UKC

Belay glasses - which ones..?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 24 Jun 2013
I'm in the market for a pair of belay glasses. Not interested in making my own or whatever and would prefer good/robust design.

The two main ones I've found are CU and Belaggles. The former do distribute in the UK for a bit over £100 but the latter need to be bought via the US (and would I think be closer to £90 with shipping and import VAT). So there's not a lot in it really and the US option seems more hassle.

Anyway, apart from the hassle of importing the Belaggles, they do appear to be a bit more robust and possibly wider field of view (if that's actually a good thing).

Does anyone have experience of these (preferably both!).

Thanks in advance
 HeMa 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Don't really think there's much difference between 'em.

CU's seem a tad lighter, and thus could be more comfortable.

Anyway, Belagges seem to retail here in Finland for 90 €... so me thinks you should be able to get them cheaper than 90 £, even with taxes and whotnot. The CUs were a tad more expensive.
OP Skyfall 24 Jun 2013
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

The belaggles are about $90 + $25 shipping + 20% import VAT (I think) which, at our exchange rate, makes them about £90. The CU's are just over £100. As I say, not a lot in it and would prefer to get the better make.

I have to say the belaggles look a bit more robust, look easier to slip on one handed, and the website refers to a wider field of view (which may suggest they mean in comparison to the CU's).
OP Skyfall 24 Jun 2013
No one else?
OP Skyfall 24 Jun 2013
In reply to craig1983:

Thanks - I did do a search and found that thread but it only talks about the CU variety; I've seen no real comment on the Vagazzles, sorry, Belaggles. I saw and briefly tried a pair last night at the wall which seemed really quite nifty but was wondering about the comparison.
 craig1983 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Sorry, should have expanded...I was actually trying to point towards a third cheaper option.... http://belayglass.blogspot.co.uk/
 monkeys 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
Which wall were you at for the Belaggles ?
 rug 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

There is only a 10% price difference if your calculations are correct. The CUs are widely used here (and you say you have tried them), and I've not read anything bad about them. I own a pair, and my neck is very thankful for it.

If the 10 quid potential saving is worth the risk, then try the Belaggles. if not, go for the known qualities of the CU. They will probably get to you rather quicker too.

It depends on how much you want to save the tenner or so. Reviews of Belaggles seem very thin on the ground though, so it would be a bit of a punt.

"you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Rug
OP Skyfall 24 Jun 2013
In reply to rug:

No, sorry for any confusion, I tried a pair of the Bejaggles (daft name) at the wall last night. They seemed very good, looked fine, and seemed quite sturdy, image well night perfect. The only downside is that the owner said he had only had them a short while and somehow one of the prisms had been chipped slightly. I didn't notice any effect from that but it seemed to run contrary to their apparent sturdiness (which in a sense makes me worry even more about the CU's).

I would have thought, however, the Bejaggles would be slower getting to me - from the US - whereas the CU's seem to have a UK distributor.

I completely agree that £10 is nothing really, as I said. Hence why I would just like to hear the thoughts of anyone who's tried both in particular.

I've not seen the CU's in action at all. They look fairly cool, as these things go, quite minimalist. Which is partly what worries me - they look a little vulnerable whereas the Bejaggles look a bit more sturdy without looking to nerdy - ooh that rhymes Also the Bejaggles are supposed to have a wider field of view.

Anyway, just repeating myself here. I think the reason there are so few reviews of Bejaggles is that they are fairly new on the market (and only distributed in the US).

As you say, I suspect it's going to come down to taking a punt at one or t'other.
OP Skyfall 24 Jun 2013
In reply to monkeys:

I was just trying someone's who climbs there, they weren't on sale.
 rallymania 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

seriously recommend you try some CU's before you buy those other ones.

Mark Harding 24 Jun 2013
In reply to rallymania:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
>
>
> seriously recommend you try some CU's before you buy those other ones.

Agreed, I went for the CU's after using a mate's glasses at the wall. They are expensive but a seriously good product.
Having said that, I've not tried the others!

rug 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

The Belaggles look chunkier, but look like plastic frames, while CU are thin, but steel. Chances are that one may break where the other would bend. Having said that, you would need to bend them straight again very accurately, or you would have a split image.

I meant CU would be quicker to get hold of - sorry for not being clear. Also, having a local distributor is going to be handy if you do have a problem with them.

I don't know where you are based, but I have seen several people with them at the Stockport Awesome walls. Or if you're going to be in the Peak over the weekend, then I could meet you somewhere for you to have a look at a pair of CUs in the flesh.

Rug
 Fraser 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

I've only used the CU variety, but have to say they're brilliant. Money well spent IMO.
 winhill 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

you could write to Alan James and offer to review them for the site, if he can secure a review pair for you.

when cu specs first came out they weren't sold in the uk so people used to band together and buy in bulk to reduce the cost.

or you could just bulk buy yourself and then sell them independently.
 Si Witcher 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Fraser:
I have a pair of CU and a pair of belaggles, and I'd say get the belaggles if you can find a pair for the same price or less.

The belaggles design seems to be the natural evolution of the older CU design. The belaggles frame is much more convenient to put on with one hand, due to wider, less springy arms, and they naturally sit in the right place on my nose, without having to adjust as per the CU glasses. I also find the CU prisms sit a little too close to my eyes, whereas the belaggles are just right.
 Richard Wilson 24 Jun 2013
Is there a version for people that wear glasses already?
 cha1n 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

The minimalist nature of the CU's is an advantage, surely? Those other ones look like they would obstruct your peripheral vision quite badly. As others have said, I'd be far more worried about plastic frames than metal ones. The plastic ones will be weak at the hinges, like any plastic framed glasses.

I never had any problems putting the glasses on one handed but usually put them on before I started belaying.

Bigger lenses would be nice though as the projected image is quite small, you get used to it though.
 rallymania 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Richard Wilson:
> Is there a version for people that wear glasses already?

yep my mate wears his "over" (more correctly in front of) his regular glasses and i wear mine as well as sunglasses outdoors. (that's CU's btw)

I've said on several occasions that the UK distributor for CU is a mate of mine (so you can decide for yourself if you think I'm being honest or not)

I'll say this about the CU's vs Belaggles

2 year UK warranty vs 1 year return to USA!
CU's are hand made in Germany. from stainless steel and the prisms are superb.
Belaggles are plastic with a hinge, which as mentioned above "may not be" as durable?
oh and if you order CU's today you should get them tomorrow, not in 10 days time.
...are US dispatched goods liable for import duty and VAT anyone?

both have facebook pages with genuine reviews might be worth a look

and one final suggestion... why don't you try contact both vendors and see if either can offer a trial pair?
OP Skyfall 24 Jun 2013
In reply to rallymania:

You are coming across as v biased, unfortunately. I get the pros of the CU's in many ways. Just interested in comparative performance - which only one person has been able to answer, in favour of the bedazzles.

As I said, there is import VAT on the us imports but that was taken into account in my figures arriving at circa £90. (Below the duty de minimis of £135). Amazing no one bothers to read the info I've posted already as all I've done is repeat myself ...
 rallymania 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to rallymania)

> As I said, there is import VAT on the us imports but that was taken into account in my figures arriving at circa £90. (Below the duty de minimis of £135). Amazing no one bothers to read the info I've posted already as all I've done is repeat myself ...

fair enough, I'll take that one on the chin!

I'm not a sales man for either product, so stock advice, do you have the opportunity to try both before you buy either?
estivoautumnal 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Have you tried using one of the neck travel pillows? I once saw someone using one of them as a neck rest at the crag. Not sure how effective it was but cold save you £100.
 Pyreneenemec 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Excuse my ignorance, but I had to Google 'Belay Glasses' to find out what the fùck they were !

metal arms 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

You are excused.
 Chi Cheng 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
Hey hey,

here is a little review that i read before i bought my CU Belay glasses.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/a-brief-comparison-between-belay-specs-and...

Chi
 hms 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall: The CU ones may look somewhat thin and minimalist but they are surprisingly sturdy. They also come in a fairly strong plastic storage box. My husband puts them on to belay me, then pops them back in the box for his routes to keep them safe.
 IPPurewater 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Skyfall: Is there somewhere you can order them in the EU, so you don't have to pay the import duty ? It might reduce the cost for you.
 Si Witcher 26 Jun 2013
In reply to IPPurewater:

I believe Belaggles are going to be sold via Amazon in the uk soon, if you can wait.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...