UKC

Big Decision: Fuji X-E1 or Sony NEX 6

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 london_huddy 26 Jun 2013
Like many folk, I'm sick of lugging my slr (5D3) around the hills and am looking at a smaller mirrorless gadget.

I flirted with the Canon EOS-M and just didn't like it (AF just wasn't up to the job) and have now narrowed the decision to either the Fuji X-E1 or the Sony NEX 6.

I'll be popping into a shop to gets hands on with them both this lunchtime but, in classic UKC style, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on these two fine cameras.
 ChrisJD 26 Jun 2013
In reply to london_huddy:

It has to be the Fuji!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jun 2013

I bought a Sony NEX 7 last year for the same reasons and I have been stunned by the results. When I dug my D300 out of the cupboard a couple of weeks ago to stick on EBay I was shocked at the size and weight of it!

A crop (roughly half of the image)from the 7 using the kit lens:

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/147580617

Chris
OP london_huddy 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

How's the size of the NEX 7 - it felt quite big. I have (an unrealistic) idea of being to put a pancake prime on it and stick it in a pocket...

I like the design of the fuji but the price of the sony! there's £150 in it so far as i can see.

That shot is just about sharp enough to shave with.
 ChrisJD 26 Jun 2013

Have a look at this:

youtube.com/watch?v=jmwEQB0KM8U&

> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> How's the size of the NEX 7 - it felt quite big. I have (an unrealistic) idea of being to put a pancake prime on it and stick it in a pocket...
>
> I like the design of the fuji but the price of the sony! there's £150 in it so far as i can see.

Well it is all comparative. I have bought the 16-50 power zoom which makes the whole package pretty compact, I carry it in a hip-holster. I got the lens for £140 off eBay (brand new stock).

http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Alpha-NEX-16-50mm-Retractable-Zoom-Lens/en/p/S...

I have also bought the RX-100 on the strength of the NEX-7 - though the results aren't really comparable as the sensor is only 1/4 the size.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Interesting - what do you think of the RX-100? I've got an S95 which is my dive camera and it's just not up to very much at all, very washy and not particularly sharp.

It is a decent camera, very portable and versatile. Good for carrying on routes, but no viewfinder and a bit clunky to use with fat fingers, plus I can't help comparing with the NEX-7 all the time!

http://upload.pbase.com/image/151001182/original

and

http://upload.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/151001184

Chris
 Graham Mck 26 Jun 2013
In reply to london_huddy: Since I got my Fuji x100 I haven't really used my DSLR and will probably sell it soon! I would also get the Fuji over the Sony.
 ChrisJD 26 Jun 2013

Couple of XE-1 quick grab shot from Hope Valley Car show the other night:

These are hand held 18mm 1/250 f8, jpg out of camera (download and pixel peep if you want).

ISO 800:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/14fiyhy5rzmct9w/_DSF0806.jpg

ISO 3200
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw1zp2q22npbmzx/_DSF0808.jpg

Most of the time I use the X-E1 in manual mode, with Auto ISO up to 6400. It's really neat as the camera uses ISO to get exposure right at the shutter speed and f-stop you want (so Its a 'modern verion' of Manual when using AutoISO). I love the feel of the camera and the dials and the very clever/cool implementation of manual, shutter and aperture priority modes.

In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks Chris, I have been peeping... Are they with the kit 18-55?

I'm leaning towards the Fuji but the proof will be getting hands-on with them both.

ChrisJD 26 Jun 2013

Yep kit, 18-55mm.

One of the guys in the office has the Pro with the Primes....very very nice.
 ChrisJD 26 Jun 2013

The X-E1 at low ISO will never beat my big old Canon 1DsII with L lenses for image quality, but at higher ISO it really rocks. And it's not the size of a house. And it's somewhat cheaper.
In reply to ChrisJD:

That's pretty much where I'm coming from. I'll reach for the 1dX or 5d3 with heavy glass for full on IQ but for other stuff, I want something more than an S95!

ChrisJD 26 Jun 2013

Then I've no doubt you will love using the XE-1.

I treat it as my 'compact' pocket camera (it will fit in my jacket pocket (just) even with the 18-55mm on).

ChrisJD 26 Jun 2013

And where I've always gone on about shooting RAW..... I take it all back with the X-E1, the out of camera jpgs are amazing.
 ChrisJD 26 Jun 2013

Just realised who you are! - hindu in 'old money'.

Hope you are well.
In reply to ChrisJD:

Hi Chris,

Ha, yeah, I thought I'd grow up a bit of lose the nickname I gained at uni many moons ago!

Not gonna get to the shop today but will do tomorrow. From what I can see, there's not much between the Fuji and Sony on pure IQ so it'll be a handling decision (and perhaps a bit of aesthetics).

Thanks to everyone for the info and views.
 ChrisJD 26 Jun 2013

This is a fun review of X100s, which has the same bloodline as the XE-1.
(after handing both, I went for the X-E1)

http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100s-review-a-cam...
In reply to ChrisJD:

Awesome:

"A young good looking kid walks in the door. Tattered 501′s. Grease stained tee. Three days of scruff. He walks with confidence. All the ladies take notice of him. The cougar den at the table next to Sony, Oly, and Pana all perk up and freshen their lips and shorten their skirts. His name is Fuji and everyone but Leica avoids making eye contact with him. Leica turns on his bar stool and gracefully nods his head to Fuji. Fuji, knowing he’s in good company at the bar, fires a grin and a wink at the old man. Leica sees himself as a younger man in this Fuji kid. Back before he opened his stupid boutique stores and started a line of t-shirts and baseball caps. (Leica should have never listened to his old friend Ferrari.)"
 ChrisJD 27 Jun 2013

So. what did you buy then?
OP london_huddy 27 Jun 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Nothing yet! I'm struggling to get out of work to get to the shop - it'll probably be next week by the look of things.

The Fuji looks highly likely! I've got a couple of lenses available at a lot less than list price, which helps!
baron 27 Jun 2013
Read this thread by chance - bit bored at work - and thought I'd check out the cameras mentioned - being a bit of a photo taker in the past.
Having seen the prices of them, before adding on any fancy lenses it looks like I'll be sticking with the old Pentax ME Super (and the accompanying out of focus,under/over exposed photos) for the forseeable future.

pmc
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Jun 2013
>
>
> The Fuji looks highly likely! I've got a couple of lenses available at a lot less than list price, which helps!

Don't commit until you have had a fiddle (so to speak)!

Chris
 ChrisJD 27 Jun 2013

Firmware Update due on 23rd July will add Focus Peaking to the X-E1:

http://www.fujifilm.eu/nc/uk/news/article/news/fujifilm-announces-x-pro1-an...
 shaun walby 05 Jul 2013

I was consider these two, in the end the better glass available with the Fuji nailed it, just posted a pano from Chamonix shot with Fuji X-E1 see thread in Photography.

Shaun
 ChrisJD 05 Jul 2013

You decided yet?!
 ChrisBrooke 05 Jul 2013
In reply to london_huddy: I bought the NEX-6 a few months ago and have loved using it. The kit lens is quite a lot smaller than the one that comes with the 7, so the overall package is smaller. You'll have to find the exact right case to be able to comfortably carry it on a route. I haven't yet and my current case is a bit too bulky to want to put on my harness/rucksack. Still, the images have been stunning (with a bit of lightroom post).

OP london_huddy 05 Jul 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Not yet - I'm on a job Silverstone at the moment and may well use the ill-gotten gains from it to fund the purchase: don't worry - I'll let you know what I do!

Can someone send water and suncream to the burnt photographer at the entry to copse please?!
Removed User 16 Jul 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Chris, have you ditched the dSLR's then? I'm really tempted by the Fuji, must admit I'm getting a bit tired lugging the dSLR about and the length of that zoom would cover most of my stuff which is landscape to pics of the kids and the odd gig and portrait shot. Love my wee X10 so I know the user interface well. Given your previous evangelic zeal for the RAW (which I share!!) are you really convinced by the jpegs? What about in strong contrast when you'd expose for the highlights and tease out the shadows post pro?

Reckon flogging my 70-200 f4L IS would take a fair chunk out of the pain...
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserChrisJD)
>
> Reckon flogging my 70-200 f4L IS would take a fair chunk out of the pain...

That's the one lens you'll have to prise from my dead hand.

I'm thinking of flogging my 16-35 and 24-105 to get a Fuji system with UWA, WA, and normal
lenses.
 ChrisJD 17 Jul 2013

No not ditched the DSLR!

The Fuji is my carry everywhere compact. Great for kids and fun stuff where you just want to capture the moment.

The Fuji (great as it is) can't yet compete with the old Canon and L lenses (used the Canon it at the weekend for village Gala and the IQ & lens range is still way ahead). And the FF DSLR is still a joy to use. And RAW is the way to go from my Canon

But, yes, the Fuji jpegs are amazing - I just treat them like RAWSs in LR5 (tried to match the Fuji jpgs in LR5 from Fuji RAW and failed!). But I think that is a function of just how good the Fuji in-camera conversion is (unlike many other camera makers) and how not-very-good LR5 is at dealing with the X-Trans sensor. I'm a PC user, but if you are on Mac, then http://www.iridientdigital.com/ is meant to be the top dog for Fuji-X RAW conversion.

http://www.fujirumors.com/leica-vs-fuji-before-and-after-iridient-or-how-a-...

The Fuji seems to have a big DR and deals with high contrast scenes really well in jpeg. Just point and it kind of does what it needs to do.. And the sweep Panaorama is great, and the high ISO and the Auto-Iso combined with Manual....I could go on....

And my suggestion (at the moment) - buy the Fuji! And keep the DSLR.
Removed User 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Dispater:
Would agree with you if I wasn't thinking of getting rid of the whole Canon dSLR kit.I'm coming to the conclusion that photography has to fit round my lifestyle not the other way about and carting all that gear doesn't work. All the decent work I do is never at length and generally on the move as well.
Removed User 17 Jul 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Aye the gut reaction would be to do that.... no' sure the wife would agree. Guess another option would to be to replace the walk around lens to an L lens, but I don't have a FF Canon, it's the 50D nice kit but still a muckle beast to take on the hills or wandering about. I will investigate further on the RAW convertor as I have a Mac and can have a play with the X10 RAF files.

Cheers for getting back to me.
OP london_huddy 17 Jul 2013

Your kit should indeed work for you rather than visa versa. The best camera is always the one you have with you and the slr just can't go everywhere.

Moreover, a lot of DSLR owners use them solely with the kit lens and in full auto and dervive barel ny benefit from them but so long as they're happy, no harm done and more money for the manufacturers for r&d!

I''m not suggesting that you fall into this category at all by the way.

Having had both the Sony and Fuji in hand, I really like the Fuji and will be making the purchase in the next few days.
 ChrisJD 17 Jul 2013

> Having had both the Sony and Fuji in hand, I really like the Fuji and will be making the purchase in the next few days.

I was thinking of getting the X100s, then I picked up the X-E1 with 18-55mm and it was game over - the X-E1 just feels so right. It's the closest I'll ever come to owning a Leica
In reply to ChrisJD:

I was tempted to wait for the x-M1 on size but although it's smaller it lacks the top end processor and has the same AF and sensor so maybe not...

My second shooter t an event a couple of weeks ago had an x-100s which gave some cracking shots so I'm having fewer and fewer reservations about the idea of leaving the big canon behind for trips. I'm waiting form the invoice to be paid for that job and will them spend it forthwith, all to avoid unnecessary and taxable profit you understand - I'm sure my accountant would support it if I asked him...
 ChrisJD 17 Jul 2013

Not really paid that much attention to the X-M1 so far - but just had a look at specs etc and does look cool! And small!
In reply to ChrisJD:

Don't you start! It does look like a neat and tidy little thing.

I'm just about swayed by the viewfinder on the E1 and the processor.

However, the wifi, size and weight could pull me to the M1. I'll see what the rumours are on release date because I don't need to before the beginning of August.
 ChrisJD 17 Jul 2013

By looking at teh photos of the M1, it looks like it lacks some of the controls of the E1 that make it so good (don't call me out on hat, just guessing from the pictures!). Also, I'd much rather have the optical viewfinder of the X100s or Pro over the EVF on the E1 - cna't quite get into it.
In reply to ChrisJD:

The X100s' dual mode view finder was a treat on the bright and sunny day we had. Even with the brightness all the way up, the screen was difficult to use so even an EVF is better. The construction on the M1 is more plastic orientated as well and I'm a big fan of durability because I buy camera gear to use it and this will get a little moderate abuse which it needs to be able to cope with.

I'm going to get my hands on both the Pro and E1 very shortly and will let you know what I think...

dek 17 Jul 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:
X100s?... Isn't it fekin gorgeous? Do in need yet another camera, No!
Do I really, really want one?....hell yeah!
 ChrisJD 17 Jul 2013
In reply to dek:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
> X100s?... Isn't it fekin gorgeous? Do in need yet another camera, No!
> Do I really, really want one?....hell yeah!

But as soon as I tried the X-E1, I had to have that over the X100s...

Removed User 17 Jul 2013

Looking at the shots over the past few years it's mostly urban and trad postcard landscape, a few portraits, some gig work and family stuff so I'm really questioning the need for the features the dSLR gives me versus the bulk and general faff. I don't do nature or sports as well so do I really need the length of the 70-200?

Talking myself into the X-E1 here!! Probaly save a for a prime when I'm in the States next year as well.

X-M1 looks nice, do need a viewfinder though, still a bit old school there.

All,

to bring this to a conclusion: I now have a lovely X-E1, 18-55 and 18mm prime, all paid for by a sold lens.

Chris - you may now relax.

Thanks for the advice and info throughout.

AH
 ChrisJD 17 Jul 2013

Awesome - you will be very happy, I'm sure. Look forward to seeing the images!

In reply to ChrisJD:
Me too! Lakes tourism with some friends from the US this weekend (alas, no climbing) and thence to Lundy in a few weeks for the first real test.
Removed User 17 Jul 2013

Nice one, time for me to start doing some calculations...
In reply to ChrisJD:

Chris, how are you finding the focussing on the X-E1? I'm not seeing any forum hysteria about any of the new ILC X series models, but there is some persistent low level grumbling about the AF being a bit hit and miss.

TIA
 ChrisJD 18 Jul 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I use the centre and recompose. New firmware 23 july will improve auto focus and add peaking. Fuji has a great approach of keep improving via firmware.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...