/ Vancouver and Squamish - any tips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lukedavidalden on 22 Jun 2013
Anyone spent much time in Vancouver area? I'm heading out there in August and will obviously head out to Squamish whilst I'm there.

The main question I have is to do with accommodation!

Can anyone suggest any cheap short term accommodation or where to look for it?

Ideally want to be central as possible whilst getting my bearings and finding more longer term places.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Luke
andy16 - on 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Lukedavidalden:
There is tonnes of youth hostels in Van. A few in central downtown. I didn't stay in any I just know of them from googling them last year.
There is also the campsite in Squamish which is right at the Cheif. Or one further up Loggers Lane nearer the smoke bluffs.
Again I did t stay in these. I just know of them from being in the area last summer.
The Norris - on 22 Jun 2013

In squamish, we stayed in the campsite at the bottom of the chief, right in amongst all the bouldering. It was cheap, basic but had a really nice relaxed atmosphere, and full of climbers. The only downside was that it was a fair old walk into squamish town, so having a car would make life a lot easier.

When my brother moved to vancouver, he started off staying here... http://www.hihostels.ca/westerncanada/169/HI-Vancouver_Downtown.hostel

its about 20 quid a night, and is very central in downtown vancouver, so not too unreasaonable.
ian Ll-J - on 22 Jun 2013

Got 3 weeks booked (July / August) in a Yurt in Squammish, struggled initially as all popular hostels were fully booked for the year!!!!

http://www.eaglevistarv.com/yurts.html#!sites/ch6q
Neil Mackenzie - on 22 Jun 2013

> Ideally want to be central as possible whilst getting my bearings and finding more longer term places.

from the sounds of it you are here for a while??? if you are looking for longer term accommodation in vancouver look on craigslist (their version of gumtree). there is tonnes of reasonably priced stuff. i am in a short term place the now and lookig to find a new place in august, preferably with a bunch of climbers!

its a 90min journey from downtown to squamish and as the others say, there are good hostels and camping options in squamish

i have just moved over so email me if you have any questions....
Lukedavidalden on 22 Jun 2013

Thanks for all the responses guys, yeah I'm guna be here for a while. I'd like to avoid hostals if I can, but it may have to be that if I cant find anything else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.