UKC

Flooding in the Pyrenees - Bagneres de Luchon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Firstly after the catastrophic floods several days ago I hope all our UKCers based in the Pyrenees are ok. i know people on the western side of the Tourmalet who were separated from their children for a couple of days when the floods hit.

I'm after some advice about the road conditions around Bagneres de Luchon as a gang of us were supposed to be heading to Luz St Saveur to ride some of the classics in 3 weeks time after 4 days in Foix seeing le Tour. After hearing about the destruction of the road on the western side of the Tourmalet climb we are rethinking where to be based?

Any info gratefully received,
sam
interdit 22 Jun 2013
In reply to La Shamster:

There are groups out riding today Sam, so there will be routes for you to ride in 3 weeks time

I have seen the word 'destroyed' used several times for a description of Barèges.
Western side of the Tourmalet may not be passable this year?

St Béat was badly flooded, but is passable apparently now, though still not advising people go down over Menté into the village just yet, but am fairly sure the Tour will be going over it on the 7th.

Luchon was flooded, but they really sorted things quickly there with a big clean up effort.

The Val d'Aran over in Spain copped it hard with road damage.

The Gave de Pau wreaked some damage too, though I don't have fully up to date info on the clear up there.

East of us (Aspet)- Into the Ariege was not touched.

There were some large landslips, but all major routes are passable.
There were some road collapses into the rivers, but almost everywhere is now passable, some with diversions.

Some of the locals have been hit hard, with property damage, livestock loss etc - thankfully only 2 people lost their lives, due to rapid evacuation.
The last thing they need now is for the tourist trade to die and they lose their income too.

Summary: Come and visit. You will be able to ride. As to exactly where you want to stay? You may be better to the East of the Tourmalet, but it really depends upon what was on your hit list to ride - I'm assuming you weren't planning on riding up and over the Tourmalet each way, each day to reach your other climbs?

Give me a shout, or find me on FB if you want more info. If I don't have it I have a network of contacts who will.
In reply to interdit:

Hi Andy thats fantastic info thanks. Thought you may come up trumps. Yeah Bareges is where these people have a hotel. Apparently up in the village isn't as bad. I've heard that the Superbagneres climb took a hit with a landslide too. Will FB you later for more info. say hi to Penny for me.

Cheers
sam
In reply to La Shamster: ....after Foix we are totally flexi and you are right about the tourism. We are happy doing the T from Ste Marie de Complan. Also heard Peyresourde was closed?
In reply to La Shamster: off now to register for a very wet Dartmoor Classic sportif tomorrow will be in touch. Also need St Girons info
interdit 22 Jun 2013
In reply to La Shamster:

Peyresourde was closed, though bison-fute.fr are now listing that as open.

There was a big slip on the SuperBagneres climb - That's not going to be on the top priority list for sorting at the moment.

Barege video.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=467292696687391
interdit 22 Jun 2013
In reply to interdit:
> (In reply to La Shamster)

> St Béat was badly flooded, but is passable apparently now, though still not advising people go down over Menté into the village just yet, but am fairly sure the Tour will be going over it on the 7th.

Friends over at http://www.pyractif.com/ took a group from the top of the Portet d'Aspet down and then over col de Menté into St Béat today with no problems.

They don't hang around here when sorting out stuff like this.
The Western ascent of the Tourmalet will be closed for some time.
The climb to SuperBagneres will be shut for a short while
Everything else is open if you want to come ride in the Pyrénées.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...