UKC

Elbrus info needed !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Cooper 24 Jun 2013
Looking to climb the Elbrus next year and could do with some info.

What guide companies are the best value for money? Have heard lots about Pilgrim tours and the prices seem reasonable. anybody have experience with using this operator? Any recommendations for other operators?

Best time of year to go? is it similar to the Alpine season May-Sept or is it different ?

Whats the current safety situation like? I've heard that their is a risk of militants however i'm taking this as hear say.

Any websites, links or other Forums you can point me too would be great.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help.

Matt UK
 pass and peak 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Matt300:
Hi Matt
Last time I had personal contact with Pilgrim tours was in 2009, they were one of the better Russian outfits catering to western clients and I expect they are still right up there. if all your after is a standard climb over 9-10 day with the tick in the box then you could probably do no better for the price. As for time of year May is too early for stable weather, think about the 2nd week in June onwards. I've just left the Caucasus yesterday, Domodedovo airport now, weather's been good for the last 2 weeks but rained a lot before that. Security in reality is no problem at the moment (insurance company's might say otherwise) but the Olympics may throw up a few things, so I would reserve judgement till the spring. My Russian trips are now restricted to June due to other work commitments, Might be looking to arrange something for next June so bare me in mind, especially if their is a group of you (Similar price as PT for groups). Regards Mark.
 The Patriot 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Matt300: Try MountainTracks.co.uk. Just done Mont Blanc with them. Very professional company. Highly recommend them. They do do it cos I've enquirer myself for next May.
 Axel Smeets 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Matt300:

Jagged Globe have just announced they're going back to Elbrus for the first time in many years (last one 1999?). The chap who's leading the first trip (they are doing two) is a good bloke too.
OP Matt Cooper 30 Jul 2013
In reply to pass and peak: Thanks for the advice. Trying to get a team together so will msg you if this all comes together.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...