UKC

Land Access - Invercauld

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Douglas Griffin 18 Jun 2013
Bit of a stramash at Invercauld when the factor found Andy Wightman (and his dog) having a picnic by the River Dee on Saturday just past.

http://www.andywightman.com/?p=2872
Some very interesting discussion too.

An especially fine comment posted by the historian, Jim Hunter:
"This from a crofter at a Highland Land League meeting in Skye in 1884: ‘The fish that was yesterday miles away from the land was claimed by the landlord the moment it reached the shore. And so also were the birds of the air as soon as they flew over his land. The law made it so, because landlords were themselves the lawmakers, and it was a wonder that the poor man was allowed to breathe the air of heaven and drink from the mountain stream without having the factors and the whole of the county police pursuing him as a thief.’ … Since all that’s changed in the intervening 129 years is that you can’t now let your dog cool down in a Highland river, we don’t seem to be making much progress."
 inboard 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:
It's a good discussion, right enough. Jim Hunter's recent article (which is also on Andy's website) proposing a 'Lochhead Act' is thought-provoking too.
Removed User 18 Jun 2013

Hmmm. Mountains and molehills?

I get the impression that:

a) He behaved like a tosser, parking his car where he shouldn't have and letting his dog splash around in the pool (his later comments shows he doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to fishing).
b) The ghillie behaved like a tosser, a polite request to move the car and the dug would have avoided a lot of anguish.

Regarding the sub text. I've been wandering around Scotland for 40 years and I've been told to piss off twice. Once from a wee shite of a farmer in Glen Feshie and once by an old woman on Great Berneray, the "get orf my land" routine is not the exclusive preserve of the upper classes and their retainers.
 MG 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserDouglas Griffin)

> Regarding the sub textt. I've been wandering around Scotland for 40 years and I've been told to piss off twice. Once from a wee shite of a farmer in Glen Feshie and once by an old woman on Great Berneray, the "get orf my land" routine is not the exclusive preserve of the upper classes and their retainers.

Similar experiences here. In fact I have always found keepers helpful and polite but I dont park illegally. A little consideration on both "sides" goes a long way
 cander 18 Jun 2013
I'm surprised - Archie for it is he - is an absolute gent. I've spent many happy days fishing the Dee at Invercauld. He's hardly a Toff - ex oily boy who retired and took up as a Gillie. To put it in context I pay around £1000 a week (in september mind) for fishing there, and I'm pretty sure I'd be upset if someone let their dog splash around in the pools if I was fishing. Everyone's pastime deserves due consideration by those who don't participate, cyclists by motorists, as climbers do by landowners, fishermen by canoeists, stalking estates by walkers the list goes - if Archie had paying guests - which I'm sure he did as Invercauld is fully booked all year, his employer would expect him to move dog and owner on.
 Colin Moody 18 Jun 2013

“Get your dog out of the river. This is a fishing river, People pay to fish here.”
“What’s the problem“, I asked as I walked towards him to find out what all the fuss was about.

Andy seems fairly ignorant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...