UKC

Saving a wet i phone 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gav Parker 23 Jun 2013
Anyone rescued a wet i phone with any success......read a bag of rice does the trick.....

cheers....
 gd303uk 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker: do not turn it on, although it doesn't always matter, big bowl of rice can work , as well as loads of silica packets.
was it fresh water , or salt water ?
 london_huddy 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker:

Take the sim card out, bury it in a bowl full of rice and leave it somewhere warm for 2-3 days. Pray.

Good luck!
Jim C 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker: according to daughter no 3 rice is ok, and possibly small grain rice has less air spaces , hence more densely packed and more contact with the phone, more drying surface!

What do I know, she is the one with the maths and physics degree, so I guess she may be right.
OP Gav Parker 23 Jun 2013
In reply to gd303uk:

Fresh water...sort of....def not salt water

Thanks for replies...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker:

Fresh water.... sort of?

I dropped a Gameboy down the toilet once - rescued it, turned it off and left it for a couple of days. To my surprise the machine and the game both survived the dunking.

Chris
 goose299 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker:
Rice, an airing cupboard and pray!
 Chris the Tall 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:
1) you have a gameboy ?
2) you use it on the loo ?

Shocked...speechless...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
> 1) you have a gameboy ?
> 2) you use it on the loo ?
>
> Shocked...speechless...

Doesn't everybody?

Chris

vark 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker:
Did this to mine recently. Take the SIM try out and blow through it. This will expel a large amou t of water. I then sat mine over the output of a dehumidifier for a day. The only thing to suffer in the end was the focusing on the camera.
ice.solo 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker:

Would couscous work?
 Nathan Adam 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker: Rice works, used it on my ipod a few years back when i came out the gym to go into the swimming pool and had forgot to empty my pockets before bombing it into the pool. An almost expensive mistake saved by a cheap bag of rice. Phew !!!

Good luck !
 teflonpete 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker:

Don't know about an iPhone but we saved my daughter's Samsung Galaxy after she dropped it in the sink.
I removed the battery and sim, wrapped the phone in tissue and put it in a sandwich bag full of rice in the airing cupboard for 2 days. Phone recovered and still works fine 6 months later. Good luck.
 colina 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker: wot about fried rice?
 Neil Williams 24 Jun 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

Only problem with iOS devices is the fixed battery. Removing the battery very quickly is key - as once the water starts conducting electricity around the place, things rapidly get irretrievably zapped.

That said, my iPod Classic got soaked, and by drying it out carefully (by but not on[1] the radiator, then to finish completely charging it sat on top of the charger, to provide some warmth from within) it still works albeit with slightly reduced battery life and some odd noises on occasions.

[1] It isn't clever to heat lithium batteries up too much if you don't like your house being on fire.

Neil
RCJ 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker:

My iphone got soaked at sea... lots of big waves, forgot phone in pocket...

Got back alongside, and voice control was working itself, music playing whenever it felt like it, screen flashing and ringing people randomly... I put it under my bathroom radiator... 24 hours later phone works perfectly again.
 wilkie14c 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker: I understand the proper way of sorting water damage is a full stripdown and cleaning of the board in an ultrasonic cleaner. Not sure what fluid is used though, perhaps deiornised water. The board is then baked to evaporate any residue. It can be done at home, ultrasonic cleaners for a board this size are only 30 odd quid on ebay and the board can be baked in the domestic oven. Read up on it first though!
 cfer 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker: Rice can work, but if you havent already then remove the battery, you can get the tools to remove the bits you need on ebay for less than a £5, I rescued mine by taking apart and putting in a bowl of rice, then replaced the battery as it had expanded. You may get a fuse blow on it, commonly the one that controls the backlight, which is also an easy repair or there are places that can relace it for you for around £30
OP Gav Parker 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker:
It took 5 days but the rice worked!! Phone working fine now...
 BAdhoc 29 Jun 2013
In reply to Gav Parker:
apologies in advance if anyone is offended by ethnic banter...

http://meatballcandy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/phone-fix-place-in-rice...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...