UKC

Images of women on our banknotes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jkarran 24 Jun 2013
This is probably a really silly question but if two lots of artwork are produced for each issue of a note, why aren't they both released?

If there's a boom in fake 'Churchills' then they can be recalled and destroyed. While they're being replaced, the 'Davison' or 'Lovelace' or whoever it is can remain in circulation (or visa versa of course). It's not without precedent, there are already several different £5 note designs legally in circulation.

Ok, so at some point to further upgrade security both designs have to be withdrawn but if the plates for both the release and contingency design exist you still lose the development cost of both in that scenario at present.

jk
 trouserburp 24 Jun 2013
In reply to jkarran:

Am I being dense or is there already a woman on every banknote?
 winhill 24 Jun 2013
In reply to jkarran:

> While they're being replaced, the 'Davison' or 'Lovelace' or whoever it is can remain in circulation (or visa versa of course).

Does the Lovelace involve scratch n sniff technology?

I got some scottish notes in scotland and couldn't use the self service till in morrison's cos they wouldn't read them.

OP jkarran 26 Jun 2013
In reply to trouserburp:

> Am I being dense or is there already a woman on every banknote?

Clearly not but one that's there on merit not privilege is what's being talked about.

My question specifically was what's gained by holding back a design in reserve or put another way, what's the problem with releasing both commissioned designs. We have a multitude of coin designs in each denomination and already have several different note designs in circulation from the Scottish and Northern Irish banks.

jk
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2013
In reply to jkarran:

Controversial, maybe, but maybe the number of uncontentious and recogniseable British female candidates for bank notes are in pretty short supply, so they're being rationed out ?
 Rob Naylor 26 Jun 2013
In reply to jkarran:

In the past Florence Nightingale and Elizabeth Fry have both appeared on banknotes.
 The New NickB 26 Jun 2013
In reply to GrahamD:

Would you recognise the men on some of the notes without having the names there. Adam Smith is hardly a familiar face.

The Brontes, Jane Austin, Emeline Pankhurst, Roselind Franklin even Margaret Thatcher.
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

> Would you recognise the men on some of the notes without having the names there. Adam Smith is hardly a familiar face.

Not a familiar face, but a familiar name

> The Brontes, Jane Austin, Emeline Pankhurst, Roselind Franklin even Margaret Thatcher.

But its not a long list, is it ? You could burn through the list with very few banknote reissues, I think (PS a bit early for Maggie, I suspect )

gribble 26 Jun 2013
> even Margaret Thatcher.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
In reply to GrahamD:

Not a long list because I didn't want to write out loads, there are hundreds of women from history that are or should be as famous as Adam Smith.
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2013

Substantially fewer than there are men, I strongly suspect. For instance, I'm struggling to think of any significant histortical engineering achievement or Scientific achievement attributable to a British woman but I can probably list hundreds of men.

Why this should be is another debate entirely !
In reply to GrahamD:

You didn't read my very short list very well then!
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2013

I have to admit to having to Google Roselind Franklin (and I bet I'm not alone). Where would she rank in terms of well known scientific figures, do you think ? Pretty much everyone will have heard of Newton, Maxwell, Darwin, Hawkins ?
In reply to GrahamD:

Not as highly as she should, I wonder why that is.

I didn't know who Elizabeth Fry was until she appeared on a fiver.
 Mike Highbury 26 Jun 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> I have to admit to having to Google Roselind Franklin (and I bet I'm not alone). Where would she rank in terms of well known scientific figures, do you think ?

Wasn't the Double Helix one of the 50 books that we must read before we die, or some such?

As for Elizabeth Fry, God damn her wretched reforming bones. Prisons were fun before the likes of she came along.
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2013

> Not as highly as she should, I wonder why that is.

As I said - thats a differnt question. A list of 'fame' versus 'scientific merit' may or may not show a gender prejudice but more likely is that historically women won't have been allowed to make significant contributions and therefore there are genuinely many fewer female candidates.
Jim C 26 Jun 2013
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> Would you recognise the men on some of the notes without having the names there. Adam Smith is hardly a familiar face.
>
> The Brontes, Jane Austin, Emeline Pankhurst, Roselind Franklin even Margaret Thatcher.

Holly Willoboobby, is fairly recognisable....
In reply to Jim C:

Perhaps better reserved for the £3 note...?
August West 28 Jun 2013

> ... even Margaret Thatcher.

When I was in the USA a few years ago my cousins friend who had gone to a southern university told me that some of the locals would not accept $5 bills because they have a picture of Abraham Lincoln on them.

If the Bank of England put an image of Thatcher on a bank note I would probably do the same (although obviously for different reasons).

Bimble 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Furthur:

Expensive toilet paper.
Jim C 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Furthur:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> [...]
>
> When I was in the USA a few years ago my cousins friend who had gone to a southern university told me that some of the locals would not accept $5 bills because they have a picture of Abraham Lincoln on them.
>
> If the Bank of England put an image of Thatcher on a bank note I would probably do the same (although obviously for different reasons).

You occasionally hear about southern taxi drivers refusing Scottish notes, I think in this instance the roles could be reversed, with some Scottish taxi drivers perhaps refusing Thatcher notes.

Alyson 28 Jun 2013
In reply to jkarran: I'd like to see Mary Seacole on a banknote.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...