UKC

Where I walk my dogs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Here's my first go at a time lapse, feedback and advice, critique and criticism all welcomed.

youtube.com/watch?v=zJozxQwhq2Y&

(But be gentle with me please )
 Pyreneenemec 22 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

Interesting, but is it culture ?
In reply to Pyreneenemec: I like to think so.

ice.solo 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

quite cool and watchable.

found the location titles distracting tho. another format or not at all?
ice.solo 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

music lets down the images too i think.
 Blizzard 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

A very interesting video. Fantastic imagery. Amazing colours. Great music matches the whole short film very well. I like the time lapse style. Thankyou

A success. Well Done!
Many thanks guys! I'm humbled.

All those places are within 5-10 minutes drive from home, and I live in the inner North of Canberra, which is the only reason I can live "inner city".

I've picked up some useful tips and ticks while making this, and got more off forums where I've posted it, so I may try doing some more.

I-S, can easily remove all the titles, thanks for the tip.

Also, sorry I-S if you don't like the music, it was something I knocked up specifically for the time lapse, what would improve it?
ice.solo 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

im no film maker, but i know some of those landscapes, and they are BIG.

i think youve captured that really well (ie a litle screen doesnt do it justice).
so i think with the titles,, maybe just drop them back to being faint, or tiny, or fading in then out, maybe in the margin somewheere, maybe vertically. something that doesnt compete with the bigness of the landscapes, if that makes sense.

likewise the soundtrack (but thats a very personal thing). id persoanlly go for minimalist stuff that lets the size of the landscape thru (i imagine a composer named murcof, but thats not to everyones liking). either that or something grander.
its a bizarre landscape around canberra - conveying the silence but dramatic nature of those sorts of places is different to showing other parts of the world.

i thought your kangaroo sequences very good. usually kangaroos are cliched and boring, but yours were neither.
In reply to ice.solo: Thanks again mate, your thoughts are very welcome.

I'm a big fan of both minimalism, and grandness. In fact I was thinking of doing the "orchestral" beginning and end evolving throughout the sequence, (though I could also drop back to a more minimalist approach too.)

I'll see what I can do with the titles, as I say this was my first stab, sio I just went with the software presets, so a bit more experimentation wouldn't go amiss.

Cheers again!
ice.solo 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

Wherever you take it, let us know when its good to go.
 Queenie 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

I enjoyed that.
The sculpture lapse particularly stood out along with the roos, but nicely balanced by shots of rustling trees and big big skies.
Mt Stromlo title at 2m40 is only showing for a split second, need to rewind and pause to catch it.
Out of interest, how long did the camera sit for each segment? I presume you stayed with it each time, or were you able to leave and return to it?
In reply to Queenie:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
>
> I enjoyed that.
> The sculpture lapse particularly stood out along with the roos, but nicely balanced by shots of rustling trees and big big skies.

Thank you!

> Out of interest, how long did the camera sit for each segment? I presume you stayed with it each time, or were you able to leave and return to it?

If it was safe to do so, I left it, each section was shot for about 10 mins, then edited down.

Cheers!

yeti 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

well, you'll never please everybody with music

only thing i'd change is the zooming thing, got a little irritating towards the end, so erm 9.9 out of 10 for a first go, it's realy good
 mike123 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob: Really enjoyed it . Our lass spent a lot of time running feral round these parts when she was little . I will show it her later . See if it makes her home sick .
 Fraser 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

Pros: great landscapes, imagery, concept. All the scenes were well set up.

Cons: for me, the music style wasn't appropriate for the tranquility of the landscapes. Something more mellow would have suited better I think. The pace of change within the timelapses themselves was too slow. (clouds were generally moving too slowly, maybe increase the interval between shots?) Didn't really like the zoom transitions.

Very good effort though - you've got some amazing locations to hand!
In reply to stroppygob: Thanks Fraser, more valid comments.

All these will be taken into account when/if I try another.
 Tall Clare 23 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

It felt a little jumpy for me and I agree with the comments about the choice of music.

It being a film whose title references dog walking, I think I'd like to see more of the dogs. I'm *very* jealous that you get to see kangaroos on your daily dogwalk - and some amazing landscapes.

Looking forward to seeing future versions.
In reply to Tall Clare: Thanks Claire.

But which comments, someone actually said they liked my music composition for the time lapse,(this is a first!)
I think the consensus has been reached.

Happily, I remembered this am that I have a Canon 450 D which I haven't used since I bought the 5D mkIII. I'll use that now for time lapse, so as to not knacker my 5D.

Will shoot a few more over the coming month, and link here.

I'm still going to inflict my bloody awful music on you though. (Next time it'll be a more ambient piece I've been working on.)

Thanks again for the kind and thoughtful feedback, it will be taken on board.
In reply to stroppygob: Tomoz on my day off, will be deleting the transitions, using more of the images shot, speeding it up x 2 or x4, and composing new music, then sending to yootoob, will link here.
ice.solo 26 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

keen to see the results. the material certainly is worthy.
for what its worth, i like the zooming bits. sort of hallucinogenic quality, a bit unearthly.
youtube.com/watch?v=6fpFovUxQHg&

Second construction of it, having heeded the advice given here and elsewhere.

Thoughts?
ice.solo 27 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

yeah thats really good. the sections arround the middle where the shadows on the ground move (and not the sky) are very interesting (more of that if youre still on for uninformed opinions).

excellent music. youve a talent there. to my again uninformed opinion it fits much better (tho a dash more alien electronica to expand the strangeness of the landscapes would be nice, but thats just me).

very watchable.
In reply to stroppygob: Thanks for that mate! I've messaged you a link to an adapted version of the tune, done just for you!

I'm now waiting a new intervalometer to use with me old camera. I will be trying to knock out a few time lapses, taking on-board the tips and tricks read here and elsewhere...
 yeti 28 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

nice one, lookin' forward to the next one
 Sean Kelly 28 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob: Not many dogs here?
In reply to stroppygob: Cheers both!
 gcandlin 29 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob: loved the composition of the shots, others have mentioned the music so I wont I think you need to use a much quicker interval count in your time lapse (every 1-5 seconds depending on how fast the clouds are moving) and this will give you much more smooth flowing clouds. Also have a play at upping the frames per second with what you already have
 Fraser 29 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

Nice one. I definitely prefer this second version - the whole piece somehow feels more 'consistent'.
In reply to stroppygob: Cheers guys!!
 Timmd 30 Jun 2013
In reply to stroppygob: Would some kind of fade be possible between each scene? I find myself almost wanting to blink each time it changes, which detracts from the tranquillity a little for me. Amazing scenes and landscapes though.
In reply to Timmd: Cheers Timmd.

I tried a transition between scenes in the first version, people didn't like them so I left them out for the second attempt.

Maybe a different type/duration of transition may work?

Will be doing another one in a month or so, will play about with transitions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...