I'm considering buying "Mike's belay glasses", they seem a bargain at <$50 including delivery from US. http://belayglass.blogspot.co.uk/ if anyone has experience of these glasses it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

monkeys 18 Jun 2013
In reply to IanF:
Bump
 Chi Cheng 18 Jun 2013
In reply to IanF:

Hey Ian,

I own CU belay glasses and love them, they are expensive but are a premium product.

I got to hold a pair of "Mike's belay glasses" they are really heavy compared to CU ones, also the finish is not great.

The frame also blocks out a lot of your peripheral vision so it's hard to look under and over the frame.

Quiddity 18 Jun 2013
In reply to IanF:

another +1 for CU belay glasses - expensive but you get what you pay for. Worth it in my view.
OP IanF 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Chi Cheng:
> (In reply to Ian Fidd)
>

> The frame also blocks out a lot of your peripheral vision so it's hard to look under and over the frame.

I had similar thoughts about this myself, CU definitely have the better design on this point.
 rallymania 19 Jun 2013
In reply to IanF:

how much was your rope?

how long does it "last"?

I use mine nearly every time I go climbing, indoors and outdoors.

just my 2 pennies worth

In reply to IanF:

Belay glasses are like cocaine, aren’t they? (God’s way of telling you you have too much money, for those unfamiliar with Robin Williams’ great line.) And you wouldn’t skimp and buy cheap cocaine, now would you?

jcm
 Ian Patterson 19 Jun 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Ian Fidd)
>
> Belay glasses are like cocaine, aren’t they? (God’s way of telling you you have too much money, for those unfamiliar with Robin Williams’ great line.) And you wouldn’t skimp and buy cheap cocaine, now would you?
>
> jcm

Depends on what sort of climbing you do - in Siurana / Margalef this spring they were very common including with your standard scruffy sport climber who looks like they choose to spend the absolute minimum on anything that doesn't directly impact on their climbing. They do make a significant difference to comfort if you spend a lot of time belaying on overhanging sport routes.
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Ian Fidd)
>
> Belay glasses are like cocaine, aren’t they?

More like novocaine for parents with belayer's neck.

The Lemming 19 Jun 2013
In reply to IanF:

Another vote for CU belay glasses. And the After Sales/Customer Service is 100%. The two chaps that sell these glasses do so on-line to keep the costs as competitive as possible which is why you won't see them in the shops.

My apoligies to CU belay glasses if this is inaccurate.

I got a pair for christmas because I was suffering from neck pain when at indoor walls. Turns out that I have quite a serious neck problem which is ongoing.

Due to my neck condition which include a few prolapsed disks and other such nasties I have pain extending my neck and these glasses are a real boon.

The optics are first class. There are no mirror images to confuse the brain and the colours and scene presented before you are not altered in any way to further confuse your brain.

If you need to consider these glasses then I'm guessing that you have neck pain.

If the cost is a bit expensive then have a think about how much a Sports Physio costs to relieve neck and back pain from muscle problems. Three trips to a physio will cost about the same as these glasses.

Climbing is a big part of my life, and I'm guessing quite high on your social and fitness agenda too. I would rather spend my money on a quality product that relieves neck pain and gives me the best peripheral vision while keeping my partner safe while climbing.

Sadly I am not able to climb this year, and will probably go under the surgeon's knife later this year. I am really glad that I have my CU glasses ready and waiting for when I can go back out to play, because I really will need them then.

The CU belay glasses really are a quality product, and if you can get a chance to try a pair out, jump at the chance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...