UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Metolius Gatekeeper Belay Carabiner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 24 Jun 2013
Metolius Gatekeeper Belay Carabiner, 3 kbVery easy to use belay/rappel biner that keeps the carabiner properly aligned on the belay loop to prevent cross loading

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5570
 Joe Miller 24 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: Nice idea, but is there any chance of having a normal belay device clip itself into the bottom part by accident when belaying?
Boulders@Cardiff 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Joe Miller:

I've just been and checked this out Joe, and because the 'biner is longer than average, the holding loop of most belay devices (I had a look with a Verso, a Bug and a VC Pro) is about 1/2 an inch away from the inner gate when using it normally.

Something with an extra massive holding loop like a Mega Jul could potentially get caught in the gate, but I wouldn't recommend one of these for use with a Mega Jul anyway as they work best with completely round HMS krabs.
 Joe Miller 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Boulders@Cardiff: Thanks for that, definitely have to give this a go.
 daviesxxx 25 Jun 2013
does this work with a click-up device?
Boulders@Cardiff 25 Jun 2013
In reply to daviesxxx:

I haven't got a Click Up to check with, but I'm not sure the profile would be rounded enough for the click up to work effectively (similar to the Mega Jul). Climbing Technology do a similar product that's recommended for use with the Click Up though, called the Concept SGL HC.
bust3r 25 Jun 2013
In reply to daviesxxx:

Click up seems rather picky when it comes to carabiners and different ropes (I find mine a pain when it comes to that).

you're looking for something perfectly round, otherwise it won't lock properly and will just cause you grief.

If I'm honest I still can't quite understand the concept of belay carabiners... personally never had a problem with a normal HMS (apart from the click up, but I can't quite justify blowing on the CT biner just yet)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...