UKC

Hiring a van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sonjita 19 Jun 2013
Hi guys,
Am hiring an Iveco Daily van next month to move the other half out of student halls in London back Oop North where he belongs.
Problem is, I've never driven anything bigger than a Berlingo - anyone got any advice for driving a LWB van for the first time?
Cheers.
 butteredfrog 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Sonjita: keep an eye on what the back wheels are doing at junctions, when turning left etc. Allow the back axle to reach the corner before you turn, or you will cut the corner.

Remember you are in a biggish van, give yourself a bit more space/thinking time. Apart from that not a lot to add.
 richparry 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Sonjita:

The speed limit for a van is 50 on single carriageway, 60 on dual and 70 on the motorway just incase you don't already know.
 deepsoup 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Sonjita:
Check your mirrors a *lot*, especially the one on the near side.

Take your time, keep your cool. Don't let anyone hassle you into moving faster than you are comfortable.

If you have any tight reversing to do get someone (someone fairly sensible ideally) to keep an eye on things for you (and get them to stand where you can seem them in one mirror or the other).
Jim C 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Sonjita:
> Hi guys,
> Am hiring an Iveco Daily van next month to move the other half out of student halls in London back Oop North where he belongs.
> Problem is, I've never driven anything bigger than a Berlingo - anyone got any advice for driving a LWB van for the first time?
> Cheers.

Yep check the height of the van, and the height of low bridges on your proposed route, and DON'T change the route last minute )

( I'm saying no more except to say that the points I got on my licence are now spent)
OP Sonjita 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Sonjita:
Thanks everyone sure i'll be fine
 SteveoS 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Sonjita:

Hire a smaller van? I'm getting all my stuff including 2 surfboards in a clio.

A man doesn't need that much stuff!
Jim C 23 Jun 2013
In reply to SteveoS:
> (In reply to Sonjita)
>
> Hire a smaller van? I'm getting all my stuff including 2 surfboards in a clio.
>
> A man doesn't need that much stuff!

That's. good point, if it is halls what stuff can he have that can't all go in a large estate/ small van ?
richyfenn 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Sonjita:

A passenger is useful so they can check your left blind spot for you whilst you get used to it. Get a copy of the Sun and display it on the dashboard to gain respect from other van drivers
 Yanis Nayu 23 Jun 2013
In reply to richyfenn:
> (In reply to Sonjita)
>
> A passenger is useful so they can check your left blind spot for you whilst you get used to it. Get a copy of the Sun and display it on the dashboard to gain respect from other van drivers

And some MacDonalds cartons
 thin bob 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Sonjita:
pretty much what everyone said above.. remember how a bus drives on the road - 'squares off' the corners, the nose goes way past the corner before turning hard. LIke butteredfrog said, get the back wheels nearly clear of the corner;
- pull out to pass something a longer way back than usual and gradually, at a shallow angle.
- acceleration and braking will take longer. if you hear a crash or clunk, don't panic, it's probably stuff faling over (as ong as you've followed the first point!)
- relax! take things easy and slow. think 'ballet' rather than 'hip-hop'
 Pritchard 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Sonjita:

On a side note, make sure your licence covers driving it. Largely depends on if you got your licence pre or post rule change (15 years or so ago?) and the size version of the vehicle you hire.

The legal speed limit is also lower for vans, 50 on single, 60 on dual and 70 on motorways.

Craig.
 coinneach 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Pritchard:

If it's a white van don't forget to tailgate other road users, overtake at inappropriate times and drive too close to cyclists.
 abbotsmike 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Pritchard:

Good point, but I'm pretty certain that all van bodied iveco daily are under 3.5 ton gross, which is fine on a modern car license.
 Camm 24 Jun 2013
In reply to abbotsmike:
They do some that are over 3.5 ton but if they're not twin wheel then don't worry.

Watch your mirrors, you'll soon get the hang of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...