UKC

Newbie runner advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 23 Jun 2013
Hi I've just started running and set myself an ambitious target of running the aviemore half marathon in October. I'm already encountering a few problems like painful nipples, sweat causing upper thigh grazes, tight calves, sore kness when spinning. So I went shopping today and bought nipple guards and longer length shorts. I looked at a new pair of trainers. shop suggested I buy one size bigger than usual. Is this recommended or is it along the lines of "buy your climbing shoes too small" advice? Is there any other little niggles I should be on the look out for? Also bought a nike plus sportsband and cant get the website to download the calibration etc page. Any advice?

Thanks
 Run_Ross_Run 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:
By a tube of 'glide' it'll solve all your chaffing issues. Wiggle do it.
 BAdhoc 10 Jul 2013
Never heard buy your shoes too big, for running you want them snug around the mid bit of your foot, and the heel with the lift otherwise you'll get cloisters, and quick in this heat!
 BAdhoc 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Beckyi:
*blisters damn autocorrect
PopShot 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:
> (In reply to GRUMPY MONKEY)
> By a tube of 'glide' it'll solve all your chaffing issues. Wiggle do it.

I use KY Jelly it's easier to get hold of and does the job just the same.
In reply to Beckyi:
> (In reply to GRUMPY MONKEY)
> Never heard buy your shoes too big,

I have. The advice is to have space for toes. The ankle support lacing help prevent rotational and shift from heel cup but frees up the toes not to be compressed.

youtube.com/watch?v=oGZ0cQ5cwQ8&
 Ridge 11 Jul 2013

Nipple guards???

As you're new to running I'd say don't push it too hard until you have a base level of fitness and you've strengthened up. Also don't ignore those tight calves, ensure you have a good stretching routine. And don't obsess on always beating your last time, that way lies injury.
 StefanB 11 Jul 2013

One bigger than usual sound like very strange advice, although many people buy their shoes with too little toe space. This is due to the shoe being not right for their foot and in oder to get a decent fit width wise they buy really small shoes.

Muscle tightness is to be expected after starting a new activity. Sore knees is not to be expected. Don't overdo it, especially make sure your muscles recover well before heading out again, as running on tight muscles can cause all sort of issues, especially if you are new this high impact sport.

StefanB 11 Jul 2013
In reply to StefanB:

Also, if you get nipple rash in short training runs, invest in a decent running vest or t-shirt. There shouldn't b any need for nipple guards in half marathon training.
 The New NickB 11 Jul 2013
In reply to StefanB:
> (In reply to StefanB)
>
> Also, if you get nipple rash in short training runs, invest in a decent running vest or t-shirt. There shouldn't b any need for nipple guards in half marathon training.

It depends on the individual, I have a regular training partner who looks like he has been shot in the chest after 6/7 miles if he doesn't tape up.
 Jon Jones 11 Jul 2013

Small square of medical tape on each nip! Works great!
 yorkshireman 11 Jul 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Steff)
> [...]
>
> It depends on the individual, I have a regular training partner who looks like he has been shot in the chest after 6/7 miles if he doesn't tape up.

I think it improves over time though, maybe they toughen up. I used to get sore and bleeding nipples on marathon distance runs without taping up (maybe a couple of years ago), now it doesn't seem to bother me.

That said, certain running tops give me a bit of discomfort, and I seem to be better when I'm running with a backpack, I think the strapping stops the shirt from moving as freely over the nips.

To the OP - welcome to the sport and enjoy. Despite all the gruesome anecdotes and conflicting advice it will be a lot of fun
 Banned User 77 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY: Where trainers that fit...

I wear slightly too big for ultra's.. maybe half a size.

Not snug.. not large.. just what fit..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...