UKC

New Zealand Campervan Experiences and Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greylag 17 Jun 2013
Hi,

Wondering what peoples experiences were and what advice you may have for hiring a campervan for three weeks in New Zealand.

Quick itinerary is that we are staying with friends for two weeks in the North Island (variuos places)so we don't require a vehicle there but then going solo or duo as the case maybe for three weeks from Picton to Christchurch.

Short and sweet.

Regards,

Stuart.
 frqnt 17 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:

Check out Juicy Rentals; http://www.jucy.co.nz/
 Brass Nipples 17 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:

Watch the guttering in Greymouth and try to not take it out when parking. Maui Camper Van hire at Christchurch airport, but wrong end for you. Campsirptes are great with plug in points and covered cooking areas etc.
In reply to greylag: Did this as my 50 th birthday treat. Make sure you do Fox Glacier and Milford sound. Also there's some great mountain hiking in and around Arthur's pass.
 Bobling 17 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:

Depending on when you are going it can get cold. North of the South Island is very nice (also has the world famous in New Zealand Hangdog campsite where climbers can get stuck for weeks on the nearby sport routes). Loads of Doc stuff to do and investigate www.doc.govt.nz. One of the most interesting things I did was to go on a boat ride to see the Albatrosses at Taiaroa Head, truly amazing but we may have just been lucky. Don't get sucked in to the Glaciers on the West coast, really not worth driving for three days to go and see them, Milford Sound on the other hand...we did a good boat trip overnight on there (but don't share a cabin with my mother-in-law, she snores at immense volume all night and then blames it on you).

Go tramping but make sure you take your wallet and passport with you, not that we ever got robbed but a rental campervan unoccupied overnight may attract the wrong sort of attention.

Oh yeah Castle Hill bouldering, you can hire mats and a topo in Springfield.

Have a lovely time.
 Chewie65 17 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:
I agree about the Glaciers -unless you are planning to head further into the mountains - just to walk up and look is pointless.

My 3 week experience started with picking up the van after 30 hours with no sleep and nearly falling asleep at the wheel.
Whatever you do, get some kip before heading off
Make sure you have good bedding - It snowed (passes blocked) in mid December so be prepared.
3 weeks wasnt enough and didnt see anywhere near as much as I wanted
OP Greylag 18 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:

Thanks to all your responses all very useful. Its a trip to be well planned (which is half the excitement).

And to echo the final point Im regretting already not booking a longer trip.

Regards.

Stuart.
Graeme G 18 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:

Enjoy. I did both islands (Auckland to Millford Sound to Auckland) in 9 days. Campervan with me and 3 single girls in 1994. Mostly driving obviously but what a road trip - memories to last a lifetime.
 wilkie14c 18 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag: I've a book - 'campervan in Tasmania' or something, I'll send it you if you PM me address, I rather someone get some use from it that it sitting on the shelf forever. It may be of use.
Moley 18 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:
We did NZ 4 years ago but simply got the cheapest hire car for 3 weeks in South Island, used our tent on campsites (which are really geared up to trekking types and have everything) and when the weather was really crap found a cheap YHA or similar. I'm sure this came out quite a bit cheaper than a camper van. Maybe worth considering.
This evening wife and I were discussing me going again this winter, on my own for as long as I like......wow!!!!!
One other tip, before you go clean every piece of outdoor equipment to within an inch of its life, it is THOROUGHLY inspected by customs and they take no prisoners - just your gear if it's dirty.
 Bobling 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Moley:

> This evening wife and I were discussing me going again this winter, on my own for as long as I like......wow!!!!!

That sounds like you've been fired mate ; )
rmt 18 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag: You'll have a ball! I did much the same about 6 years ago and promptly moved here. When are you planning on travelling as that would make a difference to my suggestions for must see stuff. How much climbing/biking etc are you planning on or is it just a tourist type holiday?
rmt 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Moley: So long as you declare that you've got the relevant items customs will just clean them and return them, but that will create a major hassle so as Moley says it's definitely best to clean stuff carefully. And if you picked up an apple in LA and left it in your pocket, don't forget to throw it away or you'll get a $200 fine if you haven't declared you are bringing in food!!
 Damo 19 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:

Picton to Chch is not far, so assuming you don't want to drive past Chch then come back up, it would make sense to go down the West Coast, which means you'll see the glaciers etc anyway. They may not be much interest to climbers to just walk up and look at, but if you can afford a glacier flight, or better yet get a helo up to one of the huts and do a climb or just hang out for 24hrs I think this is a worthwhile experience. The coastal scenery is also good, if you like that sort of thing. Arthurs Pass is en route across the mountains going west (unless you cross much further north) so you can do a day walk from there too (Avalanche Pk etc).

Further south past Fox you can also do an overnight walk in to Welcome Flat hut and sample the hot springs (smelly). The longer famous walks (Milford etc) are $$ and booked up in high summer but there are countless other things to do. An overnight at Brewster Hut, near Haast Pass, is also a nice trip if you want some exercise. Three weeks is not long enough if you want to actually do a number of outdoor things as the weather will shut you down 30% of the time.

Some touristy things climbers often disdain can be great. I did a half day of sea kayaking on Milford Sound in perfect weather that was like something out of a holiday brochure, and not expensive. Queenstown is branded as too touristy but it's a stunning location, fun activities and good cafes, restaurants etc. There are a couple of day walks out of Mt Cook Village that might be good in nice weather, and good to go there and at least get a good look at it. Plenty of air charters if you can afford it for sightseeing etc (weather dependent though).

Annoying little midge like flies in summer down the west coast, OK in winter, though cold.

Chch is a bit of a mess still, at least in the city centre. Akaroa is a nice day trip, French-heritage seaside village place, nice scenery etc.
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to greylag)

>
> Queenstown is branded as too touristy but it's a stunning location, fun activities and good cafes, restaurants etc.

I hated Queenstown, too packed, too expensive and not in any way nice.
In reply to greylag: I've emailed you a link, via UKC, to my blog of our NZ campervan trip, you may get some info out of that.
rmt 19 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to Damo)
> [...]
>
>
> [...]
>
> I hated Queenstown, too packed, too expensive and not in any way nice.

I'm not a fan of Queenstown for the reasons you mention (ie, the people), but I think it would be difficult to say that it isn't a stunning place when you look past that. For outdoorsy folk (like I imagine the majority of people here are) the area immediately around Queenstown offers everything you could want in both summer and winter, though I much prefer Wanaka, just an hour down the road.
 ben b 19 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob: It's obviously pretty fashionable to diss QT but in the grand scheme of things it is deserted (compared to say Ambleside on a bank holiday weekend), a reasonable drive from most places with no transport links other than poor roads and air, and a somewhat variable environment (very hot to very cold) so it isn't that much of a surprise that it is expensive, aside form the obvious tourist dollar pull.

On the other hand the mountains are as handy as they get in NZ (other than from Aoraki, and no-one lives there), the skiing generally good, some high class ice and mixed, great walking and biking, a good outdoor scene and a huge range of excellent food and drink to be had (c.f. Aviemore, Fort William, Hathersage, Kendal for instance). The view from the hill out across lake Wakatipu to the Remarkables on a clear winter day is insanely great. A day on tele skis out behind the Remarkables followed by fergburgers and a patagonia hot chocolate before nodding off in front of the fire makes me a very happy boy.

If you thought it not in any way nice then we clearly have very different priorities!

b
 stonemaster 19 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag: Had 3 weeks on South Island, Sunshine Campervan at airport were friendly and reasonably priced. Went to all the usual honeypots in the brochures. Loved them all. In no order of preference, Fox Glacier, Milford Sound, Aoraki, Otago, Queenstown, Kaikoura, Hanmer Hot Springs spring to mind, among others. Bought fruit and veg from roadside stalls, some overnight in laybys but have to go in to caravan parks every 3rd night to recharge. Emptying black water can be an exercise in hysterical amusement. Have a smashing time. Good luck.
 Damo 19 Jun 2013
In reply to ben b:
> (In reply to stroppygob) It's obviously pretty fashionable to diss QT

Yep. Most of the world has grown out of that phase though.

> On the other hand the mountains are as handy as they get in NZ (other than from Aoraki, and no-one lives there), the skiing generally good, some high class ice and mixed, great walking and biking, a good outdoor scene and a huge range of excellent food and drink to be had (c.f. Aviemore, Fort William, Hathersage, Kendal for instance). The view from the hill out across lake Wakatipu to the Remarkables on a clear winter day is insanely great.

Exactly

> If you thought it not in any way nice then we clearly have very different priorities!
>

+1
 steev 19 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:

Currently living in ChCh, and have traveled round both Islands a bit.

The issue with campervans is that it's not as easy to wild-camp as you might expect. You're quite tied to the DOC sites (cheap/free, but fairly scarce) or the powered campsites (expensive). We've found that by far the best bang/buck ratio is to hire a car and stay in the backpackers hostels. The backpackers are usually about the same price as a van site, and some of the places you can stay are really incredible. Look at the BBH site and pick the hostel with the highest rating for the town you want to stay in and you'll be grand.

Whatever your mode of transport, bear in mind that travelling times are always bigger than you might expect for the distance. It's easy to try and see everything then spend your entire holiday behind the wheel, and ending up missing out. Much better to accept that there are things you'll miss out on and concentrate on enjoying fewer things for longer.
In reply to ben b:
> (In reply to stroppygob) It's obviously pretty fashionable to diss QT but in the grand scheme of things it is deserted (compared to say Ambleside on a bank holiday weekend), a reasonable drive from most places with no transport links other than poor roads and air, and a somewhat variable environment (very hot to very cold) so it isn't that much of a surprise that it is expensive, aside form the obvious tourist dollar pull.

I didn't like the place, not due to it being fashionable to do so, or due to it being unlike Ambleside. I found it just didn't fit my needs and wants at that point. For others it may be Mecca, Eden and Nivarna rolled into one, for me it was just not what I wanted.

> If you thought it not in any way nice then we clearly have very different priorities!

I hope so. It would be a boring world if we all had the same priorities, likes, and tastes, and QT would be even more crowded.

(It is ok for someone to have a different view to you, isn't it?)
 Damo 19 Jun 2013
In reply to steev:
> (In reply to greylag)
>
> We've found that by far the best bang/buck ratio is to hire a car and stay in the backpackers hostels.

Yes, was going to suggest the same. Hiring small or midsize wagons is usually what I do and you can sleep in the back if you really need to stop and camp somewhere out of town. I've normally paid less than AUD$30 @ day (July-Nov) for a Toyota or Subaru wagon, sometimes AWD.

The hostels can get booked up though in high seasons, in bigger towns, but not hard to book ahead by phone or net. Cars/wagons are also better to actually drive than camper vans. You do sometimes get good deals on the Toyota Tarago style Jucy vans, though of course they are bright green and purple
 Damo 19 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to ben b)
> [...]
>
>
> (It is ok for someone to have a different view to you, isn't it?)

No

But seriously, people, shops and buildings aside - you couldn't even appreciate the stunning natural setting? Not at all?
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
> [...]
>
> No
>
> But seriously, people, shops and buildings aside - you couldn't even appreciate the stunning natural setting? Not at all?

Oh that was ok, but it was nothing like some of the beauty we had passed through getting there, and definitely paled compared to Te-Anu and Milford Sound.

We just preferred to be out of the big towns.

floss_81 19 Jun 2013
Im over here at the moment.

Flights around the place are dirt cheap if you book ahead. Look at jetstar. Return auckland-christchurch is $50/£25 how good is that. Its 49 down and 1 back.

Also if you want hire cars/campers

http://www.rentalcarrelocation.co.nz/

We have had a few friends that have used this option and it can work out mega cheap. As they pay for the north south ferry which is expensive. Some only charge a buck a day. Plus if you pay extra you can add extra days.

Check out-

http://www.freeclimb.co.nz
http://www.aucklandclimber.org.nz
http://www.climb.co.nz/

Froggatt edge is a good sports crag. Hoping to get out and find some more.

If you fancy a climb in north island Hamilton/Auckland area let me know.
 Trangia 19 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:

I've been considering NZ. Words I have see3n creeping in are "when the weather's bad" and "rain"

Does ir rain a lot there?

How does it compare with the UK in terms of wet days?

A rainy day always seems so much more unpleasant when you are on holiday and have just forked out thousands of pounds to get there for just a small window of time.
Graeme G 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Could have been pure lick but when i was there Easter 1994 it didn't rain much if at all. Clear days and stunning views.
Graeme G 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

"Luck" not lick!
rmt 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Trangia: It depends where and when you go. During the main part of summer (Jan-Mar) you'd be unlucky to get a wet day a week throughout the majority of the country. You go to the west coast though, it's rain forest! You'll get wet!
 floss_81 19 Jun 2013
Mate working in rope access so im outside 9 out of 10 days. In auckland.

Every day im in shorts and t-shirts. Its the middle of winter here(equal to UK dec) and every one wears shorts and flip flops.

The only people who moan that its cold and rains are the kiwi because they havent seen a UK summer yet.

Its still 15-18c and its winter. Yes it rains but then it stops and its warm blue sky. Trust me its not even in the same ball park as english shit weather.

Last w-end we where rock climbing shirts off and a friend was an hr away mountineering. What more do you want.
 stonemaster 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to greylag)
>
> I've been considering NZ. Words I have see3n creeping in are "when the weather's bad" and "rain"
>
> Does ir rain a lot there?
>
> No more than usual..., but that is nothing compared to the blackflies from Hell. They make the Scottish MacMidgees seem like fluffy kittens...

ben b 19 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (It is ok for someone to have a different view to you, isn't it?)

Hell yes, it just seems a surprise that there was nothing about it you liked, that's all.

Re: rain, well I can't hear myself think from the rain on the tin roof now - best not look at odt.co.nz, as it might be disappointing. We got about 4 inches of rain on tuesday afternoon... but that's pretty unusual for Dunedin.

b

Moley 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Bobling:
> (In reply to Moley)
>
> [...]
>
> That sounds like you've been fired mate ; )

Naah, there is a 'payback', she gets her trip of a lifetime to Galapagos to see the tortoises (and everything else) - while I stay at home looking after her pet tortoises!

We were in NZ during February, I thought the weather much the same as home, a few days great and then it would piss down for a day or 2, I would be prepared for anything.

We kept away from all the big tourist treks, but I had great solo runs (2 - 3 days)from Arthurs pass and Nelson lakes amongst others utilising DOC huts. Visited Fox glacier, thought it a touristy dump (sorry to disagree with others) it was pissing with rain, everyone looked miserable plodding about in little lines following their guides. We walked up to the base, had a look through the rain and mist then drove back North to some better weather. It wasn't our scene.

Driving a car is soooo easy there, roads long, straight and empty.
Moley 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
> (In reply to Trangia)
>
> Could have been pure lick but when i was there Easter 1994 it didn't rain much if at all. Clear days and stunning views.

That was before global warming mate, it's all changed now - blame the Australians, everything is their fault!
 AlisonSmiles 19 Jun 2013
In reply to greylag:

Kaikoura was my favourite place if you're looking for locations! Beaches and mountains, who could want more?

Have you used a campervan much in Europe or elsewhere? I ask because I find that campervanning it around Europe can be fairly isolating - it isn't full of opportunities to chill with folk, language barrier apart you just don't meet people if you're places without any communal facility. I stayed in hostels around NZ and met a massive amount of folk. Would a car hire and hostel suit you as an alternative - maybe cheaper as I remember looking at camper hire and being a little put off!

The hostels were amazing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...